blacktown is going down (1 Viewer)

dodgyfilokid

HSC
well for those who go to the campus at blacktown aka quakers hill aka middle of nowhere...hopefully u chums have received an email from the vc saying that the campus is closing down!!!! wooohoo for me...no more early mornin wake ups and no more spendin 30 bucks a week for a travelpass..not to mention the fact dat parra is soo close to campus....basically construction dudes get sent to penrith and business ones go to parra....im sure everyone supports these..damn time they do so :)

L

LaraB

dodgyfilokid said:
well for those who go to the campus at blacktown aka quakers hill aka middle of nowhere...hopefully u chums have received an email from the vc saying that the campus is closing down!!!! wooohoo for me...no more early mornin wake ups and no more spendin 30 bucks a week for a travelpass..not to mention the fact dat parra is soo close to campus....basically construction dudes get sent to penrith and business ones go to parra....im sure everyone supports these..damn time they do so :)
not necessarily a good thing considering part of these cuts have also included a reduction in teh units and time slots available to accomodate the increased population on the other campuses....

None of these chagnes are good things coz theyr'e all teh result of cost cutting in some way...

So glad i'll be gone by the time the changes start to have a serious impact on students...

dilroy

HSC
Parramatta is somewhat of a hole as it is now. Some days you'll see more dust balls floating around than people walking about, so I guess the welcome of more students is a positive sign.

However, whether this place is adequate enough to hold the amount of incoming students is another thing. Parking space is never enough some days, public transportation is at its worse in the early morning when there are sometimes 3 buses needed to get people to and from Parramatta station, the library is very full and even worse computer stations at the library are always taken 90% of the day.

It would be very good if the campus utilised the evening classes, as it is very empty after 6pm.

Last edited:

dodgyfilokid

HSC
the way i see it is that there are two groups affected by the change: those who live round the campus and those who live outside the campus....those who live near the campus are of course in a disadvantage since now they will be the ones forced to travel to parra which means additional costs..but for those livin outside d campus catchment then its a godsend including myself....we end up spendin less time on d train and less time worryin if our trains are delayed or not, not to mention d costs associated....

btw...they have said in the email that theyr constructing new buildings for parra....i would assume this will be for business students but i do agree with dilroy...the library at parra is crowded as hell ive been there few times and its a fight to secure a computer

L

LaraB

dilroy said:
Parramatta is somewhat of a hole as it is now. Some days you'll see more dust balls floating around than people walking about, so I guess the welcome of more students is a positive sign.

However, whether this place is adequate enough to hold the amount of incoming students is another thing. Parking space is never enough some days, public transportation is at its worse in the early morning when there are sometimes 3 buses needed to get people to and from Parramatta station, the library is very full and even worse computer stations at the library are always taken 90% of the day.

It would be very good if the campus utilised the evening classes, as it is very empty after 6pm.
there's plenty of room - the new building takes just about the entire campus atm and they're fixing up edg and the other big buildings...

blacktown campus' population is tiny compared to most the others so they'll fit fine..

Especially if the rumours about law and other things eventually heading out campbelltown way are true

There's more computers now too - obvoiusly hardly a nyone konws about them since they're usually half empty - there's little copmuter rooms and study rooms all through the new building

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Announcing the plans, UWS Vice-Chancellor Professor Janice Reid says the University will build a $24.7m new teaching building in Parramatta by 2009 to accommodate the additional students.
I guess there wouldnt be a problem with more students, but where in the world would they fit another new building on parra campus??on top of the carpark??

L

LaraB

RabbitRabbit said:
I guess there wouldnt be a problem with more students, but where in the world would they fit another new building on parra campus??on top of the carpark??
maybe they're demolishing older ones?

some were in pretty ordinary condition and if they could build in place of them, they could built all 2 or 3 storey ones and fit heaps more in a smaller space..

rawfromearth

HSC
N/A
How about the Property course ? Will this course be available at Parra campus as well ?

j_davo24

HSC
LaraB said:
maybe they're demolishing older ones?

some were in pretty ordinary condition and if they could build in place of them, they could built all 2 or 3 storey ones and fit heaps more in a smaller space..
AFAIK the majority of the Parra site is heritage listed. They had to fight for years to get approval to build EA, so demolishing any of the buildings (besides maybe EC) would be out of the question.

Also they are going to need more carpark. There is nowhere near enough spaces now so watch the place come to an absolute stand still as people begin to be transferred over.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have to agree with the carparking issue, when I was there I had to be there pretty early to get a park and it will be worse with more students. It will be like last year when they closed off the 'temporary car park' everytime it rained, more people fighting for less spots. I heard from my friends they have sort of fixed it but I think they need to make it into actual spots because I can remember heaps of ppl parked poorly which meant you either couldnt get out or took up more than one spot.

L

LaraB

j_davo24 said:
AFAIK the majority of the Parra site is heritage listed. They had to fight for years to get approval to build EA, so demolishing any of the buildings (besides maybe EC) would be out of the question.

Also they are going to need more carpark. There is nowhere near enough spaces now so watch the place come to an absolute stand still as people begin to be transferred over.
Not all of its heritage listed so there is some they could get rid of.

But regardless - my point is the still the same - there is enough space class wise. If just about the entire uni fits in the one new biulding plus a few other class rooms at the moment, adding the blacktown campus won't be a problem as long as at the very minimum they start using EDG or something again cause that buildings got a pretty big capacity and most the rooms are a good size for the larger classes.

Looks like they will be anyways given the amount of work that's going on at the moment with it.

Car parking is the only thing that's going to be really bad... there's plenty of classrooms and computers and all of that kind of thing.

No one uses the ovals really so seems that the best thing to do would be to turn them into permanent car parks.

4eyesnb

HSC
N/A
dodgyfilokid said:
Well, it's about time they close down some campus, UWS just have too many of them. IMO Multi-campus is very inefficient within Sydney Metro, some subject just don't get enough students due to divided resources and facilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)