BABMusStudies - GOVT major (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
For my IV and V years, I am considering taking Government as my second Arts major (my third all up). So has anybody got any insights into the courses and such that I might find useful?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Nah, they pretty much all suck. Im majoring in it anyway though.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's gotta be better than Gender Studies. Gender Studies was traumatic :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
why would you even do gender studies?

furthermore, there's some good subjects in government.
But don't do govt1406!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
stazi said:
furthermore, there's some good subjects in government.
But don't do govt1406!
note@phanatical: govt1406 is the only govt course stas has done.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah, I know, which is why i didnt comment on any other courses.
By word of mouth, though, I hear that the defense policy course is brilliant. The tutorials are also online.
But you'll have to start with 1XXX subjects.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I can fulfill the 1000-level subject requirement in a semester. I was planning to do GOVT1101 Australian Politics, and GOVT1105 Geopolitics this semester.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
absolution* said:
Not chauvinist enough?
I think the fact that I completely disproved feminism in a single essay got me on the wrong side of the Gender Studies department. But personally, I couldn't take any more after they glorified Tracey Moffatt's bullshit. Displaying male nudity on the screen in the Eastern Avenue Auditorium was the last straw.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think the fact that I completely disproved feminism in a single essay got me on the wrong side of the Gender Studies department. But personally, I couldn't take any more after they glorified Tracey Moffatt's bullshit. Displaying male nudity on the screen in the Eastern Avenue Auditorium was the last straw.
did it make you ejaculate?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I did it because I have substantial experience in the field of Gender studies from my work with organisations such as the MHIRC, MND and Dads on the Air (among others). For me to write about Gender issues, I felt that I had to understand more than just my own side of the argument, so I chose to take a Gender studies major. This was a mistake, as the Department of Gender studies wasn't as much about discussion and debate of ideas, as indoctrination of feminist rhetoric and propaganda.

That said, being one of only a few straight guys in gender studies did bring me quite a bit of attention from certain desperate classmates.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think the fact that I completely disproved feminism in a single essay got me on the wrong side of the Gender Studies department. But personally, I couldn't take any more after they glorified Tracey Moffatt's bullshit.
I'm not sure it's a fact that you can disprove feminism, mainly because it isn't a homogenous theory that can be 'disproved' as a whole. Since according to Wikipedia feminism is 'is a diverse collection of social theories, political movements, and moral philosophies'...I'm not sure if you can disprove all those things in a single essay. I'm also not sure if you can disprove a moral philosophy considering a moral philosophy is something that is subjective to the people who hold that moral philosophy. Perhaps you could claim to have disproved the moral philosophy of feminism when everyone stops believing in all forms of feminism?

What you are saying is like a communist claiming he disproved liberalism.

Displaying male nudity on the screen in the Eastern Avenue Auditorium was the last straw.
...that's an odd comment. Why is male nudity offensive or at least anymore offensive than female nudity?

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Fine. I disproved the concept of Gender as a Social Construct.
In a 3000 word essay you prove that gender (the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex) is totally not a social construct but biological?

Care to cut and paste?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No. My main HDD crashed, taking with it my Iron Chef episodes, my music (including my irreplaceable master copies of my Original compositions), and a whole heap of university essays.

What I proposed was that the concept of gender as a social construct faced several fundamental flaws, as discussed by Sacks and McElroy et al, and based upon research by Nathanson and Young, Manthey and MANY others.

I then proposed that instead of considering gender as a construct of society, we should consider society as a construct of gender (edit, among other influences). This theory does not suffer the problems Butler's theory faces - but is not a popular option because it effectively negates many of the arguments feminists use in suggesting that the concept of gender inherantly oppresses women.

I think I used the same argument in another thread not that long ago. Suffice to say, it's a theory that I've actually researched quite well.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
No. My main HDD crashed, taking with it my Iron Chef episodes, my music (including my irreplaceable master copies of my Original compositions), and a whole heap of university essays.

What I proposed was that the concept of gender as a social construct faced several fundamental flaws, as discussed by Sacks and McElroy et al, and based upon research by Nathanson and Young, Manthey and MANY others.

I then proposed that instead of considering gender as a construct of society, we should consider society as a construct of gender (edit, among other influences). This theory does not suffer the problems Butler's theory faces - but is not a popular option because it effectively negates many of the arguments feminists use in suggesting that the concept of gender inherantly oppresses women.

I think I used the same argument in another thread not that long ago. Suffice to say, it's a theory that I've actually researched quite well.
If that is the case I think it would be more accurate to say that you discussed and argued the case for an alternative interpretation of the construction of gender/society. I don't think that constitutes that you 'in fact' disproved feminism as you claimed.

It would be much like me writing an essay arguing in favour of realism and then claiming that I disproved internationalist liberalism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)