Bachelor of Financial Advising (Financial Planning) (1 Viewer)

davidw89

HSC
I'm currently taking this course at UWS, i plan to be a financial planner in the near future and i was hoping if anyone who has done courses in financial planning could advise me whether to stick with UWS or jump ship to UTS. I prefer UTS but their Business degree is pretty much a a generic commerce degree + majors on top.

Any advice/tips?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
1. AFAIK you does not require uni to get into the financial planning field, you can be qualified with this RG146 certificate which is some diploma thing that pretty much says you will give genuine advice and not discriminate blah blah blah , also follow some laws on inside information etc

2. a generic commerce degree + majors on top gives you flexibility, also uts is a better institution

3. financial planning seems to be the reject "fall back" option for finance students that cant get into trading, IB etc. i think the pay will be shit until you are good and have developed your portfolio of clients. the job involves lots of personal interaction, most likely with non affluent individuals and old people and dumbarses, and you dont get to stare at 5 computer screens which is shit

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much what ^ said.

Financial planners follow a script based on the institution they work with, and really only require the RG146 certification before they can legally sell investment products. There isn't that much thinking involved but of course having some qualifications will no doubtedly help improve your profile and ability to interact with clients.

ps. Not too sure about your UTS comment re: generic commerce degree + majors on top. Isn't that what they all are? If you want a financial planning qualification, there's a few different institutions which offer stuff but apart from RG146, I'm not too sure on how credible or recognised they all are. At least your UWS degree will be recognised regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)