• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Belonging Related text (1 Viewer)

Frostnovae

HSC
I am doing the immigrant chronicles as my prescribed text.... as you all know its a collection of poetry....

I was advised that i should choose a text of a diffrent format to my prescribed text as a related text... ie... something NOT poetry...

I wanted to use poetry as a related text as i find i can write a more in depth and detailed analysis of poetry than other text types...

What are your thoughts on this? Will choosing similar text types for related texts adversely affect my marks?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you feel you can best reprsent your ideas with another poem, then do it. Diversity isn't always better, if you can't analyse it well.

Personally, I'd go for soemthing else, but its totally up to you.

Sadiah

HSC
Absolute zero is right.

Generally, all the band 6 responses I had a look at consisted of diverse texts.

Another interesting related text to beloning is 'The Arrival' by Shuan Tan; it's a picture book, and moreover, it also relates to the immigrant chronicle by peter skrzynecki.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Another interesting related text to beloning is 'The Arrival' by Shuan Tan; it's a picture book, and moreover, it also relates to the immigrant chronicle by peter skrzynecki.
You're absolutely correct. Only thing is, every kid and their dog uses The Arrival as a related text, so if you're looking to stand out from the crowd, your analysis will need to be spot on.

jellybelly59

HSC
Don't use Shaun Tan's arrival if you can't distinguish your response from the hundreds and thousands of other students that will be using it. Diversity of text allows gives you leverage for better marks - it shows sophistication and willingness to explore your area of study rather than grabbing anything at your disposal. In saying that unless you write brilliantly i don't think Shaun Tan's arrival will show that willingness given it's relative popularity in AOS responses.

My advice is to go in with some poems as related texts AND two other text types (e.g. newspaper article, visual stimulus etc.) that relate to belonging - that way when you are in the exam you can actually pick whatever you will feel comfortable with and pick the one that fits the question.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)