Are teachers meant to make MX1 so hard? (1 Viewer)

ratcher0071

HSC
Aplus said:
Well I'm only applying this to Mathematics, not every other subject. I suppose I should have made that clear. Well, my point is, in Mathematics, teachers shouldn't really have to teach you the content like in the junior years. Rather they should be providing you with the critical problem solving skills which would assist you to become better thinkers.
Okay, i see, it's good to be ahead of the class :D

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
i dont remember the statistics but every year, (correct me if im wrong) about 30%+ of people who sit for math ext get a HSC mark of 90+ (of course the raw mark would be considerably lower than this)

maths ext is not meant to be a easy course but if you struggle in year 11 i dont think its for you.

To be good at maths i believe you either have to have one (or both) of these two characteristics :
have a natural talent for maths or/and have the passion for maths.

chltmddus112

HSC
Seriously, why do u guys care about marks... I mean, HSC is all about your RANK not your MARKS.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Shnurs said:
Seriously only the insanely smart maths kids can get over 80% in three unit and everyone else either fails or just passes, including me.

Is everyone else getting this in MX1 or is it just my school.

I go to a selective high school, btw.
Depends on how much of a shit you give about it.

chltmddus112 said:
Seriously, why do u guys care about marks... I mean, HSC is all about your RANK not your MARKS.
I'm pretty sure they give you your High School Certificate results as marks not ranks.

bored of sc

HSC
Aplus said:
Yeah, once you're in Year 11 and 12, teachers really shouldn't actually be teaching you anything. You should be independently doing your research/learning/discovering. The teacher should only be there as a guide and give you tips and strategies.
I'd have to strongly disagree.

I need teacher explanation to understand concepts.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to girraween high and like our extn test was like daym easy, possible to get 100% most top students getting in the high 90's...and for extn i havent gotten a mark below 80 this year. Post some of these really hard questions that your getting. Are yous having problems with some of the yr 12 topics or something that your doing in advanced?

As for the independant study, I suppose i use tutoring in that sense and then just act like a parrot and repeat everything in class to test my knowledge when we go through the topics. I agree with the whole tips things because really maths is a subject that if you have questions with insane working out, you can pretty much grasp any concept. Writing notes, not copying them from the textbook, explaining how to do particular questions may help. Helped me especially with t method for trig where I was totally lost at first and then ended up doing extn questions from cambridge with ease!

Last edited:

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
lyounamu said:
I agree with Aplus. I go to school purely to make friends and interact with them. But few tips from teachers wouldn't hurt, would it? :D
So true, my maths teacher hasn't taught me anything.

chltmddus112

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Depends on how much of a shit you give about it.

I'm pretty sure they give you your High School Certificate results as marks not ranks.
Yeh, but UAI marks are scaled by ur RANKS.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dr. Zoidberg said:
To look at girls?
What if you go to All Boy's school?

I am certinaly not going there to look at boys!!! lol

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
I'd have to strongly disagree.

I need teacher explanation to understand concepts.
Yeah, well if you are really confused, then you should use them as a guide. After all they are there to help you. I just think that it should not be a spoon feeding exercise like in the junior years where you come to class and the teacher has the lesson all prepared and ready for you to feast on.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aplus said:
Yeah, well if you are really confused, then you should use them as a guide. After all they are there to help you. I just think that it should not be a spoon feeding exercise like in the junior years where you come to class and the teacher has the lesson all prepared and ready for you to feast on.
Isn't that what the teacher is supposed to do?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Isn't that what the teacher is supposed to do?
The teacher is supposed to be working with you. Not for you.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Aplus said:
You should really think about other schools however.

My girlfriend's school apparently has teachers like the one you mentioned, but they're in the 600's because the students there have no motivation/competitive aura, hence no study is done.

Since you go to a Selective school, teachers don't have that much of an effect as you're all relatively well-educated (above average) students who have their own drive/motivation to study, as opposed to "drop-kick" schools where students have no motivation.

Teachers have less of an effect as the students get smarter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)