• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bands You Recommend To Others (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
YEAH! That's what I've been saying! But NONE of my friends know them at all...it pisses me off that my friends are so shit when it comes to music...I think The Streets are even occasionally played on Triple M, yet my mates have absolutely NO IDEA when it comes to music. I mean, anybody that can take some sort of entertainment from Shannon Noll is so obviously shit.

I'm not saying that I've got an idea of music, I'm pathetic at instruments and analysing music and shit, I don't even take the subject, I just know what I enjoy...and I know what I enjoy is varied and half-decent with some form of art to it rather than friggin Holly Valance or Guy Sebastien.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
taxman said:
HURRAH! Deloris are king! They are really good stuff...have u heard the Unbroke Part Of It? That song kicks all the anuses Australia wide.

I'm a Little Birdy fan too, I missed their gig at the Dissociative concert cos I was too tight-arse, but their music is tops...'Baby Blue', 'Too Late' are both good songs.

Been listening to a bit of Jane's Addiction as of late aswell...if you haven't heard 'Just Because' yet, you are brain-dead. The riff on that has got to be one of the best of all time.
re: deloris

yeah, i still have to buy their newest album yet though. check out their older albums, fraulein and the pointless gift. so good

one time i met marcus teague, the singer, but i was really drunk and made a fool of myself

artfag

Banned
HSC
here are more bands because i'm fucking bored and these guys deserve being checked out. if you want anything, PM me your slsk username (www.slsknet.org). i'll be glad to share

information shamelessly ripped from amg and random websites.

DITC - american hip hop
"One of the most beloved hip-hop crews in rap music, D.I.T.C. (an acronym for "Diggin' in the Crates") consists of veteran rappers, DJs, and producers dedicated to the true essence of rap music: original lyrics and strong beat-savvy productions. With their dedication to hip-hop purity, members Showbiz & A.G. (Andre the Giant), Diamond D, Lord Finesse, Fat Joe, O.C., Buckwild, and the late Big L have at least one classic album under their belts. Although they never reached the success of their multi-platinum peers, individually they became successful by maintaining their integrity and earning major respect within the rap community."

albums to check out: self-titled

Alamaailman Vasarat - finnish metal/polka/klezmer/jazz fusion
"Alamaailman Vasarat ("The Hammers of the Underworld") are an unusual phenomenon not only in their home country Finland, but in the globe in general - a bunch of musicians with a background in different kinds of rock or jazz music make a statement: To rock you need no electric guitars! All you need is a pump organ, some brass, solid rhythm section with drums and cello and no prejudicies allowed, except that major keys are mostly banned. With this sort of recipe you will surely come up with something extraordinary."

albums to check out: kaarmelautakunta

Ghost - japanese psychedelic-folk
"A collective of psychedelic-minded Japanese musicians headed by guitarist Masaki Batoh, Ghost records commune-minded free-range psychedelia with equal debts to the Can/Amon Düül axis of Krautrock, as well as West Coast psych units like Blue Cheer and Jefferson Airplane. Batoh grew up in Kyoto, where he attended a private school well-geared to spark his interest in rock music, from Dylan and Pink Floyd to the Velvet Underground. "

albums to check out: snuffbox immanence. hypnotic underworld.

Merzbow - japanese extreme noise
"There is no need to argue: Merzbow stands as the most important artist in noise music. The favorite moniker of Japanese Masami Akita appears on 100s of albums. The name comes from German artist Kurt Schwitters' famous work "Merzbau," which he also called "The Cathedral of Erotic Misery." Akita's choice reflects his fondness for junk art (through Schwitters' collage method) and his fascination with ritualized eroticism, namely in the form of fetishism and bondage."

albums to check out: 1930, animal magnetism, pulse demon, MERZBOX (50cd set)

Einsturzende Neubauten - german industrial/noise
"Along with Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle, Germany's Einstürzende Neubauten ("collapsing new buildings") helped pioneer industrial music with an avant-garde mix of white-noise guitar drones, vocals verging on the unlistenable at times, and a clanging, rhythmic din produced by a percussion section consisting of construction materials, hand and power tools, and various metal objects."

albums to check out: perpetuum mobil, kollaps, halber mensch

Whitehouse - british noise/industrial/power electronics
"Whitehouse formed in 1980 on the fringe of the industrial music scene. Created by William Bennett, they pioneered a branch of experimental noise known as "power electronics," a genre explored by Japanese artists such as Merzbow. Influenced by contemporaries such as Throbbing Gristle and composers such as Alvin Lucier, Whitehouse developed a unique sound mixing high and low frequencies with aggressive bursts of electronics and vocals. With their label Come Organisation, they released what they termed "the most extreme music ever made." Often subject to censorship by stores and distributors due to subject matter and graphic record designs, they never bowed to commercial pressures and remained in control of their music and label."

albums to check out: erector, new britain, birdseed, quality time

Last edited:
HSC
lo-tel
something for kate
women in docs
ataris
goo goo dolls
muse
the whitlams
u2
george
the bangles

bex

HSC
the streets rock my socks off.. i was sooooooo pissed off when i missed out on tickets to the concert at the metro.. but rumour has it that mike will be back from BDO '05.. fingers crossed!

i think i like original pirate material better than a grand dont come for free.. actually no. thats a lie.. i appreciate them both and love them equally.. pick of the bunch- 'the irony of it all', 'its too late'and 'weak become hereos' from original pirate material and from A Grand dont come for free: 'could well be in' and 'wouldnt have it any other way'

Last edited:

alby

cool duckie
HSC
india.arie
seal (old but bloody awesome!!)
the streets
alanis morrissette (again, old but good)
george
lo-tel
something 4 kate
goo goo dolls
ataris
u2
jamiroquai
michael buble
nas
missy elliot
missy higgins
aaliyah
ashanti (a bit)
1200 techniques
xzibit
...& lots more that i cant think of right now...

walrusbear

HSC
before a felcher called michael buble came 'round there was once a man called sinatra
and he shat on the cunt

it's not even postmodern
it's lame imitation for forgetful middle aged people

Last edited:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
voracity patch rock. so hard to get hold of their music, but i think mcdick possibly has some mp3's on his computer. this is taken from wikipedia:

Voracity Patch is an avant-garde rock band from Finland, who first garnered international fame in the late 1970s. The band is noted for its unorthodox antics, especially during concerts.

Although the band has had a changing line up over the years, two members have remained a constant for fans. The lead singer, Olavi Järvinen, and drummer Pavvi Kyösti are the band's primary creative team, and are responsible for writing most of the group's most famous songs, including Dead Sea Master and Skrælings.

The media-shy Järvinen, who once hurled a life-size ceramic goat into the audience of a Dublin concert, has been quoted as saying "[We] know that Voracity Patch is what the undertrodden peoples of the world want to hear. We are the disenfranchised, we are the homeless, we are those whose lives have been tempered by injustice."

As of 2003, the band has released nine albums:

!aamurusko! (1975)
Red Cars and Mustard Gas (1978)
Coming from a Mile Away (1981)
Tumbler Hands (1985)
Crag Disputer (1988)
Nös Under-Shark (1990)
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos? (1995)
Live at the Indelburner (1998)
Tibet (1999)
Note: Tibet is not considered by many fans to be a true Voracity Patch album, as Pavvi Kyösti is not involved. The thirteen tracks were recorded by Järvinen in a Tibetan monastery.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
heyy, for people who were talking about ptl, if you go to www.ccnow.com (i think that's it) you can get all their shit pretty cheap. i bought two albums, an ep and a shirt for $77.77 all up aussie dollar.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I might as well add a few bands well worth checking out, and with most of them being local australian bands, you also go run off and see them live.

Klinger
Screamfeeder
Sekiden
Big Heavy Stuff
The Chevelles
Bluebottle Kiss
Cartman
Genevieve Maynard
Stella One Eleven
Kind Of Pluto
Oscarlima
Tiltmeter
Porcelain

Great solid Australian bands worth checking out. They've all got the odd song on JJJ.

Brad

Haha yeah... micheal Buble is "Mum-rock-lite" Along with robbie williams among others

Oh and the nirvana Box set is comiong out in november for all those who care

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
i know this guy right, and he likes frenzal rhombs music, but thinks the members are dickheads.
has the world gone topsy-turvy?
hahahahhaha

on that note, jason and the doctor is pretty good. john safran was on triplej today and he didn't quite cut it as a radio host from the very short part i heard of it.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
lyrics born! you gotta check him out. i usually think hip-hop is crap but he's pretty good.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
nice :)

Australian Bands

Virgin Black Avantgarde Gothic Metal

One of the most original bands I've listened to in a while. Avantgarde song structures, tenor vocals, gregorian choirs and dark, melancholic overtones.

Recommended Songs :

Walk Without Limbs (great electronic number)
Museum of Iscariot

Astriaal Black Metal

One of Australia's premier black metal bands, their recent full-length album Renascent Misanthropy pretty much redefined internationally what has become a bit of a stagnant genre with killer riffing and brutal vocals and drumming.

Recommended Songs :

Glories of the Night Sky (the mastered version from their 2003 release)

Overseas...

Finntroll and Moonsorrow Viking/Folk Metal

Scandanavian bands that combine black metal with traditional nordic instruments.

Recommended Songs :

Finntroll - Midnatten's Widunder
Moonsorrow - Sankaritarina

Arcturus Avantgarde Metal

Innovative (especially on their newer albums) Avantgarde metal which combines elements of metal, pop, trip hop, industrial, folk and elektro.

Recommended Songs :

Kinetic

Sigh

Japanese outfit that combines 70's rock, jazz fusion and black metal.

Recommended Songs :

Scarlet Dream
Divine Graveyard

Evergrey

An exceptional metal band, with great female and male vocals and heavy guitars.

Recommended Songs :

Recreation Day
Waking Up Blind
In The Wake of the Weary

Ulver

Amazing band. Ulver started off as a black metal band with folk inspired passages, but then followed their debut with an entirely acoustic guitar and tenor vocal driven album, Kveldssanger. After their third release (Nattens Madrigal) Ulver moved into electronic music, and in my opinion are one of the best Electronic groups around, combining elements of jazz etc into their music.

Recommended Songs :

Vowels (electronic)
Little Blue Bird (electronic)

Agalloch

Melancholic Folk/Forest metal with both growling and clean vocals. Probably one of my favourite bands.

Recommended Songs :

Kneel to the Cross
As Embers Dress the Sky

Vintersorg

Originally a Scandinavian folk act, Vintersorg (a one-man project) eventually evolved into something that can't be pigeon-hold into any genre, and is an amalgamation of rock, pop, metal, folk, jazz and electronic

Recommended Songs :

Till Fjalls
Universums Dunkla Alfabet
Svältvinter

Enslaved and Bathory

Raw and brutal Viking metal.

Orphaned Land Progressive Metal

Progressive Turkish band with touches of power metal and Turkish folk music.

Recommended Songs :

Ocean Land

Amorphis Folk Metal

One of Finland's finest. Excellent folk inspired metal.

Recommended Songs :

Drowned Maid
Divinity

Primordial Celtic War Metal

Celtic war metal in the vein of Belinus, Waylander and Cruachan (all great bands mind you). Combines traditional Celtic folk instruments and black metal.

Recommended Songs :

Spirit the Earth Aflame

Summoning Black Metal/Dark Ambient

Their first few demos and full length releases were pretty mediocre black metal, but on their second full length release Summoning began to produce some of the best dark-ambient music I've heard in a long time. (It's also based on LOTR ;))

Recommended Songs :

Arcenstone
A New Power Is Rising
Nightshade Forests

Throes of Dawn

Began as a black metal group, but are now a keyboard driven avantgarde metal band, their 2004 release Quicksilver Clouds is amazing.

Recommended Songs :

Black Carbon Snow

Sol Invictus

Apocalyptic folk with gothic elements.

Recommended Songs :

Trees In Winter

Winds

Dark/Avantgarde metal with beautiful classical passages.

Recommended Songs :

The Fireworks of Genesis
Time Without End
sounds good for a bit of light entertainment

N.U.G.

HSC
N.U.G. said:
these are some of my recomendations;

AUSTRALIAN HIP-HOP

1. Bliss n Eso - Sydney based group with incredible talent. Bliss n Eso's music is filled with imagination, creativity and skills. They have have recently released their debut full length album "Flowers In The Pavement" through Obese Records and have just started their National Tour.

click to download snippets

www.blissneso.com

2. Hilltop Hoods - Adelaide hip-hop group who are just too dope. Every album of their's has been very solid. Basically, the Hoods rock...

www.hilltophoods.com

I'll add US hip-hop and some RnB a bit later too

okay, continuing on...

US HIP-HOP

there's a lot of excellent US hip-hop, some of it is a acquired taste though so I'll recommend a couple of artists that can appeal to anyone;

1. De La Soul - fun, intelligent, funky - they are just dope...

2. Tupac - amazing rapper and person. His music takes you inside his life and the lives of urban youth in the US.

3. Outkast - all their albums are banging

RnB

1. Aaliyah

2. Mary J Blidge

3. D'Angelo

yup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)