Art Express (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by DC10
i reckon artexpress is getting a bit cliched in the topics and subject matter.... though i really liked the charcoal drawing of the reflections of the city streets. those were excellent..
there was an artwork, digital media that had the same concept as the charcoal drawings. it was the subway one? it was exhibited close to the drawings this year.

DC10

the charcoal drawings were displayed at the art gallery of NSW....
my teacher refers them as 'drawings of the david jones windows'

it was great stuff ....

you went to national art school? i wish i did, and btw, what did you get? :)

it was excellent. feet kinda sore from too much WAY too much walking around campus but i was neat experience
i scored 88 in painting
alot of people from my school went. four of them wasted their opportunites b/c they didn't get their choosen class (there was photography, painting, drawing. digital media...etc) and b/c one of them went to queensland.

but my other friends scored above me. highest 91 also paiting. she did this kandinsky style work.

silbi

i loved the animations they had...
especially the famer one and the one about technology...
is anyone doing animation ??.... just wondering...

i was also wondering.. has anyone actually started on their major work??

i guess i have started...well mainly just the planning stage~~ ive experiemented with a few works on canvas... but im still unsure on what my final body of work will look like...

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Artexpress never inspires me:p When I go I get the impression that the works selected are more for hmm..how to word this....politcal-esque reasons moreso than for message and artisitic flair and talent. It's like...(imo) 'oh look..they're from a povo school...let's shove their work into the fray to show how productive our povo communites can be'. wow...:rolleyes: And no I'm not bitter:p I think I'm just hard to impress.

And what's with every person who sneaks hints of Frida Kahlo into their works getting into Artexpress? Gees....she's not THAT great! :chainsaw:

*tasha*

Art Express 2003

It was kind of typical really.

Last year when we went to Art Express, the entire class just looked in amazement at all the artworks that had been created by students our age. We were really mesmorised - there was colour and there was meaning and it was excellent.
And then we go this year, the year we need a bit of inspiration and there was hardly anything that was able to stay in our minds and give us more ideas which we REALLY need at this stage.

There was one art piece that everyone recognised which was the charcoal drawing which I saw someone else write about - I thought that was excellent. Somebody has great talent to create that!!

It's not too long before the HSC and our submission of body of works and now everyone is seriously thinking about what to do. The class is suddenly realising that creation of art doesn't come to easy when the ideas are up to us!!

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by BigngryWoman
It's like...(imo) 'oh look..they're from a povo school...let's shove their work into the fray to show how productive our povo communites can be'.
what, so you need rich parents to be good at art?

*tasha*

I'm hoping that there has been no suggestion that you need to be rich or 'well off' in order to create good art...

That's absolutely absurd and ridiculous to say the least!

DC10

some of my friends said that even though the skills and techniques were there (i mean the charcoal drawing), and it does take a lot of skills to get it look as good as that artist has, it was a not conceptionally dense really....

tash

lalalala
HSC
i did not like artexpress very much at all cos it was all the same sorts of things, all the cultural, search 4 who u r, etc, it was a bit repetitive. i didn't even really like the actaul works, as i'm a big fan of realism and making your works look good and realy cool so i was rather disappointed in that, and all the photography and digital stuf- not my type of thing! i agree it was rather depressing. i don't c y people have 2 do that. i aimed 2 make mine nice and happy- i'm depicting piano music- because i think that saying something about how screwed the world is is really boring and so continuously said we don't need 2 hear it anymore.

DC10

yes i agree as a matter of fact :(
when did art became 'think of past HSC candidates' themes or doing your own version of it? (e.g. culture)'

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I kinda have to agree.
I've been to art express since yr 7 and so far no artworks have inspired me. No offence to previous art students but that's how I viewed the work.
I found them too cliched or too obvious or they simply didn't make sense or there was no real point of doing it.
And this yrs Frida Kahlo "inspired work"...I don't know why she/he got in b/c it's simply a complete copy of Kahlo's work.......I guess he/she had a brilliant reason/concept for it....

I'm gonna stop now before I get yelled at.....

summing up...everyone's work is excellent, I just don't get inspired by it.....

DC10

Originally posted by DC10
yes i agree as a matter of fact :(
when did art became 'think of past HSC candidates' themes or doing your own version of it? (e.g. culture)'
The girl that done the Frida Kahlo 'inspired' work is actually the daughter of a former art teacher from my school, who left last year to take up a 'high' position in a selective high school :) she was a pretty good teacher....

tash

lalalala
HSC
yeah i don't understand why teachers encourage us 2 have influential artists so we copy their ideas or techniques? shouldn't it b about finding our own stuff? i personally think influential artists r damn annoying and we were told 2 have a tleast 3 4 our last assessment.
i agree that some of the artexpres works were 2 simple/random etc. like that 1 with the scrabble board or something?i did not get that at all. if u're going 2 do something like that then u could at least attempt 2 explain it, since the concept is apparently such a big thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)