Arranged Marriages (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
That is why I agree with Navjeet's explanation. The stereotype, unfortunately, is the image of a young girl being forced to marry some stranger dude who she has never seen in her life. Or vice versa.

Winston

HSC
It's all about people's backgrounds i think... but sometimes you can see where parents come at... i guess in terms of chicks obviously, the parents want the best for their daughter, to marry someone wealthy etc, lets face it... i'm not saying all girls go for the money, but most do, and it's reality, for most, it's like most marriage breakups also come from the financial matter, well i myself have witnissed many of such cases, so that's why even for myself, i wouldn't get married to anyone no matter how much i like them until i'm wealthy enough.

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
if my parents ever considered putting me into an arranged marriage, which I highly doubt seeing they're cool when it comes to the male sex, I would elope with a donkey. Sure, it's some people's thing but it's not mine.

Uncouth

HSC
N/A
I don't think the process leading up to an arranged marriage is that bad at all.

You get an instant date, and if all works out, then that's fantastic. But if it doesn't, you don't have to continue the relationship if you don't want to.

Forced marriages, however, I strongly disapprove of.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Arranged marriages aren't thaaaat bad. (There weren't as many divorces as there are now.)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Tenax Propositi said:
There is a huge misconception about the modern meaning of 'arranged marriages' in indian culture.

Dating is what the modern concept of 'arranged marriages' means. People are set up on dates and whereas in normal dates you don't overtly ask about the potential partner's occupation and family history, etc. in this form of dating you do. This is information for the family to know out of interest.

Then, as in normal dating situations, if the two people like eachother, they continue to date eachother and whatever progresses from there is entirely their choice, be it engagement, marriage or simply just continuing dating.

Hence, if the two people love eachother, then they are thereforing marrying out of love, as in any other marriage. However, they define their relationship as 'arranged' simply because they were SET UP (as in the dating process).

I actually had to explain this to my studies of religion teacher when the issue of arranged marriages came up in class and his notion of it was completely outdated. Everyone still perceives arranged marriages in the primitive sense and that's just not the case anymore!
interesting, yes we do not know that

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yeah they arent that bad if you dont mind living with a limbless specimen that whinges every second or so

learn to love them!

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
this whole topic wouldn't have anything to do with world domination would it?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Persephone87 said:
lol...wouldn't you like to know...nah my children are already bequeathed...:D
and you want the blessings of the board?

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Loz#1 said:
if my parents ever considered putting me into an arranged marriage, which I highly doubt seeing they're cool when it comes to the male sex, I would elope with a donkey. Sure, it's some people's thing but it's not mine.
did you just read the two definitions of an arranged marriage? it's being set up on a date.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
virgin^sexy said:
did you just read the two definitions of an arranged marriage? it's being set up on a date.
it's arranged. i'm sorry if i like to think for myself.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I would agree with Tenax and Navjeet...I guess when your parents choose someone for you, its automatically said as arranged, but in truth there is choice to accept or not. In some instances, parents would know whats best (although I'll never admit it ot my parents :p ) I would define an forced/arranged marriage when two people are thrown at each other to get married without learning about each other or getting to know each other. I mean if you get a chance to know a person...it would slowly change into friendship, like and then love if you get on well. If friendship is not possible as a relationship to start off with, then there's no point in continuing. It does happen and it is possible, from personal experience. ;)

2 newlyweds are sitting together in their room, they're both understandably very nervous and shy. they dont even know how to break the ice let alone start doing the do.. until at last the groom, her prince charming leans over and asks... 'so whats your name?'

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
virgin^sexy said:
so you would never consider going out with a guy that, say, a friend thought would be perfect for you?
that's not arranged. arranged is when someone says they've made a date for you whether it be with or withour your consent.

I'll admit, I haven't read the enite thread, I'm just stating my opinion on the whole "arranged" theory.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Loz#1 said:
that's not arranged. arranged is when someone says they've made a date for you whether it be with or withour your consent.

I'll admit, I haven't read the enite thread, I'm just stating my opinion on the whole "arranged" theory.
lol, that's why i was asking. because 2 or 3 people have actually said that the term 'arranged' refers to people being introduced to one another (albeit with the notion of marriage in mind), not being forced into a marriage they don't want.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
you've gotten me so confused, i've brain dead today. basically, i'm not one to go for anything arranged.

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
Loz#1 said:
you've gotten me so confused, i've brain dead today. basically, i'm not one to go for anything arranged.
so if ur best friend says "hey, I know this really hot guy, who's really sweet and knows what to say to make you feel great all the time, I think you should meet him...you guys would get along well"....you'd reject the offer to meet him? it is after all 'aranged'.......coz that's all arranged marriages are really.....family and friends say "I know of a guy/girl from a very good family, his/her occupation is such and such, and he/she has a lovely personality, would you like to meet him/her?" and then ppl meet.....it's sort of like a dating service in a way, but the people introducing you to these people are people you know and trust. it's no big deal.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I think the view on arranged marriages is depending on what each person defines it to be. I would agree Navjeet, that that is an arranged marriage but it wouldn't be how I see it. Arranged marriage gives the indication that there is no choice for either person, which you see as someone just setting it up for you. It just depends what each person believes arranged marriage to be in their mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)