ATAR of 56 is all I need for Bachelor of IT. Nothing to worry about? (1 Viewer)

OReilly

HSC
Hey. So, like a lot of people, I'm really struggling with study right now. I devoted 6-10 hours a day into working on my Multimedia and Extension 2 major works during the previous school holidays, and then anywhere from 2-6 hours a day during the school weeks leading up to the trial exams. I only managed to get some cram study in the night before on most of the exams, all the while feeling totally unready. Post-exams now I feel pretty burnt out and unmotivated to really crack into study for the HSC exams.
But given that I intend to do a bachelor of IT, which requires an ATAR of 60.15 (Newcastle Uni), and I receive 4 of these "regional" bonus points, I only need an ATAR of 56.15 which seems pretty dam achievable.

I did 4U English, IT- Multimedia, Information Processes & Technology and Ancient History. I ranked at:
8th in Advanced English
2nd (class of 2) in Extension 1 and 2
2nd in Multimedia
2nd in Information Processes & Technology
and
1st in Ancient.

The trials results for my year were pretty bad, but my exam ranks were around what my course rank was. I guess I'm just after some assurance from people who've done it or have been in my situation. I know the answer is GETTING prepared, and doing my best to ensure I get a high enough ATAR. But I want to stop myself from worrying too much and stressing out over all this.

P.S
I want to use this "SAM" thing to get an estimate, but its down for maintenance at the moment and I feel like opening some discussion.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Since I don't even know your school rank and cohort size, just from basic facts I would say 60.15 is damn achievable. That is way below the average ATAR which is ~68.

fakermaker

HSC
Seriously? If they let you do 4U English, you'll get way above 60s

enoilgam

HSC
If you're studying between 2-6 hours a day, you should get over 56 (provided that you arent completely lacking in the ability department, you should be able to get over 75 with that effort).

OReilly

HSC
Seriously? If they let you do 4U English, you'll get way above 60s
I've been getting around 75-80% on most assessments in Extension One, and I got 36/50 in the trials. I've been doing worse in Advanced though; around 70-80%, with my occasional downfalls (I think I got around 60% in the trials...).
I'm also pretty confident I can get 40+ in Extension 2.

I think my trials mark for advanced has kinda made me lose a lot of my confidence in English though. Which is a bit silly since I went into that exam totally unprepared.

OReilly

HSC
If you're studying between 2-6 hours a day, you should get over 56 (provided that you arent completely lacking in the ability department, you should be able to get over 75 with that effort).
and then anywhere from 2-6 hours a day during the school weeks leading up to the trial exams
I was talking about the work I was putting into my Multimedia and Extension 2 major works before the trials.

enoilgam

HSC
I was talking about the work I was putting into my Multimedia and Extension 2 major works before the trials.
Still though - most people that get below 65 put in a minimal effort (barely do classwork/homework, do a small amount of revision if any at all). Given your OP, you seem to be putting some effort into the HSC so I still think you will be fine in terms of your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)