Arranged Marriages (1 Viewer)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
They have to be better than always worrying whether you like them for the outside or the inside...

...too much choice can be bad.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i wouldn't mind an arranged marriage if i could have mistresses

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
But I think they take into account financial status and future and make sure that they know the guy....plus, divorce is easily accessible these days...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i would kill my family if they ever wanted to arrange a marriage for me, i mean, come on, we're not living in india in 1938!

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I think it happens here in Australia too though...and I am sure it certainly happens in America...

...but my point is that I think its almost better to have a partner in that relationship rather than searching for 20yrs like most people do nowadays...

nerd2die4

HSC
My parents were arranged. they have been married for 17 years now. but i would hate i if that happened to me.

nerd2die4

HSC
ultimatley they were happy with the choice. but my mum was only 16, so in the begining she wasn't too thrilled about being married off to some guy that her parents have picked for her.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I can't believe how people can think it's better to have an arranged marriage. I mean, I'd much rather not marry at all than be forced to marry someone against my will. Goes against the whole concept of marrying for love.

nerd2die4

HSC
Yeah i dont think its better. but its definetley easier then going out with a whole bunch of dickheads before you meet 'the one'.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
i wouldnt mind being set up on dates
which is kinda a step down from an arraged marriage
i reckon dating would be fun

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
completely against it, people should be able to choose who they love and who they want to spend their life with

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
but some people don't have that choice and its taken away from them from early on. Girls I went to primary school are now married and are about to have a kid, when you think of it in that way, its scary.

I wouldn't want to do it because I hate being told what to do, but if I had no option because it was my culture, then I wouldn't really kick up a fuss.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
mm i dunno.. if it was my culture, like steph@nie said, i wouldnt kick up a stink because i knew that it had to happen, and id hope to hell my parents found a good guy... but if it happened today... my god would i kick up a stink

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i wouldn't like it but if people do it for their culture i understand

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
in my community, arranged marriages are common, however the distinction between an arranged marriage and a forced marriage needs to be made. With arranged marriages, people are introduced to each other, they go out a couple of times, families meet, and if both ppl agree, then they get married, but there is no pressure to marry someone if u meet them. My parents had an arranged marriage, and have been married for 26 years last weekend actually. Most of my cousins on dad's side are married, and it's interesting to see that those who have had arranged marriages are far more happier than those who have had love marriages. In fact, most of my cousins love marriages are broken up or are in the process of breaking up, whilst the arranged marriages are still going strong. (i'm not talking about four or five cousins here....I'm talking at least 40!)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I'm a bit lazy....I like someone overseas...but thats a bit tough. Sometimes I just wish everything was planned out. Its obvious that there has beeen some successful arranged marriages...

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
porge said:
i wouldnt mind being set up on dates
which is kinda a step down from an arraged marriage
i reckon dating would be fun
There is a huge misconception about the modern meaning of 'arranged marriages' in indian culture.

Dating is what the modern concept of 'arranged marriages' means. People are set up on dates and whereas in normal dates you don't overtly ask about the potential partner's occupation and family history, etc. in this form of dating you do. This is information for the family to know out of interest.

Then, as in normal dating situations, if the two people like eachother, they continue to date eachother and whatever progresses from there is entirely their choice, be it engagement, marriage or simply just continuing dating.

Hence, if the two people love eachother, then they are thereforing marrying out of love, as in any other marriage. However, they define their relationship as 'arranged' simply because they were SET UP (as in the dating process).

I actually had to explain this to my studies of religion teacher when the issue of arranged marriages came up in class and his notion of it was completely outdated. Everyone still perceives arranged marriages in the primitive sense and that's just not the case anymore!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)