ATAR + subject scalings = confusion? (1 Viewer)

kiniki

HSC
Hey, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 92 and i'm just wondering how much effort/study people put in during yr 12 to get a (previous) UAI of >91 and with what subjects.

I'm wondering if my subjects will be solid also, I'm planning to take in year 12

3u maths
4u eng
modern
ext history
chemistry
SOR I

I'm thinking of dropping ext maths since i'm just incredibly bad at maths and I know it will bring down my marks, and i want those extra non-accountable units in the hsc to be my chemistry marks since I suck at that too

I know i'm only in year 11, but i only have a term and a bit before i hit year 12 so I want to be educated about scaling and shit
also, with regards to rankings, I'm extreeeemmely worried about this coz there's a posse of 3 people in my grade who are just incredibly smart and have a natural aptitude for study and schoolwork and they achieve the top 3 ranks in EVERY SINGLE SUBJECT that they do!!
and as luck would have it, one of the said persons will be doing the exact same subjects as me and he is ranked first in everything so far. there is always a gap between them and the rest of us and no matter how much effort I put into an assesment, I get a mark below theirs :burn:
do i have a chance of getting an ATAR >90? btw i'm ranked in the top 5 in all my subjects except for maths :(:(

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you're incredibly bad at math, don't do ext maths at all - do only advanced. If you're thinking of general maths then you might as well pick another subject.

Top 5 in every subject = ATAR > 92. It depends on your cohort (school ranking would be a good indicator) though, but you should be fine.

You can pretty much get any ATAR with any subject combination, so just aim to get a high ranking.

kiniki

HSC
thank you heaps for your insight, no way i'm doing gen maths lol i'm doing accelerated adv maths this year which isn't so bad but i'm repeating it next year so hopes I will get above 90 in it. my schools rank is 140 i think, does that matter much?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hehe, you can't be that bad at math if you're doing 2U accelerated (I did that XD). You might as well give 3U a shot and drop later if you're failing miserbly aha.

Well a 5th in a school ranked 140th (which is a pretty good rank) is much better than say a 5th in a school usually ranked 300th as it generally means that the school ranked 140th most of the time has a stronger cohort than the school ranked 300th, and your cohort does affect your HSC unless you have say a rank of 3 or above.

So in short, you've got a really good chance of getting an ATAR>92 - just keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Completing the Extension 1 course will make the content of the 2U course seem easy as pie - so your 2U mark will improve even if you don't finish Extension 1.

You've nothing to lose by keeping it, but once you drop it you can't pick it up again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)