• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

big ppl, small clothes (1 Viewer)

Always

HSC
In many cases, anorexics aren't fat to start off with. They may be unhappy with their image not because they are physically unattractive, but because of deeper, psychological problems. For example, anorexics may use food as a form of self-control when all other factors in their lives is uncontrollable.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I tend to think that obesity can't just be a 'food' problem either. There has got to be something emotional behind it, or at the very least an addiction to food.

But anyway I agree exercise has to be promoted a lot more. Everyone is consistently told that they need to eat healthily but you don't see that much telling people how important it is to exercise.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
That's stupid, all fashion is 'made' for skinny people because it looks 'better' on skinny people. So what if not everyone excercises, if you have a problem with how they look go cry for a while then grow up.
haha i love you. What common sense!

two of my closest friends battled with annorexia, at different times of their life, and one of those friends was a guy. I think it would be a refreshing change not to be pressuring people to be thin. Annorexia is dreadful, and can not only destroy the person, but it is totally devastating to those around them.

But back to the original topic, If you see somebody who you think doesn't look fabulous in their clothes, just turn the other way and keep walking. Don't bitch about it.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Always said:
Weight is not the issue here. Some people can't help being very thin because they have high metabolisms. Or they may have issues with their weight. Those people should not be laughed at.
no, this lady is anorexic, and she is constantly exercising

she seems to be walking before and after work...well, thats if she works

i know some people who are just naturally skinny, but this lady is past skinny. This cant be just due to her metabolism

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
AlleyCat said:
im sorry, but hipsters by definition in my opinion are made for skinny people. as are the summery dresses this season.
Exactly, your opinion - you honestly think a teenager who is not skinny is going to wear high waisted jeans? Your an idiot. Their going to wear whats fashionable and what the hell they want.

AlleyCat said:
slimming down is actually healthy, people are a little too preoccupied with the idea of embracing ones "curves" to notice whether or not they are a healthy weight.
Do you have a medical degree? People with curves can still be healthy, do you want everyone to look like a supermodel who looks like they need to put on 10kg to be considered underweight? Honestly, its people like you who make people think that they arent good enough because of how they look. People need to be confortable with who they are, not what some idiot who cant handle their fashion choices thinks. Get a life and As has been said numerous times by numerous people - THEIR body, THEIR decisions

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
angelduck said:
Do you have a medical degree? People with curves can still be healthy, do you want everyone to look like a supermodel who looks like they need to put on 10kg to be considered underweight? Honestly, its people like you who make people think that they arent good enough because of how they look. People need to be confortable with who they are, not what some idiot who cant handle their fashion choices thinks. Get a life and As has been said numerous times by numerous people - THEIR body, THEIR decisions

that is so effing hypersensitive especially considering she never SAID you had to be a 40kg supermodel. don't kid yourself - so many girls are like 'oh well i'm curvy and sexy and fabulous' when in reality they need to lose 5 or 10kgs. NOT because of fashion or any of that shit but because they are OVERWEIGHT and UNHEALTHY because of the lifestyles they lead or genetic factors or both.
i can say 'i love the fact that i have boobs and a small waist' but it doesn't change the fact that i'm overweight and still need to lose abt 10 kilos. don't be such a fucking pussy and cry 'wahhhh unreasonable standards of beauty' every time someone says the TRUTH. no one's asking you to look like gisele.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
As N-T-B said, ALL fashion is designed with skinny people in mind, but that doesn't exclude a larger person from pulling a style off just as well.

And I must disagree about the summer dresses. A lot of the dresses I've seen this season are quite flattering to a curvaceous figure. In fact I recently bought a gorgeous dress that fits me wonderfully, shows off my figure (I LIKE my curves, thanks very much. although granted I probably should still lose a few kgs :eek:) and I'm not thin by anyone's definition.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
im somewhat 'against' overweight, not because of how it looks but mainly about the health problems it causes. all that extra tissue/fat causes more capillaries to grow and your heart needs to work much harder to get the blood to flow around your body. it puts pressure on your knees and hips, meaning that us as taxpayers have to pay for these peoples new joints when they get old and dont work anymore because of the extra weight theyve had to deal with but arent designed for. obesity is called a 'lifestyle disease'. thats exactly what it is, a lifestyle, because people are daunted and confused by the word diet, mistaking it for a short term starvation regime, when what people really need to do to lose weight is give their complete life an overhaul, completely changing their eating and exercising habits. it lasts for your whole life, because while, when you put on weight, new fat cells are formed, when you lose weight they dont disappear, they just shrink, meaning that forever you must keep your habits under control. Its sad but true.
But at our age we're at the perfect time to start shaping our lives healthily, its easy to stay healthy because of our natural metabolisms.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Emily, have you ever considered that perhaps the reason people are so overweight in western societies is due to our consumption based economy and heavy levels of advertising?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
thats their fault. im just saying they need to realise that fat is bad, because its UNHEALTHY.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
when you put on weight, new fat cells are formed, when you lose weight they dont disappear
Unless you're morbidly obese (anyone see that dude on Amazing Medical Stories or whatever its called a while ago?) the number of fat cells doesn't change, rather just the size of the cells.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
even so, the volume of flesh that the heart has to pump blood through is increased.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
glycerine said:
that is so effing hypersensitive especially considering she never SAID you had to be a 40kg supermodel. don't kid yourself - so many girls are like 'oh well i'm curvy and sexy and fabulous' when in reality they need to lose 5 or 10kgs. NOT because of fashion or any of that shit but because they are OVERWEIGHT and UNHEALTHY because of the lifestyles they lead or genetic factors or both.
i can say 'i love the fact that i have boobs and a small waist' but it doesn't change the fact that i'm overweight and still need to lose abt 10 kilos. don't be such a fucking pussy and cry 'wahhhh unreasonable standards of beauty' every time someone says the TRUTH. no one's asking you to look like gisele.
hahaha...

from that, everyone should aim to be healthy.

healthy and fit (and then skinny) dont always go together...im sure you all know, but some of you dont seem to believe it

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh my god and like i know everyone hates judgemental pricks but i know one and she's a really cool chick i swear!! lolz!!!
:rolleyes:

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
i work in retail, the shop is next to "Big Girls City"
swear to gosh, arrogant ppls refuse to walk another 5 step to get clothing that will fit them and pay a lil higher for extra fabrics :chainsaw:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Emily. said:
thats their fault. im just saying they need to realise that fat is bad, because its UNHEALTHY.
I cannot agree with your terribly simplistic position.

Being overweight isn't necessarily indicative of a lifestyle problem, nor is it always the individual's 'fault'.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
SuGa BunI =D said:
i work in retail, the shop is next to "Big Girls City"
swear to gosh, arrogant ppls refuse to walk another 5 step to get clothing that will fit them and pay a lil higher for extra fabrics :chainsaw:
Well to be fair, some people might find it embarrassing walking into a plus size shop, especially one with the unsubtle name "Big Girls City." And a lot of the plus size clothing out there is very daggy and old womanish. You can't blame a girl for wanting to wear the latest fashions.

malkin86

HSC
What is there out there for 16+ sizes that is fashionable and not too hot to wear in summer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)