Averaging Pass (1 Viewer)

pixelzz

HSC
Hey guys

Im in my final year of bachelor of liberal arts and science, majoring in history and minoring in IT(hopefully) and im averaging a pass in all my subjects thus far. I basically chose this course because i didn't know what i wanted to do until now, and that is something in economics/business.

Im curious as to what my options are when i finish this course. I've been reading around on different ways to enrol in another course but a pass average doesn't seem to even be better than the 80 atar i got. so Business/economics at usyd/unsw/uts/macq seem very unlikely. Should i just try business/economics at uws and will they take my pass average or my 80 atar?

thanks in advance guys

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
You can try ~ there is always a Masters in Commerce option but I don't know the admission requirements. All the best ~ :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can use your final year to bump up to a Credit average it will greatly aid in further study options, as I noticed many Masters programs require a Credit average undergrad. Though I've heard people using a Grad Dip after pass average Bachelors to then move into something else in further study.

HSC
N/A
With a mere pass it would be very difficult to get in any good course. The fact that you are achieving a pass is worrying because it means you may fail some of the subjects you do in your new course. This means you will have wasted a thousand or so dollars. I know what I'm saying is harsh, but it is probably the best advice anyone can give you. The worst thing someone can do is instil a sense of false hope and motivation.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
With a mere pass it would be very difficult to get in any good course. The fact that you are achieving a pass is worrying because it means you may fail some of the subjects you do in your new course. This means you will have wasted a thousand or so dollars. I know what I'm saying is harsh, but it is probably the best advice anyone can give you. The worst thing someone can do is instil a sense of false hope and motivation.
That's pretty horrible advice. Just because you struggled in one course, doesn't mean you will struggle is another course. Especially if it is in a different field.

HSC
N/A
My apologies. No, upon reflection, I certainly agree with you. I know some who struggled in High School and flourished in University. But that is the exception and not the trend.

My advice is to try as hard as you can, but realise that many university courses require more than a mere pass.

enoilgam

HSC
Your options are really limited by your marks - you wont qualify for most graduate programs and a transfer will be difficult. As LHS mentioned, a graduate diploma/certificate is probably your best bet - I think you can use the marks from this to transfer elsewhere.

You also might need to reconsider your study habits and engagement levels. I hate to be blunt, but considering that you are scoring a pass average and given your HS marks, you are going to need to put in a bit of work to turn things around. As people get older, habits become more and more entrenched and difficult to break. So you need to really take a step back and reevaulate, because if you dont, a change of course might end up yielding the same result.

zxreth

HSC
Your options are really limited by your marks - you wont qualify for most graduate programs and a transfer will be difficult. As LHS mentioned, a graduate diploma/certificate is probably your best bet - I think you can use the marks from this to transfer elsewhere.

You also might need to reconsider your study habits and engagement levels. I hate to be blunt, but considering that you are scoring a pass average and given your HS marks, you are going to need to put in a bit of work to turn things around. As people get older, habits become more and more entrenched and difficult to break. So you need to really take a step back and reevaulate, because if you dont, a change of course might end up yielding the same result.
wise words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)