Are you proud of going to your school? (1 Viewer)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
No, I should have stuck it out with my previous school, where I felt a greater sense of pride.
think I told you to stay, in your thread you made ages ago

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Tbh there is no denying people are sometimes judgemental about what school you go to, I copped a lot of shit for opting to go to a less "academically prestigious" school than a selective school I got an offer for, but this is more a testament to other peoples' lame attitude rather than yours. Judging the character or potential of a person based on what school they went to is a pretty flawed, narrow and unrealistic thing to do. in that case, you shouldn't feel embarrassed for going to a certain school, people should be embarrassed for judging someone on something like that.

Education isn't something that everyone has an opportunity to receive. If you are getting decent educational opportunities and most of all, growing as a person in such an environment, you should feel grateful for it and not embarrassed

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
It's quite funny when people judge you on school rank.

brb people at my school are on crazy money straight out of school for being really good at sport or singing.

brb top 10 selective kid in uni on a 50k debt.

brb lols

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Despite going to arguably the most controversial and stigmatized high school in NSW, I am proud of it. I've had some of the best teachers, and while some of them weren't as good as they should be in class, they taught me many life lessons which I'll probably find very useful for the future. In saying that though, the humanities department in school has some of the most loyal and hard working teachers I've met. My school is ranked in low 400s, and despite it being so heavily stigmatized, and them being easily able to get a job at a much more prestigious school, they remain there and continue working hard.

I've had the privilege of having an Adv. English teacher who is a HSC marker, who also taught English Ext1, and another HSC marker for English ext2.
Also had a HSC marker for both Modern (senior marker) and a new HSC marker for ancient history.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
All my teachers are HSC markers.
Though, academically I am not proud of of going to my school.
Uniform-wise, I am not proud of going to my school.

People-wise, I feel lucky to be with such a great cohort, opinions are respected, no teen girl drama, no scandals, no bitching. Everyone is friends.

Makematics

HSC
Well even then, they shouldnt be beneath you because of a decision to not apply themselves to their education.
Cough, cough it's not always a decision of not applying themselves to their education. People can still be incredibly applied to education. RE: Point above. There may be reasons they can't go to selective or their parents fork out lots of money on one of the upper privates. (which oh wait, are also in Sydney). But people can still apply themselves and do really well like 99+.
Lel wot, read it again, i dont think you understood what i meant...I meant to say that you shouldnt think of them any differently because of a decision to not apply themselves to their education. If youre saying that there arent people out there who intentionally chooses not to apply themselves, then you are mistaken.

I never said that all people from low ranked schools didn't apply themselves. I know plenty of people that have received a much better education, social skills and results than me from low ranked schools.

Raolan

HSC
People who judge someone because of what school they went/go to are just really superficial and quick to be judgemental. Better work on changing that, otherwise you're going to finally get out of uni, get an interview for your ideal job and then piss off your prospective employer because of your attitude.

hamsterjames

HSC
I used to feel slightly embarrassed about my school. Nobody else at my school really did/does, but they didn't really see it as a big difference. My main issue was that many people from higher ranked/more prestigious schools felt confident that their school was better, just because of how people in the public viewed it. Coming from quite a low ranked, comprehensive public school from a low socio-economic area, it did make me feel embarrassed. However, I realised that a school is a school. It doesn't matter how it's viewed, or the results students at that school get. It's all about the education you receive and the friends you make. I can be proud of my school knowing that I was well educated (as far as high school goes) and I made great friends along the way. That's all that should really matter; it's not about prestige.

Makematics

HSC
I used to feel slightly embarrassed about my school. Nobody else at my school really did/does, but they didn't really see it as a big difference. My main issue was that many people from higher ranked/more prestigious schools felt confident that their school was better, just because of how people in the public viewed it. Coming from quite a low ranked, comprehensive public school from a low socio-economic area, it did make me feel embarrassed. However, I realised that a school is a school. It doesn't matter how it's viewed, or the results students at that school get. It's all about the education you receive and the friends you make. I can be proud of my school knowing that I was well educated (as far as high school goes) and I made great friends along the way. That's all that should really matter; it's not about prestige.
So true

ClassOf2013

HSC
I'm pretty proud of going to my school, it's very well regarded in my area, despite the stereotypes of Ja'mie types and spoiled rich kids (which, to some extent, are true...) most people think pretty highly of it, it's apparantly regarded as one of the top private schools in Western Sydney.

Talia95

HSC
N/A
Yeah I'm proud of my school. It's small and there are the bludgers who do nothing, but there are also people who are very good at what they do - whether it's horse riding, debating, judging cattle or getting great marks. And some of the teachers are awesome, they're really experienced. Personally I like it being small, and I'm not embarrased about having only thirty kids in my year. It just means you get more help from teachers and get to know everyone.

fionarykim

HSC
Hmm
i go to a really average academic school, as you know JT!
and i'll admit, theres so much shitty things about my school

but nontheless i loved the 6 years, and i esp loved the students there, even the teachers, some who dont even know their shit
and i dont ever feel subconscious about wearing our uniform and jersy, (maybe thats because our uniform is actually quite goodlooking), but besides that i think i do have a sense of pride for mine. as much as i keep stressing that it will drag me down and bla bla, i get slightly annoyed when ppl say shit about it.

i think u need to look besides the fact of status and rank and everhting
if uve enjoyed the 6 years, thats all that matters :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)