Belonging/Navigating The Global related texts? (1 Viewer)

ClassOf2013

HSC
What would be a couple of related texts that fit in with BOTH Belonging (Advanced) and Navigating The Global (Extension 1). My teachers have suggested Bowling For Columbine and The Castle, would you suggest these and if so, how do they fit in with the areas of study? I've never seen Bowling For Columbine and I've only seen The Castle once so i'm not really that familiar with either of them.

sinawi

HSC
The Castle is an Australian Icon of a film and for that reason I suggest you stray away from it come HSC. Certainly its message can be quite profound if you have the ability to analyse it, but it has been popularised and is, as a result, a recognisable film-text. For that reason, markers in general will mark you a little viciously, just as they would if you used, say, transformers, or batman, or iRobot or whatever. Perhaps try for some prufrock, the island, or a profound short story or film. Check out some tropfest indie film makers - they make beautiful films relevant to belonging.

Bowling for Columbine is another film-text by Moore, but it's more so documentary style and explores a deeper message. I've never studied Navigating the Globe but perhaps it is very relevant to associated themes. Try it out.

EDIT: BFC by Moore (from a quick synopsis) explores munitions & the growing trend of violence in teenagers and kids and its effects in speeding up social decay amongst other things - but because it's a documentary where he travels to different places to explore differing opinions, maybe it might be applicable? Sorry but that's all I got :D

Last edited:

tigerian

HSC
N/A
The board has suggested that related texts should not be any part of hte English curriculum and as The Castle is a standard English module it is not a good idea to use it

sinawi

HSC
The board has suggested that related texts should not be any part of hte English curriculum and as The Castle is a standard English module it is not a good idea to use it
Good call.

ClassOf2013

HSC
So, it looks like I shouldn't study The Castle. Anyone got any good texts that I could study?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)