Arts/Economics - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Hiya,

I'm looking to study a double degree in Arts/Economics in either 2011 or 2012, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this particular combination?

I'm not sure what I'd like to major in yet, but it'd probably be some mix of Financial Economics/Economics and Philosophy/International Relations/International Studies/Social Science/History/Politics or Political Economy.

Anyone on here currently studying these? I'd really like to hear your part!

Any input would be greatly appreciated =)

Last edited:

v26

HSC
I'm in the same boat Arceupins, wondering whether to take on the eco degree alone or combine it with an arts degree. be great to hear if its a worthwhile choice as well as prospects if you do the combo :)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'm in the same boat Arceupins, wondering whether to take on the eco degree alone or combine it with an arts degree. be great to hear if its a worthwhile choice as well as prospects if you do the combo :)
I've got friends doing the commerce route and arts route and they seem to enjoy them both.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
it depends, just double check with their respective handbooks, but from what I remember, if u do the combined degree, i think u can major in 1 each i.e. 1 from commerce and 1 from arts. Where as if u did straight commerce, u can have 2 majors in commerce i.e. accounting and finance.

I guess it really depends upon what you really want to do in the future....

If your ATAR is high enough, mb u can consider commerce(liberal) or Commerce(international), which gives you more choice and flexibility.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You really need to work out what you want to do after uni, before you choose your degrees and majors. If you have no idea what you want to do later in life, then just choose the majors which you think you will love. Have a passion for international Relations? Great. Do it. Enjoyed Economics in high school more than any other subject? Enrol in it.
If you change your mind part the way through either scenario, that's ok, because you get electives (or 'free options' at UNSW), which means you can afford to shop around before buy a major. And if you find that you're on the completely wrong track from where you want to be, you can just change degrees. Your choices aren't fixed and plenty of people do change - hell, that's half the point of your life whilst at uni; to find out who you are. You'll just waste some time and money in the meantime, but it's better that than get stuck in a field which you hate.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
You really need to work out what you want to do after uni, before you choose your degrees and majors. If you have no idea what you want to do later in life, then just choose the majors which you think you will love. Have a passion for international Relations? Great. Do it. Enjoyed Economics in high school more than any other subject? Enrol in it.
If you change your mind part the way through either scenario, that's ok, because you get electives (or 'free options' at UNSW), which means you can afford to shop around before buy a major. And if you find that you're on the completely wrong track from where you want to be, you can just change degrees. Your choices aren't fixed and plenty of people do change - hell, that's half the point of your life whilst at uni; to find out who you are. You'll just waste some time and money in the meantime, but it's better that than get stuck in a field which you hate.
This is basically what I'm doing. I haven't the slightest clue what I want to do after uni (careers, eugh), I'm simply choosing on an intellectual basis - what I'd like to learn about most!

That being said, I'm completely torn about what to choose. I haven't put in my UAC application yet (applying in 2nd to last round, gg lol). So far, here's what I've got:

1. UNSW - B Economics/B Arts - 424002
2. USYD - B Science/B Arts - 512094
3. UNSW - B Commerce/B Arts - 424000
4. UNSW - B Science/B Arts - 429001
5. UNSW - B Arts - 422000

Any thoughts? So undecided... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)