Bad MX2 teacher? (1 Viewer)

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

Today I received my timetable and was very disappointed with my new teacher for MX2. Apparently she explains concepts really quickly and just makes you do textbook work afterwards, but is intelligent and can answer questions that you don't understand well. Will this significantly affect my progress, considering the top 10 in MX1 excluding me are in the class with the undoubtedly more preferable teacher.

Thanks...

ahdil33

HSC
Nowadays it shouldn't really matter much how bad your teacher is for maths at least. Considering you're taking 4unit I assume you're have at least half a brain and are motivated to study, you should be able to self learn the whole course if you really wanted to. Stuff like http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons PatrickJMT on youtube, Khan Academy etc are full of explanations of every concept you can learn, and probably better than 90% of teachers out there, seeing as you can replay/watch it as many times as you want. Having a good understanding of the concepts is important though; make sure if you don't understand something from her, try ask her again, if not go online.

When it comes to questions you just do past papers, doesn't really matter outside that once you understand your work. If you look at the top students a lot of them don't go to tutoring and learn the whole course themselves, so if you work, 'you can do it', to quote your sig.

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Nowadays it shouldn't really matter much how bad your teacher is for maths at least. Considering you're taking 4unit I assume you're have at least half a brain and are motivated to study, you should be able to self learn the whole course if you really wanted to. Stuff like http://www.slideshare.net/nsimmons PatrickJMT on youtube, Khan Academy etc are full of explanations of every concept you can learn, and probably better than 90% of teachers out there, seeing as you can replay/watch it as many times as you want. Having a good understanding of the concepts is important though; make sure if you don't understand something from her, try ask her again, if not go online.

When it comes to questions you just do past papers, doesn't really matter outside that once you understand your work. If you look at the top students a lot of them don't go to tutoring and learn the whole course themselves, so if you work, 'you can do it', to quote your sig.
Well that brings me some relief. I just hope I'm not missing out on anything in comparison to the other guys, because I am really striving to achieve in the top 20 if not 10 in my school, which has a smaller proportion of the cohort doing MX2 than SBHS I believe..

Thanks and good luck for your upcoming exams :)

Deliriously

HSC
No worries, I never rely on my teachers. Although having a great teacher may help, it is not necessary
I already plan on doing my own study for MX2. I just attend class because I have to.

HSC
Uni Grad
I never relied on my teachers, heck not even tutors. I relied on myself to study. There are so many online resources available out there to study with. I took teachers and tutors as extra additional resources instead.

shongaponga

HSC
I taught myself the whole 4U course, didn't have a teacher at all - only help I received was from my 3U teacher every now and then when I needed assistance with a question. It can definitely be done. Like Deliriously said; learn the concepts, do a few questions from the textbook and then just hit past papers, its the best way to tackle 4U. Use these as well; http://4unitmaths.com/lectures4u.html, I found them quite helpful.
Good luck :)

Capt Rifle

HSC
You only attend those classes just for the lectures and brief explanations, what's important is the work you do at home. The work you do at home greatly influences your academic progression at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)