BCom LLB part time? (1 Viewer)

mrbsting

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working full time, and was wondering whether it's possible to undertake the course part-time (2 subjects per semester). In the handbook it states that I'm required to get the Dean's permission if I want to undertake the course in a mode other than full time (<18cp per year). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

Justin.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
mrbsting said:
In the handbook it states that I'm required to get the Dean's permission if I want to undertake the course in a mode other than full time (<18cp per year).
Where in the handbook?

mrbsting

HSC
10 years! heart attack material! I think I'm going to try and aim for three subjects per semester.

maka

HSC
Here is my advice:

Try 4 subjects in your 1st semester. That is only an extra 3 hours on campus if that (depends on tutorial/lecture duration).

I have been doing 4 subjects per semester and working 3 days a week. All I make sure of is that I can attend all my compulsory classes on 1 or 2 days a week.

First year workload may seem daunting at first but pretty much you will form good habits such as selective reading etc which will help out a lot.

If the workload is to hard, you have a month (not sure of the exact date) I think until the census date, when you can drop subjects without any form of penalty.

May as well try 4.... you have nothing to lose....... you have a months grace before you get charged HECS

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
As a Law student (i.e. fitting into the 'some other insanity' category of my original response), you're "special" in the eyes of the Uni, and so you've got your own hoops and hurdles to get through. The entire response (below) could be invalid.

So... either wait in the queues for Student Enquiries, or just go straight to the Dean, I suppose.

Skittled said:
I've never heard of anything like this, and the line in my previous jobs (Within the Uni, ADMINISTERING courses) was that if you wanted to study part time, you just enrol in less than 9 (it's actually 9-point-something) cp in a single semester.

(Things may be different if you've got a scholarship OR if you're a postgrad student, or you've got some other form of insanity & complexity... But if you're a normal student, personally, I wouldn't bother, becuase I've never seen it with my own eyes.

Also, as a new student, I know if you applied for a Part Time degree, you'd have been offered a Full Time, and be told not to worry about it because if you want to change from Full time to Part Time, you just enrol accordingly. Welcome to Flexible Macquarie.)

...But despite all that...

If you want to harass the dean of your division with it, feel free to drop them a line. :D
...but I'd get official confirmation from Student Enquiries first, unless you're thick-skinned.

Last edited:

mrbsting

HSC
Skittled said:
Where in the handbook?
Page 205.

Full-time or part-time?

All students accepted for a Combined Law program must enrol as full-time students for a minimum of 18 credit points each year unless they can satisfy the Dean of the Division that there are special reasons of proven financial or other hardship which justify part-time enrolment.

HSC
N/A
FYI - I know someone doing law part-time. Skittled's advice is good - see SES first, then Dean of Law (I hear the Law department is a little scary, so make sure you've got as much information about everything you can get your hands on before going over)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
mrbsting said:
Page 205.
There ya go - some form of law insanity :). Awesome.

..But how strange. I know (personally) multiple law students who've changed from FT to PT without DoD approval (beause there's nothing administratively stopping them from doing it)... maybe it's a new rule.

X

xeuyrawp

Skittled said:
There ya go - some form of law insanity :). Awesome.

..But how strange. I know (personally) multiple law students who've changed from FT to PT without DoD approval (beause there's nothing administratively stopping them from doing it)... maybe it's a new rule.
The issue, I'd hazard, is progression through the study plan. I don't know the LLB degree and LAW units well enough to substantiate the claim, but basically it may happen that you don't actually fill enough law prereqs later in your degree, so you may be, for example, stuck for too long when you could have taken a shortcut through something.

Hypothetical example; maybe in 4th year, you should do LAW401 (1st sem), LAW491 (1st sem), and LAW402 (2nd), and LAW492 (2nd). If you did it part time and only did LAW401, maybe you then couldn't do either LAW402 or LAW492, because perhaps the prereq for both of them is to have done both LAW401 and LAW491. Therefore you couldn't do any law units in 2nd semester of 4th year. Alternatively, maybe you screw it up; say the prereq was ONLY LAW491, and you only did 401. That's why you'd need an academic advisor to 100% okay it.

There may also be a preferable choice (ie more important) in what LAW units you're doing if you're going slowly; perhaps they could give waivers to do certain subjects as needed, etc.

So what they're essentially saying is that you need academic advice about which subjects you need to plan for.

That would be my guess. It's probably just a formality which isn't enforced - but if I was doing a BCom LLB part time, I would certainly (as said above) talk with SES and with both the EFS and the law advisors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)