• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Na, it's just not fair on Labor that they bleed voters to these radical parasite parties while the Libs and Nats are mild and similar enough to join together

lol forgot family first

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Iron said:
Na, it's just not fair on Labor that they bleed voters to these radical parasite parties while the Libs and Nats are mild and similar enough to join together

lol forgot family first
Family First will never amount to anything more than 2% support.

Anyway, don't blame Greens for the voter bleed - blame plurality voting (at least in the lower house). It confuses me that the upper house is proportional yet the lower house is still first-past-the-post.

When the Greens start to consistently poll above 10% (which will be next election), they're going to have to start working with Labour (and Labour will have to work with them), as in the ACT (or would you prefer a coalition instead of a minority government? Because Greens won't do that). Up until now they've had the luxury of being above the fray because they weren't a mainstream party. Now, they've pretty much beaten the popular vote record of the National party for its entire existence, if current polls are anything to go by (and past polling/election correlations indicate they are), so there goes that position (and any 'radicalism' which people like you still attribute to them).

It's not like Greens don't preference Labour anyway, though.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I dont know what you are saying. The page wont stay still or some shit.

Family First have badly damaged their projected vote in the last two elections
They wont outlive Brown.
Their popularity will slump, as with the Dems, when power dictates that they must compromise (you know, that thing that serious politicians do)

These truths are self evident

Also, how does one join the mile hile club? Invitation, application, referral?

HSC

Iron said:
Why dont the right wing have a bastard child who wont obey or learn a thing too? Gun nuts and the like, calling for a radical roll back of the state and massive tax cuts
edit prince harry &-flattered-but-not-interested sorz
Howdy.

All you have to do is get me into politics.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

But how would I explain myself to God, Herr Shroedinger!!?

HSC

Iron said:
But how would I explain myself to God, Herr Shroedinger!!?
You buy the man a beer. You say "look mate, we all made mistakes, I mean, look what happened with the anglicans".

Don't wince.

Never surrender. Join me. Fight with us. never give up. We shall perspire, but proceed, perniciously!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ,
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Iron said:
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ,
And seem a saint when most I play the devil.
I swear I'm gonna piss in your porridge.

Lentern

HSC
Re: If someone votes for labor at the next state election, are they retards? srsly.

Musk said:
They will be more Greens than Labor MPs in state government at the rate that mob are going

Barry 2O' Farre11
Has a sitting deputy premier ever lost their seat? Because libs allways preference greens ahead of labor they really stand to get hit from both flanks in seats like Marrickville unless Rees moves the party to the left, I think it's abit late to try and claim the centre right. Balmain will go maverick as well, Hefron will be interesting to watch, if Greens beat libs they will take it but I think the swing to the libs will probably be greater than that to the greens, and greens will not preference libs so likely labor retain. Kind of exciting, I can't remember an election when a party stood to suffer massive loss' from both flanks.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Re: If someone votes for labor at the next state election, are they retards? srsly.

I don't know much about state level elections, but on average Greens poll 12% support in NSW atm (their highest yet). Newspoll tends to underestimate Greens support, too (on election day).

For comparison, they got 9% of both the upper and lower house in 2007.

They got 4 seats on the Council (senate) and none on the Assembly (no proportional representation).

Apparently at this rate, they'll secure 6 seats on the Council next election. Judging by the 2007 results, that means that Libs will have to beat Labour by a landslide or Greens will hold the balance of power.

Unlike the ACT and Tasmania, the Assembly does not use proportional representation, so even though the Greens will get about 12% of the vote (probably more in 3 years time), they'll probably get few or no seats.

Meaning who forms government is a contest only between Libs and ALP. My bad.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Trefoil said:
Meaning who forms government is a contest only between Libs and ALP. My bad.
Astute observation.

The Greens will never be in a position to govern. Like most minority party successes, they will have some achievements in times of dissastifaction with the majors. However, like the dems, they will ultimately fade away and be surpassed by another fringe party capitalising on the prevalent issues of the day.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

incentivation said:
Astute observation.

The Greens will never be in a position to govern. Like most minority party successes, they will have some achievements in times of dissastifaction with the majors. However, like the dems, they will ultimately fade away and be surpassed by another fringe party capitalising on the prevalent issues of the day.
Keep telling yourself that. It's probably the only way you're going to hear about the demise of the Greens.

The Greens have been consistently increasing their popularity for the past 12 years now. A fad would be a fairly uniform trend in the electorate. This is not. This is demographic shift due to age (youth are more likely to vote Labour and Greens).

Your claim that there will only ever be two major parties isn't supported by elections in Europe (or New Zealand, or Canada), either, where a two party system is a rarity.

In other news, the Greens got yet another seat in the ACT election. The final result of the ACT election is Labour 7, Liberals 6, Greens 4, meaning Greens have immense control of who forms government. That sounds like a position to govern if you ask me?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

The fact remains that they havent really been tested as a government in this country. Compromise is INevitable, and once they do this their base will flock back to Labor with their tail between their legs - apologising for ever doubting them

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Iron said:
The fact remains that they havent really been tested as a government in this country. Compromise is INevitable
Quite. But if they compromise and succeed overall at governing, that only further entrenches them as a viable choice for the electorate and nation at large.

and once they do this their base will flock back to Labor with their tail between their legs - apologising for ever doubting them
This, however, is fanciful delusion on the part of Labourites and Libs. There's every chance that they will meet or exceed the electorate's expectations.

The Greens' policy aims in ACT are: improve public transport, improve education (vague, will check later), and aim for sounder environmental policies.

All 3 of these are big with the ACT electorate, the first and third especially.

Only the first is really empirically testable, so it'll be that which decides their success I imagine.

They still haven't chosen whether to side with Libs or Labour. It'll be interesting if they choose Libs, but I doubt it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

The Common-wealth Of Australia Has A Bi-cameral Parl-i-a-ment. It Is Based In Can-berra, The Nation's Capital. The Prime Minister Is Kevin Michael Rudd, Leader Of The Australian Labor Party. The Liberal And National Parties Form A Coalition And ARE Headed My Malcolm Turnbull. Some Of The Nation's States Include New South Wales, Victoria And Queensland. Australia Boasts Unique Flora And Fauna, Notably The Green And Gold Wattle And Bouncing Kangaroo. Austra-lia Is A Nation Of Some 21 Million Peoples. Exports Include Iron.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Trefoil said:
Keep telling yourself that. It's probably the only way you're going to hear about the demise of the Greens.

The Greens have been consistently increasing their popularity for the past 12 years now. A fad would be a fairly uniform trend in the electorate. This is not. This is demographic shift due to age (youth are more likely to vote Labour and Greens).

Your claim that there will only ever be two major parties isn't supported by elections in Europe (or New Zealand, or Canada), either, where a two party system is a rarity.

In other news, the Greens got yet another seat in the ACT election. The final result of the ACT election is Labour 7, Liberals 6, Greens 4, meaning Greens have immense control of who forms government. That sounds like a position to govern if you ask me?
The Democrats existed prominently for 25 years. As for Europe, proportional representation is the norm.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

incentivation said:
The Democrats existed prominently for 25 years. As for Europe, proportional representation is the norm.
But the Democrats never aspired to be anything more than a moderating force between Labour and Liberal - quite the opposite of the Greens. They also had little in the way of substantial policy or ideology which differed significantly from Labour or Liberal but would nonetheless be popular.

To assume they were similar enough to the Greens for the Greens to suffer as similar fate is ludicrous, not to mention statistically stupid (i.e. you've seen one third party crash and burn, but that says nothing about the rate at which this happens - whether one in 10, or one in two. To make predictions about the future without such knowledge is mighty arrogant.)

And yeah, Europe has proportional representation. So does the majority of Australian elections (as in, all upper houses, and a few lower houses - Tasmania and ACT). So if that was your justification for the failure of the Greens it doesn't make much sense. Especially since the Greens have already started getting seats in the lower houses that have preferential voting instead (Queensland and Victoria from memory).

Not to mention that Canada has first-post-the-post voting yet it manages to to have 4 or 5 significant parties. As, I believe, does New Zealand.

BTW, well done on quoting Chairman Mao in your sig. You can't get much lower.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Trefoil said:
BTW, well done on quoting Chairman Mao in your sig. You can't get much lower.
I share no common beliefs, however there are not many truer words spoken than that which I quoted..

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

Not to get to off topic, but his words are only 'wise' in the pre-globalisation era.

When the world is full of democracies with citizens who care more about consumption and governments who care more about trade than religion and ideology, it's hard to make a case for war.

Not to mention you have to consider the context in which he said that. This is a man who destroyed Chinese culture, consolidated power by banning knowledge and jailing doctors and intellectuals, and whose actions and policies caused the deaths of tens of millions of people in the name of government stability through communism. To him, the abolition of war literally meant the subjugation of dissent.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)