• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bands You Recommend To Others (1 Viewer)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
well lucky for me he isnt is he, dipshit?
jesus is all around, didnt they teach you that in sunday school. you can't see him. but you can feel him.

walrusbear

HSC
did anyone read that funny series of What Would Jesus Do cartoons in the Honi Soit?
the last two were classic

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
i'm on this mocking religion spree of late. i really have to get a new hobby.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
if all y'all hatas ever want to get into some LOCAL music, check out these four stunners
purplene
tucker b's
adam said galore
deloris

HSC
the tucker b's supported the purps when i saw them

they were pretty good. they had a cool dynamic, but their bassplayer is a total cock. he was far too loud, and jumping around. something fell out of the ceiling and hit him in the head, and i laughed.
and the guitarist with the big beard is a champ

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
artfag said:
huun-huur-tu - four piece band from a little country near Mongolia, 'Tuva'. they have an amazing vocal technique where they can create two tones in their voice at one time.

this heat - quite possible one of the greatest post-punk bands ever. just listen to their album 'deceit' and be blown away

isis - these guys are just mammoth in sound. epic post-hardcore / sludge metal which also draws from a lot of post-rock influences.

jackie-o motherfucker - beautiful combination of avant-garde, free jazz, noise, electronica, folk, country + world music

dalek - hip hop group, that successfully combines traditional hip hop with the avant-garde. draws from bands like my bloody valentine, as well as a lot of krautrock like neu!, faust and can

peter brotzmann (quartet) - the most brutal, ear piercing, earth shattering, intense free jazz artist on the planet
nice :)

Australian Bands

Virgin Black Avantgarde Gothic Metal

One of the most original bands I've listened to in a while. Avantgarde song structures, tenor vocals, gregorian choirs and dark, melancholic overtones.

Recommended Songs :

Walk Without Limbs (great electronic number)
Museum of Iscariot

Astriaal Black Metal

One of Australia's premier black metal bands, their recent full-length album Renascent Misanthropy pretty much redefined internationally what has become a bit of a stagnant genre with killer riffing and brutal vocals and drumming.

Recommended Songs :

Glories of the Night Sky (the mastered version from their 2003 release)

Overseas...

Finntroll and Moonsorrow Viking/Folk Metal

Scandanavian bands that combine black metal with traditional nordic instruments.

Recommended Songs :

Finntroll - Midnatten's Widunder
Moonsorrow - Sankaritarina

Arcturus Avantgarde Metal

Innovative (especially on their newer albums) Avantgarde metal which combines elements of metal, pop, trip hop, industrial, folk and elektro.

Recommended Songs :

Kinetic

Sigh

Japanese outfit that combines 70's rock, jazz fusion and black metal.

Recommended Songs :

Scarlet Dream
Divine Graveyard

Evergrey

An exceptional metal band, with great female and male vocals and heavy guitars.

Recommended Songs :

Recreation Day
Waking Up Blind
In The Wake of the Weary

Ulver

Amazing band. Ulver started off as a black metal band with folk inspired passages, but then followed their debut with an entirely acoustic guitar and tenor vocal driven album, Kveldssanger. After their third release (Nattens Madrigal) Ulver moved into electronic music, and in my opinion are one of the best Electronic groups around, combining elements of jazz etc into their music.

Recommended Songs :

Vowels (electronic)
Little Blue Bird (electronic)

Agalloch

Melancholic Folk/Forest metal with both growling and clean vocals. Probably one of my favourite bands.

Recommended Songs :

Kneel to the Cross
As Embers Dress the Sky

Vintersorg

Originally a Scandinavian folk act, Vintersorg (a one-man project) eventually evolved into something that can't be pigeon-hold into any genre, and is an amalgamation of rock, pop, metal, folk, jazz and electronic

Recommended Songs :

Till Fjalls
Universums Dunkla Alfabet
Svältvinter

Enslaved and Bathory

Raw and brutal Viking metal.

Orphaned Land Progressive Metal

Progressive Turkish band with touches of power metal and Turkish folk music.

Recommended Songs :

Ocean Land

Amorphis Folk Metal

One of Finland's finest. Excellent folk inspired metal.

Recommended Songs :

Drowned Maid
Divinity

Primordial Celtic War Metal

Celtic war metal in the vein of Belinus, Waylander and Cruachan (all great bands mind you). Combines traditional Celtic folk instruments and black metal.

Recommended Songs :

Spirit the Earth Aflame

Summoning Black Metal/Dark Ambient

Their first few demos and full length releases were pretty mediocre black metal, but on their second full length release Summoning began to produce some of the best dark-ambient music I've heard in a long time. (It's also based on LOTR ;))

Recommended Songs :

Arcenstone
A New Power Is Rising
Nightshade Forests

Throes of Dawn

Began as a black metal group, but are now a keyboard driven avantgarde metal band, their 2004 release Quicksilver Clouds is amazing.

Recommended Songs :

Black Carbon Snow

Sol Invictus

Apocalyptic folk with gothic elements.

Recommended Songs :

Trees In Winter

Winds

Dark/Avantgarde metal with beautiful classical passages.

Recommended Songs :

The Fireworks of Genesis
Time Without End

Last edited:

artfag

Banned
HSC
bathory, ulver, astriaal and finntroll! i will definitely have to check some of those other ones out

taxman

make poverty
HSC
HURRAH! Deloris are king! They are really good stuff...have u heard the Unbroke Part Of It? That song kicks all the anuses Australia wide.

I'm a Little Birdy fan too, I missed their gig at the Dissociative concert cos I was too tight-arse, but their music is tops...'Baby Blue', 'Too Late' are both good songs.

Been listening to a bit of Jane's Addiction as of late aswell...if you haven't heard 'Just Because' yet, you are brain-dead. The riff on that has got to be one of the best of all time.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Haha, so my friends tell me everyday of the week. They laugh at the fact that I like Radiohead...and then they heard me listening to the Streets and they're like "Is this guy for real?"

The Dissociatives, in my opinion, are influenced by Radiohead just a tad...some of their music is pretty similar. Little Birdy however are just great because they're playing good country-style music and distributing it to the mainstream.

Which reminds me, THE STREETS...somebody's gotta know these guys, their music is great. British rap I suppose...their songs are hilarious "...but then she took off with that white shirted man..." LOL! Try out 'You're Fit And You Know It' and I can't think of any other songs at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)