BIT Application Questions (1 Viewer)

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
HI, i'm wondering if you guys could help me decide if it would be worth submitting an application for BIT, (i don't like my chances)

The thing is i'm not doing particularly well in all my subjects, most of my ranks are in the teens. However, i was selected to do Accelerated IPT in 2004 which i completed last year with a band 6 (rank 2), i'm hoping that counts for something, also my teacher for SDD said that i have a good chance of getting a band 6 for that subject in my hsc this year ( Assesment rank 3 88% for Major Work). ( not to brag or anything, but i am pretty good in areas of IT, and i'm not sure if they will recognise this, or just simply look at my average performance in most of my other subjects).

I have had a lot of responsibilities that have kept me from doing more intense study then i would have liked, (also applying for EAS). Should i explain my situation in the application, or would there be no point.

Also would it be a good idea if i attached a reference from my IPT teacher ( now a lecturer for education at maq uni) and also a reference from work. (i work P/T at maccas).

Final thing, im not confident that i will achieve the expected uai of around 90, would i still have a chance? (looking at lower 80s)

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well considering there is a questionnaire and an interview for this course, then I would not take the UAI as a definitive measure of whether you can get in or not. Any extra-curricular/work/computing things you have done will probably influence whether you get in as well - not to mention the EAS. So you should definitely apply.

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
thanks, i printed out the BIT questionnaire earlier and it would be pretty cool, if previous applicants, or anyone would mind helping me improve mine.

Last edited:

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Spider786 said:
thanks, i printed out the BIT questionnaire earlier and it would be pretty cool, if previous applicants, or anyone would mind helping me improve mine.
There are usually a few threads on this topic each year so doing a search on these forums might prove useful:

"Keep in mind that the selection process focuses on outgoing individuals who can demonstrate genuine potential for a career in both business and IT. You should be showing off your ability to work in teams and communicate effectively, and you're given the chance to comment on extra-curricular activities such as sport, debating and SRC etc.

"The main thing to keep in mind when completing the application is that they let your UAI take care of the academic part of the selection process so use the space on the form to really sell yourself as a people-person, with interests in IT, rather than a nerd =)

"Finally, just answer it all truthfully because during the interview they refer to it for the questions that they ask you."

You can also try the UTS Faculty of IT forums for any information you would like about the course: http://ask.it.uts.edu.au/

ridewitme

http://bakakage.net
HSC
Spider786 said:
Good luck on the questionairre, I got my notification of receiving my application last week, here's hoping to cementing an interview!

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
ridewitme said:
Good luck on the questionairre, I got my notification of receiving my application last week, here's hoping to cementing an interview!
same..., now i just need a 90+ UAI :|

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
hey has anyone heard anything about interviews?? i'm getting worried because on that ask.it thing they said they'd tell us by the end of october....

good luck for everyone with getting interviews!

ridewitme

HSC
Got sent a letter today for an interview, afternoon session on 25th!!

Last edited:

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
i got mail sent saying there was a too high volume of applicants, that was last month, 2 days ago i got an email saying i got interviews on the 11 of december..

:s, O well, even tho i feel like a reject getting called in that close, anyone else going in dec?

TheBressman

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
Hmmm I'm trying out for BIT next year. Not many ppl get in do they ?
I'm also in ur situation Spider. I did IPT in 2005 for year 10 and got a 91.
I'm doing a CCNA course and I'm hoping that might help my chances of getting in

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
The amount of places each year depends on the year's sponsorship. There are usually around 25 places and sometimes there are additional special places (for an indigenous student, as an example)

If you have an interest in the BIT course, you may also want to check out the BScIT course as if any BIT students drop out or defer, they will draw students from the BScIT course. For example, this year two BScIT students were invited to join the BIT course.

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
can anyone give any tips, or just an idea of what happens at the interviews..

should i be wearing a suit and tie and bringing a portfolio? or what and what happens during the interview itself, like what kind of questions do they ask you?

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
The day starts off with a talk from the program leader and everyone is divided into interview groups. Groups are then taken to a holding room with refreshments until the interviewers (one from the university, one from industry) are ready. You will also have the opportunity to talk to current BIT students about the course.

Some people choose to wear a suit and tie, others a collared shirt and some just jeans and a tee-shirt. What you wear will not alone decide whether you progress or not. It's probably best to just wear what you feel most comfortable in, given the situation.

A portfolio isn't necessary, they're much more interested in your potential, which they will analyse by simply talking to you and asking you questions about what you have written in your application.

It really comes down to being yourself while given youself the best opportunity to shine.

ridewitme

HSC
Scored a place pending the UAI results coming out next week! Who else got a letter?

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
just got back from todays interviews... there were only like 10 or so people.... i expected more, and it was very laid back and relaxed.

How many people were there at your interviews?. I was really nervous going into the interviews.. but after i came out i think i did really well...so heres hoping...:D

ridewitme

HSC
Between 15-20 (rough estimate). My dress code was very relaxed, I was the only one in the room that didn't wear a suit (wore long jeans and a short sleeved RipCurl shirt, that I went to the pub in the week before :p ). Everyone else was pretty tense on the day I went to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)