Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
what sort of concepts of belonging are in that movie stand by me?
A sense of belonging to place and community is one idea. More prevalent though would be through shared trauma comes shared strength that is derived from a sense of belonging. They're the points I focussed on anyway...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Some scripts for belonging related texts:
Chapel Perilous
Educating Rita
Top Girls

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Wicked (The Musical) would be prime for belonging {And Mod C: Conflicting Perspectives :p :p :p}

Somnolence

HSC
I need some serious advice regarding my written related text.

I started analyzing "Carrie" by Stephen King, however am wondering now if it was the best choice. Do you think "Carrie" is really suitable for the AOS?

Should I continue with "Carrie", or switch to something else with a greater suitability? I was thinking of perhaps "The Time Machine" by H.G Wells (I am open to any other suggestions) as an alternate option, but need outside opinion before deciding. Our prescribed text is Peter Skrzynecki's 'Immigrant Chronicles' and so I'm thinking that perhaps "The Time Machine" might work better with themes of displacement and such.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Carrie would work fine, if you remain committed to it. However, the Time Machine would be good to have as a backup text, depending on what question you get.

Somnolence

HSC
Thanks for the advice - I was starting to stress that Carrie was a horrible choice that wasn't going to work well. My teacher is asking for us to compile and submit our analysis so she can get an idea of how we will be using our related texts and I was having some trouble with drawing out textual evidence for some of the ideas surrounding Belonging in 'Carrie'.

Perhaps it is just best to complete this analysis for Carrie, and then move on to doing another analysis of 'The Time Machine' so I can go over them in class with my teacher and decide which one serves as the best focus.

Applesoup

HSC
Would 'Dracula' work as a text to relate to The Crucible in terms of belonging, i[FONT=&quot] haven't read it so im asking u gu[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s
[/FONT]

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
Would 'Dracula' work as a text to relate to The Crucible in terms of belonging, i[FONT=&quot] haven't read it so im asking u gu[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]s [/FONT]
Dracula was past HSC though, so it may not be the best choice.

Miss Defied

HSC
N/A
The film, Bicentennial Man, starring Robin Williams is a good film to investigate the concept of belonging. He is a robot! in the future who is assigned to a family as their butler (a mechanical Mrs Doubtfire), he craves human love and affection. He wants to be useful and productive. In this, he becomes successful (great American way), and from here, he seeks to be transformed through love - could say, hopes to come to life, through love and become human. It's an unusual movie, but definitely demonstrates belonging and the desire to belong.

Also, Little Miss Sunshine is a great movie for a sense of belonging. What about The Castle?

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)