Beachball.... (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Toodulu said:
the age limit was because it's being held at a bar and only grown ups can go. i am sure the union provides entertainment for people like you too.
I hate to tell you, but there's no specifically under-18s things to do on campus. Hence I can do everything Damage Inc. wants to do PLUS MORE for the same amount of money paid.

Therefore Damage Inc. is justified in claiming he's being rorted money by USU.

I was looking in the diary and it looks like total fees paid is $459.10 for USU, the SRC and SU sport. Why the hell should I pay $134.55 for SU sport? I don't use any of that crap. Go VSU!

A

adamsaclown

Toodulu said:
the age limit was because it's being held at a bar and only grown ups can go.
Doesn't UNSW's Roundhouse have a bar, and yet most of their events are all-ages (at least during O-week, unlike USyd)? I think they use a wristband system or something.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
You fucking idiots, you have no idea how fucked VSU is going to be.

Man I feel sorry for you.

And Honi Soit is fucking king Damage inc, obviously you are some conservative fuck who doesn't like more liberal people (in the true sense of the word) undermining him in a humorous, entertaining and intelligent manner.

Our Union contributions do more than just subsidise shit like Honi, Clubs + societies and parties anyway. there are so many support services that it funds as well as funding the SRC who basically protect our rights as a whole, and stop the university turning into the same totalitarian regime as in schools.

Plus, I'm sure when you turn 18/reach puberty you will appreciate a whole night of mad entertainment for only $5.

Fuck, I can't wait to meet some of you people on this site.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Egronk said:

And Honi Soit is fucking king Damage inc, obviously you are some conservative fuck who doesn't like more liberal people (in the true sense of the word) undermining him in a humorous, entertaining and intelligent manner.

Our Union contributions do more than just subsidise shit like Honi, Clubs + societies and parties anyway. there are so many support services that it funds as well as funding the SRC who basically protect our rights as a whole, and stop the university turning into the same totalitarian regime as in schools.

Plus, I'm sure when you turn 18/reach puberty you will appreciate a whole night of mad entertainment for only $5.

i'd bone you :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Egronk said:
You fucking idiot, you have no idea how fucked CSU is for a lot of students. I, for one, can't afford textbooks I need for my course because I have to pay $500 of fucking Union fees.

liberal people (in the true sense of the word)
True sense of the word? You might like to go back to its origins, and find that in its true sense (as opposed to the bastardised American sense, which you seem to advocate) it means someone who's in favour of small government, freedom of the individual and market forces, and hence someone whose views are pretty much diametrically opposed to those of honi's editors.
If I have a problem with the way a lecturer runs a course, or if there are too many people in my tute, I'll tell someone about it, and you'd be surprised how often things get fixed this way. If a group of people don't want to discuss problems with their lecturer, they deserve a shit education. Oh and as for the SRC supporting my rights, they seemed very quick to protest against the trial of those responsible for assaulting myself, the people around me, and police. Or is there something in the SRC constitution which states that right wingers and police don't have rights?
You pay more than that for it, through your Union contribution.
Why is that?

Gotta love a priori arguments :)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
so he can bash us :(

i would gladly pay for USU because i appreciate their services, i MIGHT be willing to pay for SRC, but fuck paying for the sports one. And why should other people who have opposite views to me on USU and SRC pay for their services? Remember there were only like 5-10 people at that protest SUPPORTING VSU, the rest, the majority, were anti-VSU...so ideally when VSU comes into effect they should be voluntarily paying their student contributions and the USU won't lose much funding at all, if they don't pay then they are hypocrites.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Egronk said:

Maybe if Beachball was any good I'd have been happy to purchase a ticket for $5, but hey, it wasn't. It's dancing/smoking and boring. Pubcrawls are more fun, substantially. Dancing is all good and whatever, but I prefer talking to people while getting totalled.

If I even contemplated using university services I might be more inclined to care about VSU, but I don't. Union food is crap, and that's pretty much all most people utilize at university. Sure, there's amenities and whatnot, but a short walk to broadway has all of that + better food.

Generally speaking societies only really need access to rooms in the uni, they don't NEED uni funding. So they don't matter with respect to VSU...

Alot of people don't like VSU because they need something to hate. I like to refer to these people as arts students.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
so he can bash us :(
If he wants to bash me because he disagrees with me then I'd say his arguing skills are severely lacking.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Maybe if Beachball was any good I'd have been happy to purchase a ticket for $5, but hey, it wasn't. It's dancing/smoking and boring. Pubcrawls are more fun, substantially. Dancing is all good and whatever, but I prefer talking to people while getting totalled.

If I even contemplated using university services I might be more inclined to care about VSU, but I don't. Union food is crap, and that's pretty much all most people utilize at university. Sure, there's amenities and whatnot, but a short walk to broadway has all of that + better food.

Generally speaking societies only really need access to rooms in the uni, they don't NEED uni funding. So they don't matter with respect to VSU...

Alot of people don't like VSU because they need something to hate. I like to refer to these people as arts students.
yeah clubs and socs dont need uni funding, after all, events such as cocktail parties only cost over 10k to organise on most counts.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
p.s. im really having trouble deciding how i'm running for union. a lot of my policies are considered 'right wing' and 'Liberal' :( Even though theyre sensible

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
yeah clubs and socs dont need uni funding, after all, events such as cocktail parties only cost over 10k to organise on most counts.
Clubs and socs make up about 3% of the Union budget. They could fund them many times over even if noone paid their fees.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
stazi said:
Hey, if you can't get the funding from that out of sponsorship and your members, then how did you get it out of USU beforehand?

Oh yeah, that's right, it's because NOT ALL STUDENTS UTLISE USU SO YOU'RE TAKING THEIR MONEY FOR YOUR COCKTAIL PARTY.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
p.s. im really having trouble deciding how i'm running for union. a lot of my policies are considered 'right wing' and 'Liberal' :( Even though theyre sensible
Right wing and sensible are analogous terms. The policies of the Liberals and Unity are actually fairly similar in terms of Union things (eg we both support privatisation of catering, while NOLS absolutely opposes it). When do you plan on running?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
withoutaface said:
Right wing and sensible are analogous terms. The policies of the Liberals and Unity are actually fairly similar in terms of Union things (eg we both support privatisation of catering, while NOLS absolutely opposes it). When do you plan on running?
Mmm, subway in manning. Mmm, subway. I'll go get some now.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Mmm, subway in manning. Mmm, subway. I'll go get some now.
that is one of my goals, actually :p

I plan on running next year.

My policies involve running the union (and usyd) like a business. Vanderblidt (sp?) in the US does this successfully - 70% of funding comes in from running a health care clinic (I assume by medical students) for the public.
VSU is here and no matter how much we bitch about it, this won't change. We need to offer the same levels of service the union has in the past (and more!).
Part-privatisation is also another part of my campaign. Franchises want nothing more than to open at usyd so we tell them that they can only operate if they offer student discounts. These discounts can be purchased via your 'access card' - i.e. you buy a food package, for let's say $60/year. Also, privatisation cuts catering fees, too.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oh and furthermore, perhaps I should run as a business student. The only problem is if there's an actual Liberal candidate running from there - his political standing is bound to sway people to vote for him (and yes, that gendered text was intended).
This also loses me votes from everyone else on campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)