Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
I haven't been following the Smith ADFA Kafer caper too closely, but reading a few opinion pieces and whatnot there's a sentiment abouts that Smith has blown it vis a vis becoming PM.

I dunno if that's an accurate assessment, but slaggin' the Army is kinda like pissing on a sacred cow as far as Aussies are concerned.

Lentern

HSC
I haven't been following the Smith ADFA Kafer caper too closely, but reading a few opinion pieces and whatnot there's a sentiment abouts that Smith has blown it vis a vis becoming PM.

I dunno if that's an accurate assessment, but slaggin' the Army is kinda like pissing on a sacred cow as far as Aussies are concerned.
It's frowned upon but I also don't think it's a vote turner. I also think beneath the bluster of the hard right Smith's actions have played out ok, the whole sticking up for a vulnerable young woman thing.

Lentern

HSC
What do *you* think of his behaviour on the matter m8?
I think the Defence chiefs have been riding roughshod over the Ministry of Defense for donkeys years and are long overdue for a shakeup basically. I think Smith's conduct has been fine.

delian

HSC
N/A
It's frowned upon but I also don't think it's a vote turner. I also think beneath the bluster of the hard right Smith's actions have played out ok, the whole sticking up for a vulnerable young woman thing.
True to some degree, but it's not good to piss off the military top brass.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
True to some degree, but it's not good to piss off the military top brass.
I don't think that's entirely the case in this country. I'm not of the opinion that the Australian military exercises that much of an influence on federal (or any lower abstraction) politics, especially given the fact that they had billions of dollars cut from their budget last year. Our military isn't as integrated into politics as much as America's is and provided that our actual military is of a pretty low magnitude in comparison to a lot of other developed countries, their sway is minimal and more at the behest of the Parliament, as opposed to the opposite.

Lentern

HSC
I don't think that's entirely the case in this country. I'm not of the opinion that the Australian military exercises that much of an influence on federal (or any lower abstraction) politics, especially given the fact that they had billions of dollars cut from their budget last year. Our military isn't as integrated into politics as much as America's is and provided that our actual military is of a pretty low magnitude in comparison to a lot of other developed countries, their sway is minimal and more at the behest of the Parliament, as opposed to the opposite.
There is a ridiculously high turnover of ministers in that department, with the exception of Robert Hill no defense minister has served a full term in the post Keating era. I agree they ultimately have nowhere near as much clout as the US but compared to other public servants the Defence Chiefs get a lot go there way.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Bligh government will get smashed imo.

And like nsw the new state govrrnment will have no obligations to do anything for the ppl except sit on their bums and not do anything shit

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Bligh government will get smashed imo.

And like nsw the new state govrrnment will have no obligations to do anything for the ppl except sit on their bums and not do anything shit
so in the last what? 6 months? of O'Farrel's government, I've been more aware they've been doing things than the last entire term of Labor

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
hey guys we have a new leader

we won't shoot them we promise because they're a girl this time

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
There's little doubt he will now.

There's been a massive late surge across the state and in Ashgrove to the LNP and Newman (See latest Galaxy and Newspoll).

The wheels really fell off the ALP campaign with the CMC announcement and Bligh's admission she had no evidence for the claims against Newman.

I'm predicting a 60/40 2PP result with 15 seats to Labor. Decimation. Going to be a difficult few years for them and they don't have an upper house to shore up those numbers.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
LNP will win. Katters party will get a handful of seats also. Newman will probably win Ashgrove.

The Liberals under Barry O'Farrel have been in power in NSW now for just over a year. In that time they have done shit all and are no better than Labor with Keneally was. Robyn Parker is an idiot and should have lost her ministry. O'Farrel himself is a likeable guy, although he is too cautious after having been in opposition for so long. Most of his ministry are also incompetent (as was most of the Labor ministry also).

Both sides of NSW politics are a bunch of incompetents by and large.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
so in the last what? 6 months? of O'Farrel's government, I've been more aware they've been doing things than the last entire term of Labor
Doing more than the last entire term of the labor government?

Not really saying much.

My point is that people don't expect the o'farrel government to do much, merely to provide the stability the previous government lacked. They've so far delivered on this.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
i remember when barrel o'farrel was fat.

those were the days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)