Australia World University Ranking (1 Viewer)

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
I have search this forum and apparently i could not locate a thread on this issue, so im gonna post the most comprehensive Australia University world ranking (2005).
And please take this topic objectively as possible because i dont want to see any flames or troll or any comments that imply "my uni is better than yours".

19 University of Melbourne
23 Australian National University
34 Monash University
38 University of Sydney
40 University of New South Wales
40 University of Queensland
67 Macquarie University
80 University of Adelaide
80 University of Western Australia
82 RMIT
87 University of Technology, Sydney
98 La Trobe University
101 Curtin University of Technology

Source: http://www.alnaja7.org/success/Education/times_world_ranking_2005.pdf

Last edited:

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
There's a thread on this here :)
yeah thanks for the link but the thread only main topic was between UNSW and uSyd and which one is better than which, while my thread list all the top Australian universities relative to its world ranking.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
damn all the new south wales located universities aern't up there with the others
i thought USYD and UNSW would be australia's top unis but they weren't to be according to the rankings :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
SaintMichael said:
I have search this forum and apparently i could not locate a thread on this issue, so im gonna post the most comprehensive Australia University world ranking (2005).
first, you haven't cited your source.

secondly, you haven't shown the relevance of world [w]ankings to us humble undergrads. many of these [w]ankings are based on postgraduate research and peer review projects etc.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
this sounds like the times higher ed ranks, and they've been out for ages. i think shanghai have released their own ranks and only anu and usyd make it into the top 50.

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
this sounds like the times higher ed ranks, and they've been out for ages. i think shanghai have released their own ranks and only anu and usyd make it into the top 50.
the Shanghai one is very biased toward the area of scientific research and nobel prize winner.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im not sure if its purely scientific research, but definitely research. australian unis get their funding these days by doing heaps and heaps of research and writing papers.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I think the international ranks of Australian uni's will fall over the next few years,as some uni's are diverting research funds into student facilities because of VSU.

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
I think the international ranks of Australian uni's will fall over the next few years,as some uni's are diverting research funds into student facilities because of VSU.
You made a very good point there, however, university ranking does not based solely on research credential.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the times higher ed one has a lot of weighting on citations so i guess it depends on how many quality papers you write

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't think Harvard University is the best, I would say MIT, definately. (It should be based on merit as it seems to be, and snobby universities which have no real achievements because they overfill it with international students, and students who pay money and only ever had one achievement)
eg(UAI or SATs)

Melbourne University is probably the best Australian Uni, and I would say MIT is the best in the US, and cambridge as the best uni in the UK.

Mainly because of rough competition and effective graduates. (Instead of having graduates who still don't know their jobs and need years of adjusting and refresher courses).

Last edited:

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
I don't think Harvard University is the best, I would say MIT, definately. (It should be based on merit as it seems to be, and snobby universities which have no real achievements because they overfill it with international students, and students who pay money and only ever had one achievement)
eg(UAI or SATs)

Melbourne University is probably the best Australian Uni, and I would say MIT is the best in the US, and cambridge as the best uni in the UK.

Mainly because of rough competition and effective graduates. (Instead of having graduates who still don't know their jobs and need years of adjusting and refresher courses).
Harvard was considered the best in the world because alot of their alumni ended up being CEO to some of the biggest company in the world and additionally alot of their professors had won the prestigious nobel prize.

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
eg(UAI or SATs)

I don't think MIT is the best US uni, if you compare the Harvard's Class of 2010 admission rate to MIT's (9.3% to 13%) you can see its more competitive to get into Harvard. I would say MIT would be the best for engineering but you have to remember theres the Harvard Business School which is up there with UPenn's Wharton and is ranked higher than MIT's Sloan. So all in all, the schools might be better in some areas.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Go Melb Uni! Hopefully, I can get in

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
weiwern28 said:
I don't think MIT is the best US uni, if you compare the Harvard's Class of 2010 admission rate to MIT's (9.3% to 13%) you can see its more competitive to get into Harvard. I would say MIT would be the best for engineering but you have to remember theres the Harvard Business School which is up there with UPenn's Wharton and is ranked higher than MIT's Sloan. So all in all, the schools might be better in some areas.
So if I invent a university, get eleven people to apply for it, and only accept one, then I'm better than Harvard?

juni

juni
HSC
if ANU ranks so high.. Why isn't it a popular choice for people in NSW? (I'm really curious.. besides it being in Canberra)
With most countries.. (eg US and Harvard, Japan and Tokyo uni) it seems that the most popular/hard to get into universities of their countries are ranked as the best by The Times..

matt88m

HSC
N/A
juni said:
if ANU ranks so high.. Why isn't it a popular choice for people in NSW? (I'm really curious.. besides it being in Canberra)
With most countries.. (eg US and Harvard, Japan and Tokyo uni) it seems that the most popular/hard to get into universities of their countries are ranked as the best by The Times..
Because as you said, its in Canberra. Australian students don't really have a culture unlike overseas students of travelling far to attend the best uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)