Bass players unite! (ripoff of trumpeters unite :D) (1 Viewer)

FusionistAS-200

Bassists should be respected as much as any other musician, as long as their good. A good bass player can make all the difference to a pov band. My favourite is John Patitucci. More of a 'musician' than most of those show off wootens and marcuses. His musical intuition is what makes him so great imo.

funkoncrack

HSC
FusionistAS-200 said:
Bassists should be respected as much as any other musician, as long as their good. A good bass player can make all the difference to a pov band. My favourite is John Patitucci. More of a 'musician' than most of those show off wootens and marcuses. His musical intuition is what makes him so great imo.
For one of my Music 1 performances i'm playing Prelude in G Major by Patitucci on a 6'er. He's so classy. (Hair is a tad greasy..)

Ethereality

HSC
Bump.

I play a P-Bass, and very soon a custom Warmoth 6 string, and I'm going to defret my P.

My favourite bassists are Adam Nitti, Jaco, Wooten, Miller, Patitucci, Justin Chancellor, Flea... Lots of guys, that's all my tired brain can think of right now.

When people make that stupid stupid comment... I just do a laugh/snort kinda thing and then play something really simple, just to confuse them.

Kyle O'Brien

HSC
I am also a fellow bassist. I have a P-bass, and am planning to upgrade to a six string once I get the money. I think alot of people who don't play or understand music, think that bassists are unimportant, or failed guitarist, but I'm lucky in the fact that alot of my friends are musicians so they respect my choice of instrument. Also one of my friends is a fellow bassist which makes things alot easier as well. We are actually planning a bass duet to showcase the talent of bassists (or so we hope thats what will happen)

etienne

HSC
1. What (brand/type) do you play?
I just defretted my yamaha P copy with a kitchen knife and filled it with woodfiller (i'm serious... i need marine epoxy now). I 'borrow' the school's epiphone fourstring J bass, their 5 string, their acoustic, and the bass from my church. I've got the church one at my house now, I just broke my G string fingering a minor.

2. How do you react when people say bassists don't do anything?
One of three things.
1: The person who says that suddenly finds themselves with no air in their lungs and with a scrawny but somehow amazingly attractive (modesty) bass player beating the crap out of them.
2: Pick up a bass and either hit them with the head (if you haven't seen the opening to desperado, you're missing something), or play some Flea. Walkabout. Good chili peppers stuff. Maybe a bit of Jaco if i'm feeling particularly special.
3: Argue with them for six hours, and insult whatever instrument they play. Trumboners suck. Frugal horn rocks. Drums rock. Electric guitars suck unless you're the one playing it... nobody else likes the sound.

3. Whose your favourite bassist?
If jaco pastorius and flea somehow had a child, and that child was me, and had all the skill of both of them, i'd be my favourite bassist.

4. Are you in a band?
A few, but none that are terribly serious. I play for school worship periods (sevvy school - ask my parents), and church. I jam with mates a lot, and have formed a few million quasi bands that never got off the ground because our lead guitarist is a penis who doesn't show up.

5. If you played an instrument before picking up bass, what was it?
Violin. I should never have put it down. Strings rock.

Other than this, we need all our bassists to unite - i quote three answers from a sweet instrument survey:
------> You are a Bass. My kind of person. You hold things in place because that is your job you are the most important member of the band. People do not give you enough credit they should but they don't.

------> You are the Drums. You set the tempo for how things are. You have to stay consistant though because you do not want to through everyone off and then the bass player will have get you in the right place again.

------> Guitar You are a Guitar. You have a bit of ego and you like to show off. Look at me I'm doing a solo for way too long. Shut the fuck up thats only acceptable in instrumental music.

I think enough is said. We dont get enough credit, we should but we dont.

HSC
hey, i am a 16 yr old girl and i play bass. my answers to the questions:

1. What (brand/type) do you play? well its not mine that i play, coz i usually play my guitar (les paul!!~luv it), but i play my awsum music teachers aria pro II cardinal series bass. it is heaps old but i luv it sooo much, it is such an awsum bass.

tell them what i think of their instrument and what they should do with it....lol

ME...duh....joking...nah i don't really have any favs.

4. Are you in a band?
yes. a couple of different ones. bass and guitar.

piano, for 10 years now.

bassguy

HSC

4. Are you in a band?

1. I play a Fender Marcus Miller Japanese Jazz Bass, which is awesome
2. Make a snide comment about groove
3. Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller are my favourites...Les Claypool has some fun lines, too
4. Yep... www.myspace.com/stainedzurich . Check it
5. I play sax as well, and did a bit of keyboard in primary school

My favourite style is funk bass...slap is so damn fun

tfie

HSC
lol.. first post EVER...

4. Are you in a band?

5. If you played an instrument before picking up bass, what was it

1. OLP... but once i get the $$$, maybe a musicman sterling :)

2. sit in the corner and cry JOKES... but srsli... havent reali heard anyone say anything mean abt bassists, yet...

3. marcus miller... that guy is crazy!!

4. yeh... sorta...

5. piano and flute... and the piano still is my favourite, altho bass is slowly catching up =]

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
noel_gallagher said:
Good idea!! we are a dying breed. There's only four prominent bassists in my year. Out of 500. Even the drummers are beating us :S :S

Questions for the bassists just so we can show off, seeing as we, like drummers, always get forgotten:

4. Are you in a band?

1- I have a four string Cort Artisan A4- And i fucking love it....

2- I put on the Red Hot Chili Peppers and watch there reaction as i tell them that may of them awsome riffs are played on bass :)

3- Hands down its flea- that guy is awsome. For simplicity as well i love Mark Hopus's bass tones although technically he doesnt come near flea or even say paul mccartney.

4- No

5- No

timmy111

HSC
- fender jazz 75 reissue, love it

- stop walking and let them hear the emptyness? and maybe watch the keyboard try take over with their left hand bahaha

- marcus miller hands down,

4. Are you in a band?
- too many, mostly jazz stuff

- trombone, piano still play them :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)