Votes: 21 14.8%
  • manual. im a female

Votes: 22 15.5%

• Total voters

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Its heaps easy to burn rubber in auto's, plant your foot from a stand still and the tyres light up. Manuals are fun to drive because you can slam it down a gear at any speed and any rev to give you acceleration, whereas in an auto and you put your foot down, you have to wait for the sluggish box to knock it back a gear and then slowly climb in speed.

Jiga

Its heaps easy to burn rubber in auto's, plant your foot from a stand still and the tyres light up
Ah no, you cant just burn rubber like that. The most Ive got of the cars Ive driven, being both small (1100kg) and large (1400kg) is alittle wheel spin, you cant full on rip it up in autos, even when putting it into a low range gear it doesnt really work in most cases (It does fuck your transmission up though).

Im sure if the car has a turbo it would, but your avg auto....

Last edited by a moderator:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Ah no, you cant just burn rubber like that. The most Ive got of the cars Ive driven, being both small (1100kg) and large (1400kg) is alittle wheel spin, you cant full on rip it up in autos, even when putting it into a low range gear it doesnt really work in most cases (It does fuck your transmission up though).

actually, get an old tarago, put it in D and press the brakes and the accelerator. puts sport cars to shame really. you could wear out your whole tyre on one run, or smoke the adjacent street, whichever occurs first ;)

Jiga

actually, get an old tarago, put it in D and press the brakes and the accelerator. puts sport cars to shame really. you could wear out your whole tyre on one run, or smoke the adjacent street, whichever occurs first
I was referring to Daddyk and how he said;

"Its heaps easy to burn rubber in auto's, plant your foot from a stand still and the tyres light up"

I assumed in this case planting your foot meant just flooring it off the line... in which case your not going to burn rubber in auto in normal circumstances (Meaning no lower gear selected, braking at the same time or having the handbrake on)

;)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
shortygb said:
we got an old Tarago, i gotta try that one day! :D
just make sure its not near your house :rolleyes:

oh okay i just realised. but even with sport cars, unless the are FWD they wont "light up" until they reach higher revs. the other day i saw a guy in a 200SX give it while in second and he started drifting. i cant describe my face, cos it would take a long string involving two "W"s and a heck of alot of "O"s...

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:

Uh yeh it is, i was in our ford AU, in Drive, planted it and it did a burnout all the way up to 80 k's, so, your wrong ay.

Jiga

Uh yeh it is, i was in our ford AU, in Drive, planted it and it did a burnout all the way up to 80 k's, so, your wrong ay.
Or your just talking shit as usual (Certainly not the first time) :uhhuh:

I will admit Ive only driven FWD's, and obviously they have more weight at the front which makes it harder for the wheels to lose traction..... but I have friends with RWD's who gun it off the line and there is no burn out up to 80km/h.... this fact alone shows everyone you are full of shit... there is no way on earth an auto burns out up to 80km/h EVEN if the tyres were bald as anything (In dry conditions that is, in the wet is another story!). As a previous poster mentioned, the cars 'lights up' because of the higher revs... in manuals you can control this by limiting gear changes, in an auto, you have no control, once it shifts you are NOT going to be doing a 'burn out' even if you did get some wheel spin off the line initially!

EDIT:

I know a guy with an AU ford as well, I will ask him and see what he thinks!

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I will admit Ive only driven FWD's, and obviously they have more weight at the front which makes it harder for the wheels to lose traction.....
It's easier in FWD. As a car accelerates (from 0), it's inertia (I'm no physics student) causes a lot of weight to drop on to the rear wheels in that moment. This can be seen in an exaggerated form when dragsters leave the line, and in the launch, their front wheels leave the ground. On rear-wheel drive cars, this weight forces the wheels down, making it harder to break loose. For FWD, the weight is further removed, and it spins easy.

Jiga

It's easier in FWD. As a car accelerates (from 0), it's inertia (I'm no physics student) causes a lot of weight to drop on to the rear wheels in that moment. This can be seen in an exaggerated form when dragsters leave the line, and in the launch, their front wheels leave the ground. On rear-wheel drive cars, this weight forces the wheels down, making it harder to break loose. For FWD, the weight is further removed, and it spins easy.
Hmmm that logic sounds plausible... but the issue is whether enough of that weight of the engine is taken off the front wheels, I dont think so personally. In a RWD car, its alot lighter at the back with no engine their, and even with the weight being distributed at the back abit with the acceleration... I dont thinks its enough!

EDIT: And also, drag cars have the engine at the back, are RWD, and huge amounts of torque, and are very light especially at the front... all of which make the front come up, and even then only a little bit. With your average car, the weight transfer is minimal. RWD are better for burnouts!

And from my experience, in my car at least... which isnt a fast car but no slouch (140kw 260Nm) I rarely get much wheel spin gunning it off the line... and thats with tyres that dont have to much tread on them.... although I will admit its no FOrd AU that can rip it up to 80km/h :rolleyes: In defence though, peak torque and power is quite high up on my car but still....

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it was an 'exaggerated' example (but for the record, I wasn't talking funny cars - I meant souped up front-engined Mustangs). In comparison of our Volvo 850 (FWD) and Volvo 264 (RWD) the difference is marked. Unless your car has an LSD, traction control, or something of the likes it will DEFINTELY spin easier than its RWD counterpart. And that's a guarantee :).
Anyways, you're saying that weight distribution is an issue. It isn't. Your car probably has no greater weight dist ratio than 45:55. If it did, it would handle like a sleigh. Properly balanced RWD cars have a dist raio of 49:51 (or even 50:50). Eg. Porsche 944. Same for properly balanced FWD cars, like Peugeot 405 Mi16, which is again something like 49/48:51/52.
The physics of the launch (in acceleration) is what really makes the difference. Positive G's - weight on back - FWD weelspin.
Negative G's - wieght on front - larger front brakes.

Jiga

The physics of the launch (in acceleration) is what really makes the difference. Positive G's - weight on back - FWD weelspin.
Negative G's - wieght on front - larger front brakes.
Yeah I still find it hard to understand though..... you have a very heavy engine at the front pushing downwards onto the tyres cos of gravity, there wouldnt be THAT much weight being pushed onto the back wheels. And with your cars... power could be a difference? :confused:

Never mind, in either circumstances (more so in yours), Daddy k's burnout up to 80km/h is proven to be full of shit.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah I still find it hard to understand though..... you have a very heavy engine at the front pushing downwards onto the tyres cos of gravity, there wouldnt be THAT much weight being pushed onto the back wheels.
:) You're forgetting that there's enough weight on the rear axle to counteract the engine weight. It is more or less pushing down with the same force on both front and back.
And with your cars... power could be a difference?
The Nms are the same, and that is what makes the wheels really spin. Sure, there are other factors, but this was a basic example.
Never mind, in either circumstances (more so in yours), Daddy k's burnout up to 80km/h is proven to be full of shit.
It's hard to tell if he was being sarcastic or otherwise. But yes.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
your a fucking cockhead, you don't know shit. My mate was sitting in the passenger seat right next to me when i did it. i'll even pick you up and show you, just to prove that you don't know anything and that your an upyourself wanker.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
DaddyK said:
your a fucking cockhead, you don't know shit. My mate was sitting in the passenger seat right next to me when i did it. i'll even pick you up and show you, just to prove that you don't know anything and that your an upyourself wanker.
dude, a stock ford wont do it off the line, becasue it doesnt have enough power in the lower revs to initiate the wheelspin in the first place. any wheelspin that might occur would be from either a slight/large turn, if you rev it up to about 3K before letting go of the brake, or after a little bit of traction (ie you hit over 30km/hr before torque kicks in and it starts spinning)

and the reason FWD spins easier than RWD is simple. in RWD the wheels are pushing the car, whereas in FWD the wheels are pulling it. i hope you understood that, but basically it means that although the FWD car has the engine to keep it planted, an RWD car has the whole car to keep it planted.

having said that, in reference to my first paragraph i know many a 200SX that gets its wheel spins in the high revs of second gear. of course, it is turbo, and it does get its wheelspins in first, but then again, a little touch of the clutch can let me wheelspin my excel through all of first gear. have done so many times, and the only thing that stopped the spinning was the redline ;)

Jiga

Ummm I think you've shown you know jack shit..... and not just on this occasion (Although this seems to be your dumbest call yet). Anyway, I know a guy with an AU Ford, next week I will judge for myself... but lets just say, Im not holding my breath, burnout to 80km/h LOL -> IMPOSSIBLE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)