BIT Application Questions (1 Viewer)

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Assuming that they still do it this way: there are three types of letters which go out. The first guarantees you a position pending that your UAI is equal to or greater than 94. This is the best case scenario because even if you fall short of that UAI by around 5 points, you still have a very good chance of getting in. Another letter says you have been accepted pending your UAI, in general. Finally, there is one which says you have not been accepted.

Good luck guys/gals!

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
maybe 2 other guys were wearing suits, everyone else mostly had a relaxed dress code. Yea when we first got there we were pretty tense, but i sat around talking to this one other dude who i met when i got there and some current students and was pretty relaxed.

The interview was also fairly relaxed mostly because it didn't feel like they were trying to ask me questions with right or wrong answers, rather what approach i take to a scenario, which was much less intimidating..

JTN

HSC
I got this letter, i think it means i need to get a good enough UAI:

*BACHELOR OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, 2007 INTAKE*

Thank you for attending the selection interview for the Bachelor of
Information Technology course. Following the interviews it has been
determined that you are still eligible for entry into the course.

Final selection for the course will be made once HSC results are
available. You will be contacted by phone between Monday 18th and
Tuesday 19^th December 2006 and advised whether or not you have been
successful in gaining one of the places available for the 2007 course.

If you are successful and accept the place you will be added to our list
of chosen applicants. We will then inform UAC of those we will accept
into the BInfTech course. We will be making offers into the BInfTech
course in the preliminary UAC round on Wednesday 3rd January 2007. Note
that these offers are released earlier than the main round. UTS can
only make offers in the preliminary round where applicants have put the
relevant UTS course as their first preference. Changes to preferences
are permissible until Wednesday 20th December 2006. If you encounter
any problems in changing your preference for this course, please advise
Adam McMahon (9514-4459) immediately.

The quality of the applicants for the 2007 intake was exceptionally high
and you are to be congratulated on reaching this stage of the selection
process. If you are successful in gaining a place, I look forward to
seeing you at enrolment on Friday 9th February 2007, otherwise, I wish
you every success in your future course and career.

Yours sincerely,

Bachelor of Information Technology Administrator
I'm guessing if i get a good enough UAI, I'm in i think???

(There's no way I'm going to get anywhere near 94uai, I'll be VERY lucky to get 85 so I'm pretty happy that i got this far!)

What type of letters did everyone else get??

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
haha, i got the same letter as you

Thank you for attending the selection interview for the Bachelor of
Information Technology course. Following the interviews it has been
determined that you are still eligible for entry into the course.
I don't think im gonna get anywhere near the min UAI, its been great and im glad i got so far...but im so pissed i didn't improve my school rankings and i wish i had taken the hsc more seriously :(

I would do anything to improve my uai now... :(

GBM

HSC
Hey everyone,

I went in on the interviews on the morning of the 16th November - about 20 people, mix of casual and suits.

I received the same letter as the rest of you - the one which says "you are still eligible for entry into the course." Has anybody received a letter guaranteeing them a place if they get a certain UAI? Maybe they aren't doing those this year.

Oh well, good luck everyone, and hopefully I'll see you sometime next year!

- Steve

GBM

HSC
Hmmm, my SAM estimated UAI: 88.20

I'm certainly not comfortable with that, but hopefully all the variables should go in my favour. I certainly cant afford them to go against me...

I guess we'll all be finding out our successes today - apparently the selectors weren't sure whether they'd make their decision by Monday afternoon, and it seems that they didn't, going by the silence here.

ridewitme

http://bakakage.net
HSC
At least you're in a better position than me, SAM predicts an 82 UAI for me using this morning's results, so I have this very sick feeling that I won't be seeing you guys next year :(

GBM

HSC
ridewitme said:
At least you're in a better position than me, SAM predicts an 82 UAI for me using this morning's results, so I have this very sick feeling that I won't be seeing you guys next year :(
Hmm, that's a real pain. Are you going for the BScIT course as the next preference? The applicants that do will probably meet at the camp, enrolment or orientation.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!

ridewitme

HSC
GBM said:
Hmm, that's a real pain. Are you going for the BScIT course as the next preference? The applicants that do will probably meet at the camp, enrolment or orientation.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing!
Yeah that's my next preference. Thanks :)

GBM

HSC
well, they sure are trying to drag this out...

Nearly 4:40pm, and still no sign of contact. I'm beginning to wonder whether they exist, or whether this was just a ploy for us to send in application forms, be interviewed, then have a cruel social experient placed on us where they observe us going insane waiting...

Or maybe they're just slow.

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
My theory is that they stuffed up the dates and didn't really mean 18th and 19th. I think UAIs were out by those dates last year but not this year.

In the end, it comes down to UAIs. Without them they can't exactly call and offer places.

Or yes, we're all gerbils in an experiment. :p

jadie_m

HSC
Oh, how I was in a similar boat to you guys last year...
Don't be stressing about the UAI because you may just be pleasantly surprised!
But all I can say to you guys is congratulations for getting this far, it's a mighty fine effort and accomplishment!
Just keep in mind that if you don't get into B.I.T, you should enrol into the B.Sc.IT course so that you are still considered for a position in B.I.T if someone declines the offer, pulls out or more sponsors sign up.
For those of you who choose to study I.T. at UTS, I look forward to meeting you at the camp. :) Have a very merry christmas to you all!
~ Jade

Hypoviax

Michael
HSC
The UAI isn't nearly as important as the interview is.... if your went well in your interview and your UAI is ok, then you will get a place in the course. As Jade said you may be quite suprised what they accept for UAI if you did well in your interview

Michael
www.bitforums.com

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
Hypoviax said:
The UAI isn't nearly as important as the interview is.... if your went well in your interview and your UAI is ok, then you will get a place in the course. As Jade said you may be quite suprised what they accept for UAI if you did well in your interview

Michael
www.bitforums.com
that sounds really comforting...untill i look at my uai..., thats not an ok uai thats shyt..

but i think my interview went really well :\ i was in there for about 30 mins :) and it didn't feel like an interview.. more of a chat.

EDIT: i went in the secound round of interviews and vaguely remember that they said they'd get in contact with us, on the 20 or 21'st..., but i would have thought the email be accurate.

Last edited:

GBM

HSC
I got in contact with Des today, who said that people are being called both today and tomorrow. This was after I asked Jenny at ask.it, who seemed to indicate that everyone had been called this morning, nearly giving me a heart attack!

Oh well, at least SAM underestimated my UAI. 89.25 is still uncomfortable, but better than the estimate of 88.20.

ridewitme

HSC
That has got to suck. Got a UAI of 80, will see if I'm one of the final places they accept, least I can get into BScIT (again, hopefully).

GBM

HSC
That's really gotta suck, with SAM overestimating your UAIs and all. I never would have seen myself as the most likely to get a spot here.

Or then again, maybe they hated my interview, but kept me in just in case I got 99.95 or something. There's also the cruel experiment theory. Regardless, we can't assume anything until we get the call.

If we don't make BIT, I wonder whether they'll give us guys advanced standings in BScIT because of our successes in the BIT interview process? Its worth asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)