B Commerce (Liberal Studies) vs. B Commerce (International Studies) (1 Viewer)

Lalala21

HSC
First post! :).

I was just curious as to what are the pros and cons for both degrees? (flexibility, enjoyable - provide your biases if you're doing the degree please, life during and after uni with the study workload, days of uni (is it 3 days per week of uni? :)). I know that for international - learning a new language and going overseas will be awesome, so that's a plus.

Ty ty :sun:

Lalala21

HSC
Yeah I'll put actuarial in my preference. But what's life like after graduating with an International Studies? I need replies...

billbro

HSC
N/A
First post! :).

I was just curious as to what are the pros and cons for both degrees? (flexibility, enjoyable - provide your biases if you're doing the degree please, life during and after uni with the study workload, days of uni (is it 3 days per week of uni? :)). I know that for international - learning a new language and going overseas will be awesome, so that's a plus.

Ty ty :sun:
If I were deciding between the two, I would opt for International Studies as going on exchange would be a pretty cool experience. With that said, I guess Liberal Studies doesn't rule out the option of exchange either.

To be honest, I study Commerce (Liberal Studies) and I don't think it really provides many advantages. I chose the degree mainly because I was interested in certain arts subjects, essentially it provides a change from the standard mundane Commerce degree. I definitely find the liberal studies component of my degree more enjoyable than the commerce side, but I would never pursue a career in philosophy or politics.

I presume you planning on enrolling at UNSW given the comparison you are asking for. If you decide to take on Commerce (Liberal Studies), USYD might not be a bad option - having spoken to a few people doing their degree over there, it seems that their degree is a lot more liberal/flexible.

Regardless of whether you study Liberal Studies or International Studies your workload won't really change. It is just your typical Commerce degree with an additional year tagged onto it, so generally you'll be at uni 3 days a week.

Life after uni... at least for me, it is no different to my friends who studied com/eco or straight com. We are all pretty much headed to professional service firms, apart from a few who are starting in IBs and management consulting.

Lalala21

HSC
You get kidnapped by the Chinese
I don't mind. ?

If I were deciding between the two, I would opt for International Studies as going on exchange would be a pretty cool experience. With that said, I guess Liberal Studies doesn't rule out the option of exchange either.

To be honest, I study Commerce (Liberal Studies) and I don't think it really provides many advantages. I chose the degree mainly because I was interested in certain arts subjects, essentially it provides a change from the standard mundane Commerce degree. I definitely find the liberal studies component of my degree more enjoyable than the commerce side, but I would never pursue a career in philosophy or politics.

I presume you planning on enrolling at UNSW given the comparison you are asking for. If you decide to take on Commerce (Liberal Studies), USYD might not be a bad option - having spoken to a few people doing their degree over there, it seems that their degree is a lot more liberal/flexible.

Regardless of whether you study Liberal Studies or International Studies your workload won't really change. It is just your typical Commerce degree with an additional year tagged onto it, so generally you'll be at uni 3 days a week.

Life after uni... at least for me, it is no different to my friends who studied com/eco or straight com. We are all pretty much headed to professional service firms, apart from a few who are starting in IBs and management consulting.
Thanks for the reply Bill :).

I'm still contemplating on whether to do MBBS, Engineering or Commerce (International Studies). So I may as well ask more questions :D.

Once you graduate and move onto the professional service firms/IB and management consulting, what's the salary like first year? It continues to increase once you move up into higher positions yes?

With your friends doing comm/eco, does it give them that extra advantage in gaining a career in a firm than a single commerce degree? More career opportunities? Or it's pretty much the same thing?

Out of curiosity, were you studying B Commerce (Liberal Studies) at UNSW?

Anybody who would like to rebuttal for Liberal Studies, please do so. I'd love to hear more opinions.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply Bill :).

I'm still contemplating on whether to do MBBS, Engineering or Commerce (International Studies). So I may as well ask more questions :D.

Once you graduate and move onto the professional service firms/IB and management consulting, what's the salary like first year? It continues to increase once you move up into higher positions yes?

With your friends doing comm/eco, does it give them that extra advantage in gaining a career in a firm than a single commerce degree? More career opportunities? Or it's pretty much the same thing?

Out of curiosity, were you studying B Commerce (Liberal Studies) at UNSW?

Anybody who would like to rebuttal for Liberal Studies, please do so. I'd love to hear more opinions.
The salary varies between the three areas, professional service firms are around 50-60k depending on the service line. Management consulting and IBs obviously pay more, but you would have to consider whether it is worth the additional hours that you are expected to work. Also, considering we are going through some leaner years there won't exactly be massive bonuses. As with any profession, your remuneration would obviously increase as you move up the rank - seems to increase rather exponentially if you are capable of climbing the corporate ladder.

Doesn't really matter what else you do with Commerce (with the exception of Engineering and maybe Science) I don't think it really distinguished you. Studying a degree that differs from straight Commerce probably has a marginal benefit when you initially apply for graduate positions as you might appear more rounded, with that said your degree is just a piece of paper in the end. Ultimately you will be pursuing further accreditation anyway, whether that is in the form of CPA, CA, CFA or postgrad qualifications.

I wasn't really trying to dissuade you away from Liberal Studies, rather that you have to weigh up the opportunity cost. I think the degree is great because it gives you greater exposure into areas of interest, but you are forgoing a year's worth of full time pay and accumulating further debt.

Yes, I'm studying B Commerce (Liberal Studies) at UNSW.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
I am doing comm(international) (at UNSW) right now...and i reckon it is a good course.
The only thing i reckon is not a plus going to UNSW, coming from someone who lives in the north shore, is that majority of people at UNSW live in the south such as parramatta, bankstown etc....
Its just a tad bit harder to catch up with friends.
If this same course was offered at USyd i would go there instead...lol.

The only difference between these two courses is that liberal studies DOES not guarantee a place for you to go exchange, where is for my course, u are guaranteed exchange as well, a free scholarship of about $2000, i think, i am not quite sure, cos i am still first year.

But you better get a good UAI greater than 97.05 cos it is bound to increase this year

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I am doing comm(international) (at UNSW) right now...and i reckon it is a good course.
The only thing i reckon is not a plus going to UNSW, coming from someone who lives in the north shore, is that majority of people at UNSW live in the south such as parramatta, bankstown etc....
Its just a tad bit harder to catch up with friends.
If this same course was offered at USyd i would go there instead...lol.

The only difference between these two courses is that liberal studies DOES not guarantee a place for you to go exchange, where is for my course, u are guaranteed exchange as well, a free scholarship of about $2000, i think, i am not quite sure, cos i am still first year.

But you better get a good UAI greater than 97.05 cos it is bound to increase this year
I head there's bonus points. Amirite? :haha:

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
i have a friend that does commerce (international) and goes to uni only two days a week, the bludger lol

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
i have a friend that does commerce (international) and goes to uni only two days a week, the bludger lol
I read that it's possible to combine it with law if you maintain a credit or distinction average, depending on your ATAR.

And is it that bludgy?...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
it sure as hell ain't as hard as engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)