Votes: 63 44.4%
  • auto. im a female

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • manual. im a female

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters

gna

HSC
I'm 18, Male and drive both Manual and Auto because i own two cars..

Generally when people saying driving manual in traffic is a bitch..no so much really...it becomes sub concious when you have a manual.

But when driving Auto, you can relax a bit more, pay less attention (bad i know) also smoke and talk on the mobile at the same time...

driving manual and smoking/talking and getting your drink is a bit hard..(and no, i don't believe in hands free)

Pace_T

HSC
manual slowly becomes less of a hassle. after a while i started getting use to driving with just one hand only (left hand obviously) and only sometimes i use both hands

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
ive got a sports organic clutch fitted to the car and well in traffic its a BITCH

CieL

HSC
bizadfar said:
THe only crap thing about autos is they are pretty effortless things to drive in, unresponsive as you have mentioned (esp older), from stand still to low speed(ie 40) is very fucking slow.
What car is this assumption based on?

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Its a convenience thing. Personally unless its a performance car or something with alot of power why bother with a manual? Its more work, less relaxing, and most of all when you go drive through at maccas etc its impossible to eat and drive at the same time! Same with answering a call on your mobile etc. (Maybe not impossible, but point is its alot more difficult). Not to mention when Im doing something stupid I prefer to have two hands on the wheel instead of one having to change gears.
BWAHAH speaking of which, my bf lost his car's virginity to a sausage and egg mcmuffin...

And yer, I've seen my friend drive manual and talk on the phone... uses his knees to steer whilst he changes gear with his right hand (left hand on phone) and continues to turn with his right hand... His brother eats lasagne whilst driving manual =S

bizadfar

HSC
CieL said:
What car is this assumption based on?
It's a fact in autos you get a bit of delay between when you push the pedal and when it actually moves. Now say you floor it, it takes agggeessss in certain speed ranges, to drop a gear and get going.

Mainly based on Integra 2005 (in D, not steptronic mode), Toyota Starlet, Toyota Landcruiser.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
CieL said:
BWAHAH speaking of which, my bf lost his car's virginity to a sausage and egg mcmuffin...

And yer, I've seen my friend drive manual and talk on the phone... uses his knees to steer whilst he changes gear with his right hand (left hand on phone) and continues to turn with his right hand... His brother eats lasagne whilst driving manual =S
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA..
Yeah I gotta learn that... for the moment i'm content with being able to drive a manual on "autopilot"... ah the blissfulness of not really having to think about doing things unless i'm trying to fucking PARK....which I shall be perfecting tomorrow...

CieL

HSC
bizadfar said:
It's a fact in autos you get a bit of delay between when you push the pedal and when it actually moves. Now say you floor it, it takes agggeessss in certain speed ranges, to drop a gear and get going.

Mainly based on Integra 2005 (in D, not steptronic mode), Toyota Starlet, Toyota Landcruiser.
Well, I agree there can be a split second delay, but in my car it's almost unnoticable, especially with the way I drive... I tend to let go of the brake, tap the accelerator the tiniest bit go gain slight momentum so your head doesnt snap back at all, then floor it when your body has snuggled nicely against the chair.... this is where I disagree it's fkn slow ahahaha my first gear has no problem hitting 7000rpm and 80kmph

Plus it's very responsive to downgearing

But then again, I have tiptronic... best of two worlds... Only thing I cant do is skip a gear (ie. straight from 4th to 2nd or similar)

Would the delay in acceleration from standstill also have something to do with the type of petrol you pour in? Cos I only put 98ron in mine... besides the fact that it can only take 95+ron

Jiga

Would the delay in acceleration from standstill also have something to do with the type of petrol you pour in? Cos I only put 98ron in mine... besides the fact that it can only take 95+ron
I dont think so..... a delay in any car would more than likely occur as it takes time (albeit still very short) for the info that you've floored it via the accelerator to get to the throttle body to let more air into the engine = go faster!

EDIT:

Things like drive-by-wire Im sure would decrease the delay

Last edited by a moderator:

Pace_T

HSC
CieL said:
Well, I agree there can be a split second delay, but in my car it's almost unnoticable, especially with the way I drive... I tend to let go of the brake, tap the accelerator the tiniest bit go gain slight momentum so your head doesnt snap back at all, then floor it when your body has snuggled nicely against the chair.... this is where I disagree it's fkn slow ahahaha my first gear has no problem hitting 7000rpm and 80kmph
touching the accelerator a bit and then flooring it after that is still basically a delay in the end lol

CieL

HSC
I never said there was no delay, I just emphasised that it's pretty much unnoticable.

Jimai

Jimai
HSC
I drive manual, as its more suitable for engines such as Honda's with VTEC which rely heavily on hi reving

I find auo really boring, and i only end up snoozing at the wheel. Very dangerous :S. Auto also has slow response to pedal pressure. Unlike manual, i can actually control the gears, and not rely on a computer.
The crap thing about manual, is traffic jams. In bumper traffic, i dont even bother creeping up till theres about 20 metres infront. Not worth the wear and tear on the clutch

Its true that manual as the sport racing edge, dont know why, HI reving torque? =D

Redgoddess

HSC
i'm female and i drive a manual - the advantage is that i can pretty much drive any car if the necessity arises (like the other day i had to borrow my dad's car which is manual while mine was getting it's muffler repaired). i can see the advantage of auto's in city traffic, but i like the manuals because you can drop it back a gear for better acceleration without having to wait for a computer's response. also my car's fair old, and while you might not notice the difference between auto and manual in heaps good new cars, they are DEFINITELY blindingly obvious in old under powered cars... which mine is, but i can *slightly* counteract that by downshifting before the car loses speed and such like. that and i'm an impatient control freak so i'd hate to have to wait for a computer to figure out what gear i should be in when it's really not hard to do it myself.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Redgoddess said:
i'm female and i drive a manual - the advantage is that i can pretty much drive any car if the necessity arises (like the other day i had to borrow my dad's car which is manual while mine was getting it's muffler repaired). i can see the advantage of auto's in city traffic, but i like the manuals because you can drop it back a gear for better acceleration without having to wait for a computer's response. also my car's fair old, and while you might not notice the difference between auto and manual in heaps good new cars, they are DEFINITELY blindingly obvious in old under powered cars... which mine is, but i can *slightly* counteract that by downshifting before the car loses speed and such like. that and i'm an impatient control freak so i'd hate to have to wait for a computer to figure out what gear i should be in when it's really not hard to do it myself.
yeah good point :santa:

Ishamael

Irate (o_0) Pirate
HSC
Male Manual driver.

Any auto drivers that claim that manual drivers are just harbouring delusions of grandeur or just justify their choice on the basis that manuals are too fiddley and distracting... I can drive home drunk after 3 hours sleep, and the most distracting thing I face is the heater.
A real manual driver can operate the vehicle blind, on touch and sound alone, and all you critics are just whiney bitches.

I would get bored/asleep if I didn't have the gearstick to keep me mobile.

All decently respectful auto drivers are ok.

Last edited:

Jiga

^

Driving home drunk, which apart from being totally fuckin stupid and I hope you get caught, is not something you can use to say how easy manual is. When your drunk you can still do many things, its the higher order skills which suffer... driving a manual is not one of these, its just a repetive actions. So the fact remains, your doing something that you dont have to in a manual, and with modern cars having semi-auto and 6 gears etc the need for manuals is growing less and less, although personally at least I would argue there has never been a need unless you drive truck/4WD/peformance car.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Ishamael said:
Male Manual driver.
Female Manual driver.

Ishamael said:
Any auto drivers that claim that manual drivers are just harbouring delusions of grandeur or just justify their choice on the basis that manuals are too fiddley and distracting...
True. It improves your concentration actually, I know an 89 year old female manual driver who drives better than most guys (of any age)

Ishamael said:
I can drive home drunk after 3 hours sleep, and the most distracting thing I face is the heater.
Babe, dont drive drunk full stop.[

Ishamael said:
A real manual driver can operate the vehicle blind, on touch and sound alone, and all you critics are just whiney bitches.
Bahaha.... so i'm not quite there with skills but manual driving is just automatic to me.

Ishamael said:
I would get bored/asleep if I didn't have the gearstick to keep me mobile.
Yeah same.

Ishamael said:
All decently respectful auto drivers are ok.
That must be Priesty.
Sigh.

^_^

Ishamael

Irate (o_0) Pirate
HSC
luscious-llama said:
Babe, dont drive drunk full stop.
Drunk = Not having a BAC below 0.05. I wasn't fecked off my nut, but I wouldn't try it or advise it in the future.

luscious-llama said:
That must be Priesty.
Sigh.

^_^
Lol Originally no, it was dasphoebus, but Jono fits coz he respects MrsPacman's manual superiority.

Jiga

Drunk = Not having a BAC below 0.05. I wasn't fecked off my nut, but I wouldn't try it or advise it in the future.
Yes its fucking stupid.... although from my experiences the chances of you getting caught are small in NSW, because the cops here are fucked. In recent days I have seen at least 6 RBT's all midweek (like Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday) and all during times like 10am in morning or 4pm in afternoon. YET I drive a fair bit on Friday and Saturday nights and I have only ever been RBT'd once, and seen only one other RBT... and the time I did get tested wasnt even a weekend it was state of origin so a Wedneday at night. Why they do it during the week I have no idea, they must get 1% of people when on a weekend they would be bound to get 50%.... at 2am or so in the morning at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)