in um science i got 86 and for english 86 both band 5's

HSC
I win at this thread.

English - band 4
Geo - band 5
History - band 4
Maths - band 3
Science - band 4

I can't be bothered re-posting my mark lol.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Science 81 Band 5
History 86 Band 5 [Supposed to be my best subject alongside English]

reggie7

You'll Never Walk Alone
HSC
this thread is stupid... you should be proud of yourself if you got a band 5.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
I got 5 for English and Science, 4 for History and Geography. Just the School Certificate, no biggie. My mum was disappointed though :(

bored of sc

HSC
reggie7 said:
this thread is stupid... you should be proud of yourself if you got a band 5.
i'd second that, band 5 is above average guys!!

jessica.ann

HSC
the sc does not mean a thing
i did mine hungover and without studying. dont panic
u shud b goin on to hsc for ureself and no one else.... its not about ur mum anymore.. its goin to b alot of work and u hav to want it for yourself...

my advice. fix any probs u hav in year 11 and then go flat out in yr 12. nothing u previously did matters... start everythin afresh in year 11....

good luck

dpospination

HSC
a band 5 mark is a brilliant result, so dont get down on yourself if u got one!!!

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I got band 5 for English, Maths, Science and Geo. But for Eng and Maths, I JUST missed out on band 6 by 1 one mark. Science and Geo, I missed out by 2-3 marks.
*fumes*

St. Eve

HSC
In my opinion, band 1 and 2 is poor
band 3 is acceptable if the subject is a weak subject for you
band 4 is good, unless the subject is one of your strengths
band 5 is excellent, and if you get straight 5s you should be happy
band 6 is brilliant, if you get band 6s then you should be very happy.

If you put the effort in to get straight 6s you wasted your time.

bored of sc

HSC
St. Eve said:
In my opinion, band 1 and 2 is poor
band 3 is acceptable if the subject is a weak subject for you
band 4 is good, unless the subject is one of your strengths
band 5 is excellent, and if you get straight 5s you should be happy
band 6 is brilliant, if you get band 6s then you should be very happy.

If you put the effort in to get straight 6s you wasted your time.
I would have to disagree about the effort for band 6's thing as creating good study habits that mean you achieve high marks helps you develop a firm foundation for future study in the much more important HSC, but that's what I think anyway

Aplus

HSC
N/A
If you achieved what you set out to achieve, then that's all that matters.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
bored of sc said:
I would have to disagree about the effort for band 6's thing as creating good study habits that mean you achieve high marks helps you develop a firm foundation for future study in the much more important HSC, but that's what I think anyway
SC developing good study habits? No way.

At best, it will get you abit accustomed to what cramming is like but quite frankly, many people (like me) haven't developed the systematic and ordered approach to studying required by those completing their HSC - such as revising daily, constantly updating notes and so forth. Studying for the SC is, in reality, represented by a week of continuous cramming of basic points and information - nothing more.

Well, that's what I think anyway. :D

St. Eve

HSC
bored of sc said:
Once your into your HSC course you have 100 times more motivation to study than for your SC.

bored of sc

HSC
Continuum said:

At best, it will get you abit accustomed to what cramming is like but quite frankly, many people (like me) haven't developed the systematic and ordered approach to studying required by those completing their HSC - such as revising daily, constantly updating notes and so forth. Studying for the SC is, in reality, represented by a week of continuous cramming of basic points and information - nothing more.

Well, that's what I think anyway. :D
it helped study and subject skills for me but everyone is different (see above)

williamc

HSC
St. Eve said:
Once your into your HSC course you have 100 times more motivation to study than for your SC.
no not really.

Continuum said:

Well, that's what I think anyway.
The majority of people don't study everyday for their HSC. Most people didnt start studying constantly until STUVAC. (2-3 weeks before the HSC).

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
williamc said:
The majority of people don't study everyday for their HSC. Most people didnt start studying constantly until STUVAC. (2-3 weeks before the HSC).
Really? Sure as hell wasn't the case when I asked some guys from Year 12. They said that even though they weren't stressing themselves out too much, they would update their notes and do some mild study everyday.

As for having more motivation to study during the HSC than the SC, I reckon that would be true. In contrast to my week's worth of cramming for the SC, I plan on studying fairly consistently throughout the HSC period - not enough to cause me to burnout though. :)

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Continuum said:
Really? Sure as hell wasn't the case when I asked some guys from Year 12. They said that even though they weren't stressing themselves out too much, they would update their notes and do some mild study everyday.

As for having more motivation to study during the HSC than the SC, I reckon that would be true. In contrast to my week's worth of cramming for the SC, I plan on studying fairly consistently throughout the HSC period - not enough to cause me to burnout though. :)
Ok so i go to a school ranked in the top 200 in the state, out of the 170odd students i would say only around 10 studied throughout the year. The rest just crammed or didnt study at all. But if you ask people at the selective schools (ranked top 30) there would be a higher % of people studying throughout the year. Truth be told they are the people who get the higher UAI's.

I didn't study for the SC at all because i knew it was a joke and a complete waste of time. As for the HSC the motivation levels weren't "100 times higher", i really couldn't bring myself to study throughout the year, cramming a couple days before tests, and a week before the trials. I finally said to myself, if i am going to get into USYD eco, i really need to study before the HSC. So i studied for like 3 weeks before the HSC and that was easily enough in all subjects bar mathematics in which requires constant study. In saying that, what i get for my UAI could reflect my poor study habits or not-so. :) .

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)