atar prediction? very general (1 Viewer)

luke0410

HSC
beaconite doesnt really know what he/she/it is talking about

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Since this is on the topic of bridging course, Does the bridging course go quick, will there be a final exam at the end and how hard/easy will it be?

enoilgam

HSC
Plenty of people who done well in 4 unit math actually fail first year math subjects. It is more surprising than you might think.
From what I have heard this is very true. Just because you are good at 3u/4u doesnt necessarily mean you will do well or even pass uni maths. In saying that, a background in maths from the HSC does help.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I have heard this is very true. Just because you are good at 3u/4u doesnt necessarily mean you will do well or even pass uni maths. In saying that, a background in maths from the HSC does help.
I disagree.

If you're naturally talented with maths and picking things up then you'll be fine, but if you had to work really hard to do well in MX1/2 and then don't work as hard in Uni you could fail. :/

I didn't work that hard in HSC and did average for MX1 (~90) and terribly for MX2 (~80), and then I did less work in Uni and did the advanced units (1901/2 at USyd) and managed ~70 for both (and I'm shit at maths).

Just don't slack off!

Indoz

HSC
I'd say 91 - 94, assuming your school is ranked in the top 100 this year.
can i ask, how does the ranking affect the atar? so in this case, if the school ranking was around 200, what would the atar be?

enoilgam

HSC
I disagree.

If you're naturally talented with maths and picking things up then you'll be fine, but if you had to work really hard to do well in MX1/2 and then don't work as hard in Uni you could fail. :/

I didn't work that hard in HSC and did average for MX1 (~90) and terribly for MX2 (~80), and then I did less work in Uni and did the advanced units (1901/2 at USyd) and managed ~70 for both (and I'm shit at maths).

Just don't slack off!
I was just going off what I had heard - I havent done uni level maths so I dont really have any first hand knowledge.

can i ask, how does the ranking affect the atar? so in this case, if the school ranking was around 200, what would the atar be?
The ranking doesnt effect the ATAR, but the quality of a persons cohort does which is why a school ranking is needed for an estimate. If the ranking was around 200, I would say 87-91 maybe.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I was just going off what I had heard - I havent done uni level maths so I dont really have any first hand knowledge.
Your first mistake was agreeing with Solooo

But I'll forgive you

If you take me to lunch sometime. :shy:

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Your first mistake was agreeing with Solooo

But I'll forgive you

If you take me to lunch sometime. :shy:
How sweet of you.
Anyhow, you don't really need to do 2U for physics. If you look carefully, most of the math's related things here are just substituting values into the formula. There might be some re-arranging things related, but overall you can still do well without doing anything like 2U and higher.

Lucas_

HSC
95+ for sure

Fuck what everyone else says, people at my school (ranked way below 100) have way worse ranks than that and we get plenty of 90+'s

Coolwashy

HSC
Around 90ish?

"advanced english 5/20ish? "

Only that many people do advanced english in a rank 78 school?...

nifkeh

HSC
Since this is on the topic of bridging course, Does the bridging course go quick, will there be a final exam at the end and how hard/easy will it be?
If you do the the maths UNSW bridging courses there will be a final exam and you need 50% to pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)