Are you proud of going to your school? (1 Viewer)

Raolan

HSC
How sad and shallow would you have to be to go so far as be ashamed of your school? All well and good not to be proud, but it's a school. As long as you came out with social skills it did its job. The actual education part of it is supplementary in reality as most of what you learn in school will become irrelevant either because you never enter that field or because that knowledge is superceded by higher level knowledge (I HURD U CAENT SQURRUT A NIGATUV) and knowledge is something you can gain easily enough without other people. Social skills not so much.

That said I've always hated my school's uniform. Juniors wear piss yellow, dehydrated for sport days and full of fluids for other days. Seniors wear baby poop brown (also known as faun)

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
My primary school had a lot of talented people who ended up going to high ranking selective schools and I got a fair bit of shit for choosing my local school over a selective school. I really liked my local HS and I wanted to go with my mates - that turned out to be a great decision because many of my PS mates are still friends with me today almost 10 years later (besides, it's the principle).

I also get a fair bit of shit for going to ND over other more prestige unis (one person I knew from HS said I was "wasting my life"). But I'm happy there and that's the main thing - a school has to be right for you, not society or others (lame, but very true).
Ultimately it is what institution caters for your needs most, rather then it solely dependent the reputation. I'll probably end up going uts because i feel it meets all my needs in a uni (education wise, transport, socially, location) despite probably being able to get into a better regarded course.

I know someone who got a 96 atar and ended up doing a diploma at a college (srs). Why? Because she had a certain career dream that she wanted to follow, and wasn't influenced by peers who said she was crazy to not going to uni.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
School is school. You go there to learn, make friends, gain life long experiences and gain an education. Who cares if your school doesn't have a good rep, it serves its purpose and you gain many skills there. #schoolPride

People did bag our school out (especially at the usyd physics thing for HSC students.... ruse students gave us "the look"), but I had a sense of pride and community to the school. So yeah, I was proud.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking back at this thread has probably made me see at how I subconsciously judge people based on their academics and not on their actual person and for who they are. Which is probably a reason why my mum didn't want me to be selective (although she did apply me for it :/).

More philosophical musings to come
#Hamlet

integral95

HSC
Ahhh I initially had this feeling, all I cared was getting doing well.

I wasn't very social back then.
When I started high school at some random private school, I met many people with various academic skills (some were talented, others are just average) and I got along with them really well regardless.
I started to become humble and more social (I used to be an arrogant prick, I felt ashamed of that).
I realised that being able to skillfully communicate with a different range of people is more important that like getting top marks in exams.
it's not just about academic success that will earn respects from others, but also your attitudes and characteristics.

I've heard people from SBHS that come out acting all cocky and stuff, and yeah you can guess it didn't turn out really well.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Plans of going to nsb probs wouldn't have been the best idea, now i think about it. The stress and competition would have gotten to me.

Makematics

HSC
Defs proud of my school and grade, but i never instantly judge others based on what school they go to.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Defs proud of my school and grade, but i never instantly judge others based on what school they go to.
I wouldn't judge another person's personality, no, but I'd be guilty of making a quick judgement of their (relative) intellectual ability.

Makematics

HSC
I really enjoy going to a lower ranked school. I get to be independent because teacher's trust me to do my own work, not to mention there's a lot of life skills you can't learn in an academic hothouse. Empathy/compassion and patience are just a few you really learn to value when you're surrounded by kids who might not be as academic as you are, especially when you're one of maybe 10 or so who are really passionate about their studies.

In a nutshell, i actually think the kids from lower ranked schools who put in the hard yards and get the results would generally be more capable in the real word straight out of high school and more likely to blossom in their chosen areas at uni
Oh right, so people in "academic hothouses" only care about getting good ATARs for 6 years of their lives and are unable to learn the same skills as you? Right... However i do see your point, and it has some merit.

Makematics

HSC
I wouldn't judge another person's personality, no, but I'd be guilty of making a quick judgement of their (relative) intellectual ability.
Well even then, they shouldnt be beneath you because of a decision to not apply themselves to their education.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Well even then, they shouldnt be beneath you because of a decision to not apply themselves to their education.
Or above me for that matter if they do choose to apply themselves.

I'm not saying it's a good thing if I do, it was more like I'm aware that I do this and it is, to some degree, a rather large weakness that I do judge in this fashion... like srsly I'm asking people what their school rank is minutes after knowing them.... :/ tbh that's just plain rude
(self-reflexivity here)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty dodge thing to do mate, generalizing. Also considering selectives don't really exist outside Sydney...

Cough, cough it's not always a decision of not applying themselves to their education. People can still be incredibly applied to education. RE: Point above. There may be reasons they can't go to selective or their parents fork out lots of money on one of the upper privates. (which oh wait, are also in Sydney). But people can still apply themselves and do really well like 99+.

Or above me for that matter if they do choose to apply themselves.

I'm not saying it's a good thing if I do, it was more like I'm aware that I do this and it is, to some degree, a rather large weakness that I do judge in this fashion... like srsly I'm asking people what their school rank is minutes after knowing them.... :/ tbh that's just plain rude
(self-reflexivity here)
Wow, institutionalized. There's so much, much more to education than that kind of thing.

I know schools with 'terrible' rankings that do absolutely amazing work with disabled students, allowing them to perform well beyond any expectation of them. Schools with 'terrible' rankings with great community spirit, rallying to raise 10s of thousands for community charities. The list goes on, stop being superficial, I certainly hope you won't look down at other university's because of their 'ranking'.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I really enjoy going to a lower ranked school. I get to be independent because teacher's trust me to do my own work, not to mention there's a lot of life skills you can't learn in an academic hothouse. Empathy/compassion and patience are just a few you really learn to value when you're surrounded by kids who might not be as academic as you are, especially when you're one of maybe 10 or so who are really passionate about their studies.

In a nutshell, i actually think the kids from lower ranked schools who put in the hard yards and get the results would generally be more capable in the real word straight out of high school and more likely to blossom in their chosen areas at uni
I go to a selective school and I think the school environment still allows people the flourish in their own ways. There are lots of independent and student run projects that require people to be assertive and resourceful. There's also a large emphasis on participating within school life...so people do learn important social skills and life skills in general.

People also work really hard to achieve their goals, whether it be academic, creative, collaborative, etc. but I think generally, if people work hard, regardless of what school they come from, will have better chances of being successful within their chosen career field.

I don't think a sweeping generalisation should be made that all we do is focus on academics, because there is more to life than that (even if some people adopt the belief there isn't)

But hey that's just my two cents :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Personally I'm proud of my school (being vice-captain and all i guess i have to be) but I don't think that you should be judge by the circumstances you are in.

At the end of the day you could get a 99.95 but be ineffective at communicating and networking with others. Nom sayin'

Off-topic:
My teacher told me to drop a subject indirectly by saying my personality didn't suit it (I talk in class and barely studied for it last year lol).

Verify

HSC
No, I should have stuck it out with my previous school, where I felt a greater sense of pride.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)