At least 1 (1 Viewer)

keeski

HSC
Hey everyone,
I've heard a whole bunch of different things on this, but if they ask you at least 1 related text for the essay, is there any chance you will get less marks if you only do 1? I've prepared for 2 but my second one is pretty dodge and doesn't tie in as well, so should I use 1 or 2 if they ask?
Thanks!

barbernator

HSC
If you are allowed to do 1, DO 1. Many people get sucked into the trap of thinking that 2 is better in this case, but it isn't, you sacrifice depth of analysis and clarity of argument.

Airstrike

HSC
It really depends if your answering the question properly with both texts...
do 1...straight analysis of similarities and differences

keeski

HSC
Well i've done practise essays with both and I think I go more in depth, link back to the question more etc. with 1 so if I won't be marked down by just using 1 then I'll do that

Demise

HSC
It really depends if your answering the question properly with both texts...
do 1...straight analysis of similarities and differences
This. Similarities + differences AND answer the question with good links - 13/50... Go in depth and throw some context, easy 14/15 -> 15/15.

Demise

HSC
Well i've done practise essays with both and I think I go more in depth, link back to the question more etc. with 1 so if I won't be marked down by just using 1 then I'll do that
I got 11/15 and used only 1 text. Turns out I lacked linkage to the question and my arguments didn't really fit my thesis too well, I should've 'interacted' with the question better. So good linkage is a necessity for 13+.

ArguablyMitch

HSC
This. Similarities + differences AND answer the question with good links - 13/50... Go in depth and throw some context, easy 14/15 -> 15/15.
I'd be devastated if they changed things up a bit and the essay was out of 50 this year :wink:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Our grade was told that if the question says "at least ONE" to use only ONE because of the amount of depth you can go into. Remember if your analysis of your prescribed is golden, that can overshadow a dodgy related analysis which will really be to your detriment. Unless you are confident in your analysis of both related texts, just do one for safety.

Lucas_

HSC
Yeah as barbernator says, if you are physically able to use 1 text under the question do so under all conditions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)