• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Re: Swanny!

He's just so unsure. Particularly with impromptu questions.

Anything which can't be answered by his pre-prepared lines is just painful to watch.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

zammitm1 said:
when wayne swan was asked about the NAIRU early this year, he had noooooo idea wdf it was, and its an economic idea that could soon be relevant to Australia. yeh he's ok, but slightly ignorant on some matters
In the past mang. He's improved dramatically. Better than Costello!

Lentern said:
Bt his ability as a politician leaves plenty to be desired. He's boring, he's unconvincing, he has this habit of sounding like he is trying to remember liens, in parliament he comes across as partisan and insecure, as if he's trying to hunt for fear of becoming the hunted. He is infact everything that made Simon Crean a weak leader and less.
Hmm, I haven't watched Parliament for quite some time, but once again, I hear that he's improved quite a bit. He doesn't spit and splutter, facing his own party anymore but instead takes it to the opposition. Case in point: When he called Costello out earlier on in the year for something he did (or didn't do, I forget), and the opposition couldn't really say anything in his defense. He's not the most exciting politician, but I understand that his performance in parliament has imrproved lots. I look foward to watching some parliament whenever its on over the summer break. :spam:

Lentern

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
In the past mang. He's improved dramatically. Better than Costello!

Hmm, I haven't watched Parliament for quite some time, but once again, I hear that he's improved quite a bit. He doesn't spit and splutter, facing his own party anymore but instead takes it to the opposition. Case in point: When he called Costello out earlier on in the year for something he did (or didn't do, I forget), and the opposition couldn't really say anything in his defense. He's not the most exciting politician, but I understand that his performance in parliament has imrproved lots. I look foward to watching some parliament whenever its on over the summer break. :spam:
His style is more confident and aggressive, but no more effective. His old one probably won him a bit of a sympathy but now he is just repelling in his style. Where oh where of where is Lindsay?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

how is it not effective? he conveys economic information with clarity and looks to know what he's on about. of course, i might be mistaken because i don't know much about economics. I just assume he's doing a good job. :rofl:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Labor state dominoes set to fall

LABOR is terminal in NSW and on the skids in Victoria as the national political pendulum swings back to the Coalition in the states and territories.

The party would be massacred in NSW if an election were held now, and would struggle to retain power in Victoria, according to the latest Newspolls, conducted exclusively for The Australian during September and last month.

While NSW Premier Nathan Rees would not have expected a major bounce just two months into his term of office, Victorian Premier John Brumby will be shaken by the result.

The Victorian Government has traditionally been state Labor's beach-head, as it has avoided the kind of lurid scandal that has struck some of its interstate counterparts, and the state's economy has remained sound.

IMRE SALUSINSZKY: Bad start for Rees

Voters across the country are ignoring Kevin Rudd's mantra of "co-operative federalism" and are punishing the Prime Minister's state and territory counterparts for their failures in infrastructure, service delivery and economic management.

MIKE STEKETEE: ALP's in a sorry state

If the trend holds and Labor is returned at the federal election due late in 2010, COAG meetings during Mr Rudd's second term could resemble the quarrelsome and frequently unproductive occasions they became when John Howard confronted a solid slate of Labor premiers and chief ministers.

In NSW, the Coalition has a massive two-party-preferred lead over Labor of 56 per cent to 44per cent, while Victoria is too close to call, with Labor leading the Coalition by 51 per cent to 49per cent. Labor's primary support of 29 per cent in NSW is the lowest ever recorded, while in Victoria its primary support of 37per cent is the lowest since the beginning of 2005.

The Newspolls follow Labor's defeat at the West Australian election in September, its near-death experience at the Northern Territory election in August and the loss of its parliamentary majority at last month's ACT election.

They also confirm recent Newspoll results in the other states.

A Newspoll conducted in South Australia between July and September found the Labor Government of Mike Rann in a dead heat with the Opposition, led by Martin Hamilton-Smith.

A Newspoll in Queensland in August and September was also too close to call, with the Labor Government of Anna Bligh leading the newly merged Liberal National Party, led by Lawrence Springborg, by 51 per cent to 49per cent.

The results could not provide a starker contrast to the federal outlook, with the latest Newspoll showing Labor with an eight-point lead over the Coalition in two-party-preferred terms, and 65 per cent of voters satisfied with the way Mr Rudd is doing his job.

It appears that, while the gloss has not come off Mr Rudd, the Labor brand is struggling.

Nor is leadership at state level necessarily the issue, with Mr Rees and Mr Brumby leading their opponents, Ted Baillieu and Barry O'Farrell, as preferred premier.

Voters clearly see benefits in balancing a federal government with state and territory governments of the opposite political complexion.

"All the state governments are suffering from the same thing," ABC election analyst Antony Green said yesterday.

"They no longer have the federal Coalition to run against," he said. "They have to stand on their own two feet and can't blame John Howard any more."

"The Victorian poll shows it's competitive and Labor can come back. The NSW ratings are terminal, unless Rees can leverage his popularity into votes."

The difficulty Labor premiers face is that the economic clouds have darkened: their revenue base is cyclical and relies on transaction duties and payroll taxes.

Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Monday show house prices in every capital city except Hobart fell in the September quarter, suggesting the states' honey-pots are empty.

NSW Treasurer Eric Roozendaal has revealed the state lapsed into a deficit of $650 million in the first three months of this financial year. Next week, Mr Roozendaal will bring down a mini-budget in which a number of key infrastructure projects will be axed.

South Australian Treasurer Kevin Foley has revealed his state is facing a $220 million investment income shortfall, which threatens to wipe out the $160 million surplus predicted for 2008-09.

Mr Foley will deliver an economic statement in December.

The states are also exposed to the global collapse in equity prices through the self-insurance and superannuation funds they run.

Reports tabled in the Victorian parliament last week revealed a blowout of almost $3 billion in the state's unfunded public service superannuation liabilities.

The economic crisis leaves state governments with little capacity to bribe voters at election time.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24604423-601,00.html

opinions opinions ppl.

HSC

I like it how Ruddbot and Swanny release all the gloomy treasury advice on the day of the US election...

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

It's incredible how the trend continues. One party at a Federal level. Another at a state level.

Lentern

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
how is it not effective? he conveys economic information with clarity and looks to know what he's on about. of course, i might be mistaken because i don't know much about economics. I just assume he's doing a good job. :rofl:
It's not a case of economics, because of the inner workings of the party we will never know whether he is a one man band or a puppet. What we can evaluate is his ability as a politician and when he talks about the coalition he seems bitter, when he launches a policy he is dull and when he fields questions he often seems flummoxed and lacking confidence. The upside to Swanny is he will never make an Abbott/Garrrett/Heffernan sort of gaffee. That works in opposition but in government you need to set the pace more. Dr Craig could do it, as could Smith, Crean has the experience, the stature and a is more relaxed nin his dealings with the press making him preferable to Swanny. But none of these fine young cannibals have anything on our formidable finance minister. Why on earth is he being squandered on such a portfolio?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

Silver Persian said:
I like it how Ruddbot and Swanny release all the gloomy treasury advice on the day of the US election...
when he was asked the current and forecasted inflation figures he didn't know, because he couldn't find them in his notes :rolleyes:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Silver Persian said:
Politics as usual, then.

boris

Banned
HSC

Can the nsw government get any worse? nsw health has been given notice to cut $500 million from its budget. its huge budget. stopping construction on projects liej wagga and nepean hospitalse etc. Katie give me some stats.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

You're fucking kidding me?

If there's one thing that'll make me vote against NSW Labour, health budget cuts would be it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Theyre trying to build momentum for a ref on Cth take-over. They dont want health (but Rudd wont mind it)

boris

Banned
HSC

yeah no they just did an audit on every health facility in the state and pretty much told the managers to start looking for people to fire etc. this, in a health system where nurses and doctors are being forced to go out and buy bandages off vets with their own money.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

What a scoop! if true

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

Trefoil said:
You're fucking kidding me?

If there's one thing that'll make me vote against NSW Labour, health budget cuts would be it.
lol yeah cause they've certainly done nothing else wrong

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

boris said:
Can the nsw government get any worse? nsw health has been given notice to cut $500 million from its budget. its huge budget. stopping construction on projects liej wagga and nepean hospitalse etc. Katie give me some stats.
what stats do you want mang?

GWAHS is over budget by 1million every month or something, idk. there is a total freeze on new staff and most bills are running at 90+ days

bathurst is fucked, doctors in dubbo havent been paid in months and the nurses in dubbo have been sourcing bandages from vet clinics

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

i know we've been told we have to try and get as many private patients in as possible

we're no longer accepting sharps containers from diabetics or druggies because it costs us money to dispose of them

not replacing nurses who call in sick coz they cant afford to cover both the sick pay and the cost of having another nurse do that shift

casuals havent been paid in 3 weeks

beds are being closed because hospitals cant afford to keep patients anyyyyymoreeeee

idk it's hard to think off the top of my head, ive got it all written down somewhere.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

yeah cool story. im a little worried, why does no one seem to know about this? its like a 3/4 page story on the daily telegraph lol. and no one on here even knew?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)