Bands n dat. (1 Viewer)

youmadbra

HSC
N/A
A) Do bands get calculated according to the performance of overall HSC students(Thus on the basis of exam difficulty)?
Or....
B) Bands are already set accordingly like the SC exams... I.e Band 6-90+ , Band 5-80+ .. Etc.

I've heard it was like A...But the bos site does not say this.. Or maybe I missed it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A) Do bands get calculated according to the performance of overall HSC students(Thus on the basis of exam difficulty)?
Or....
B) Bands are already set accordingly like the SC exams... I.e Band 6-90+ , Band 5-80+ .. Etc.

I've heard it was like A...But the bos site does not say this.. Or maybe I missed it.

Both are done the same way - 90 = Band 6 but...in both years that 90 is an aligned not a raw mark.

There is a team of markers whose job is to decide the cut-offs for the bands at each level for each subject for both the HSC and SC.

youmadbra

HSC
N/A
So then... If I achieve 85/100 I.e for business for both my internals and externals ... and the team of markers decide that 80/100 is the cut off for a band 6 (2011) ... Will my HSC certificate show that I achieved a band 6?

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Your external mark will be like 93 in that case, you internal mark will differ depending on how the rest of your cohort does

Your final mark iwll be the average of the two

enoilgam

HSC
Your external mark will be like 93 in that case, you internal mark will differ depending on how the rest of your cohort does

Your final mark iwll be the average of the two
This. The internal mark is calculated via a process of moderation which uses your overall internal ranking and your cohorts external marks. Raw percentages are only used to determine the relative gaps between you and your competitors.

youmadbra

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I understand the process of moderation... But my question is, to achieve a band 6 - You'll need a total mark (Moderated mark, both internals and externals) of 90+ ?

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, I understand the process of moderation... But my question is, to achieve a band 6 - You'll need a total mark (Moderated mark, both internals and externals) of 90+ ?
Yes. But as cem said, that isnt a raw external mark of 90, but an aligned mark of 90.

youmadbra

HSC
N/A
Ok... I kinda get it. One last question, Will bands dictate your atar? Or is it more based on the performance of overall HSC students?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
ATAR scaling takes account of the overall ability of the students in that course (that is, the competition you faced in scoring a particular result). So, a 90 in 2 unit Mathematics will scale better than a 90 in General Mathematics.

enoilgam

HSC
ATAR scaling takes account of the overall ability of the students in that course (that is, the competition you faced in scoring a particular result). So, a 90 in 2 unit Mathematics will scale better than a 90 in General Mathematics.
This pretty much, scaling does change from year to year but it is relatively stable. Try experimenting with an ATAR calculator to see how it will all work out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)