Best way to prepare for HSC Mathematics 2012 (1 Viewer)

jadenmaccas

HSC
Being an accelerant doing his Mathematics (2 unit) exam in Year 11 2012 gives me many queries about the upcoming term.

1. From now on, does every mathematics assessment we do get moderated and scaled for the HSC cohort in NSW?

2. What others textbooks should be 'attacked' because I don't like relying on my weak 'Maths in Focus' by Margeret Grove HSC book.

3. During the next term, what studying techniques are vital in order to achieve a minimum of 95% or more in my examinations?

Alkanes

HSC
Hmm i think i've heard of you boasting being an accelerant many times now. But anyways i'll happily answer your questions.

1. Yes every thing you do will count. No more stuffing up now. But it's ok for you since you can do it again if you wish next year.
2. For 2U i recommend Fitzpatrick and the Phoenix book
3. Do past papers.

Best of Luck

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Past papers. Send Spiral a friendly message after he has finished sorting and helping fellow humans.

jadenmaccas

HSC
Hmm i think i've heard of you boasting being an accelerant many times now. But anyways i'll happily answer your questions.

1. Yes every thing you do will count. No more stuffing up now. But it's ok for you since you can do it again if you wish next year.
2. For 2U i recommend Fitzpatrick and the Phoenix book
3. Do past papers.

Best of Luck
Not boasting just stating the fact that I am an accelerant... Please don't take it the wrong way... I'm still inexperienced with regards to this website

Alkanes

HSC
Nah all good. You've got talent indeed. Goodluck

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Being an accelerant doing his Mathematics (2 unit) exam in Year 11 2012 gives me many queries about the upcoming term.

1. From now on, does every mathematics assessment we do get moderated and scaled for the HSC cohort in NSW?
Your School will tell you what assessments are assessable and what % of your mark they make up.

2. What others textbooks should be 'attacked' because I don't like relying on my weak 'Maths in Focus' by Margeret Grove HSC book.
Get yourself Cambridge 3U Y11 and Y12. Best textbooks you can get. Once you can, start doing past papers under exam conditions.

3. During the next term, what studying techniques are vital in order to achieve a minimum of 95% or more in my examinations?
Question after question after question; paper after paper after paper. Don't keep doing questions you find easy - always look to stretch yourself with harder questions. Save the 2003 paper until last though, that was the most difficult in recent memory [Q10 alone could take almost an hour to complete; even for a good 2U student]. You should only need to pick up your calculator a couple of times in the 3 hour paper. Try to get Q1 to Q6/7 in the first hour, Q7 to 9/10 in the next hour, with the last hour being Q10 and checking your answers. If you can hit these times with good working out, then you will be on the way to getting the mark you are looking for.

Read old exam reports too - and see what the markers are looking for in each of the questions. Getting in the markers head is important if you are going to try and get 100% on the paper.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are you talking about that ridiculous probability question?

Gosh, that took me *so* long to figure out :(
It was the max/min pulley and rope question. While the question did guide you through (as it should in a 2U paper), the algebra involved was more like what you would expect to see on a 4U paper rather than a 2U paper. Algebraically demonstrating that the result was a minimum would have been extraordinarily challenging for those students sitting the exam.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)