B Psych or B Arts - Psyc? (1 Viewer)

cottonmouth

HSC
Hey guys..
I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment! yes.. ive read everything on psychology at all the different unis.. uai cut offs etc.
I want to be a psychologist.. thats a fact. That's what I want to do
But...
do I do a B Psych? Or a B Arts - Psych?

The UAI for Arts is lower.. last years was 70 and B Psych was 80 ...
But is it competitive to get into the B Psych in the 4th year after doing the B Arts? etc etc...

So how should I go about doing this?

I am more towards putting down B Psych as my first preference..

... help?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Put down the B. Psych as your first preference, B. Arts- Psyc is a major in Psyc but yeah you must maintain a certain GPA to complete the psych component.

DTFM

HSC
Do a B. Psych if you are perfectly sure you want to be a psychologist. You get to do a four year sequence in Psychology regardless of whether or not you get into honours. Do a B. Arts (Psychology) if you are not entirely sure that you want to be a psychologist, it is far easier to change your major sequence in a B. Arts. The B. Arts also gives you more opportunities to study other topics that may interest you.

melanieeee.

HSC
Wooz said:
Put down the B. Psych as your first preference, B. Arts- Psyc is a major in Psyc but yeah you must maintain a certain GPA to complete the psych component.
really. are you sure. what is the gpa they need to maintain.

omarast

HSC
wait ders alot of other ways of getting into psychology like doin social scinces and all. so for the 4th year, u need a certain gpa is it.

and if u dont get that gpa are u screwed for that semester?

and cant u transfer to b-psych after one smester in b-arts

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
omarast said:
wait ders alot of other ways of getting into psychology like doin social scinces and all. so for the 4th year, u need a certain gpa is it.

and if u dont get that gpa are u screwed for that semester?

and cant u transfer to b-psych after one smester in b-arts
You transfer during the mid-year intake, if they are offered for that particular course.

http://future.uws.edu.au/ug/psychology/psychology

Hmm, it seems that you should be able to automatically progress to psych fourth year once your doing the psych major in arts.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It's pretty much automatic entry if your progression is satifsfactory, so yeah just pass.

old.skool.kid

HSC
Yer definatly put down B psych as 1st pref if you're sure you wanna be a psychologist.. Just out of interest, what uni has B psych at 80?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
melanieeestroll said:
so really its just like any other degree.
Yes and no at uws it says in the uac guide under B. Psychology "An accredited four-year degree in Psychology may also be obtained by taking a major in psychology in B arts, followed by honours or a postgraduate diploate offered at this University." That means if you want to progress you must do either hons or an a post-grad diploma in psychology, if you choose to do hons you will need a credit average gpa. Both hons. or a masters are Full fee courses.

The descriptor for psychology under B. Arts is very misleading and a better one is found under B. Psychology, additional info.

old.skool.kid said:
Yer definatly put down B psych as 1st pref if you're sure you wanna be a psychologist.. Just out of interest, what uni has B psych at 80?
UWS 80.25, Usyd is 96.95, UOW 90, UNCLE 72.25/75 + hons , UNSW 96, UNE 85 + hons, SCU 70+Hons, MQ 83.95+ hons /84.2 +hons /93.10, CSU 70.00+Hons/93.25

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
lolz random reply but when i was reading UAC it was saying it covers alot of bio and you need good mathematics concepts......wth has maths got to do with psychology, its the only thing putting me off this course

DTFM

HSC
MysticalElement said:
lolz random reply but when i was reading UAC it was saying it covers alot of bio and you need good mathematics concepts......wth has maths got to do with psychology, its the only thing putting me off this course
You need to know statistics.

omarast

HSC
MysticalElement said:

do u do bio? i think its mainly like epidemiolgy studies in boi that sort of maths.

or like wat the person above me said u need to know stats, like the way u need to know stats in eco. u have to see trends and find reasons why watever has occured.

nothing like differentiation or nething lol

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
omarast said:
do u do bio? i think its mainly like epidemiolgy studies in boi that sort of maths.

or like wat the person above me said u need to know stats, like the way u need to know stats in eco. u have to see trends and find reasons why watever has occured.

nothing like differentiation or nething lol

thanks thats a huge help

cottonmouth

HSC
well.. i've put in my preferences for 2009 and i put down newcaste b psych first... apparently the uni up there is wayyy better organised.

i was talking to a qualified psychologist myself and he said that pretty much it doesn't matter where you do the first four years you just have to pass.. but then what matters is the experience you get in the postgraduate.

lots of people drop out in years 1 and 2. some people don't realise that to become a registered psychologist it is 6 years - 4 of undergraduate then either 2 years clinical experience under a psychologist or postgraduate at university.

with what i was talking about firstly... i put down uws b psych second. uws has a really good psych department but from what i've heard from those in the psychology field its not very well managed and run.

*Buttercup*

HSC
I do psych at uws - im enrolled in b social science (psych). I got the marks for b psych but chose social science instead cos the b psych is quite science-based and i hate science - i prefer sociology, community studies etc. It just depends on what you want to do. I looked at all the subjects (which u can find out using the online course search on the uni website) and decided from there. If you're not sure then you might as well do B Psych, cos it's the simplest way to get there since fourth year is part of the course.

To get into honours in fourth year (no matter which degree u are doing) you have to have at least a credit average, altho the cut off might be higher the particular year you are doing it (it works the same way the UAI does - a certain number of people get in, and it's the ones with the highest score). To get into the alternative fourth year you have to have a pass average, im pretty sure.

No matter what way you choose to do it, you'll have to do mostly the same core psych subjects. And that includes two biology subjects and two stats subjects. But the B psych students do an extra three bio subjects... which is what i was trying to avoid when i chose social science.

And yeah, like u said... it doesnt really matter how you get ur major, as long as u get it. i dont think an employer will care if u did a b psych or b arts as long as ur marks and experience are good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)