Are teachers allowed to force students to drop out of acceleration? (1 Viewer)

Wonder

HSC
I've been accelerated since Year 8, but this is nothing to do with me. Like I said, I was just wondering - e.g. if someone gets bad marks, can a teacher force them to drop out?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Well if they're going that bad accelerated that the teachers recommends they go back down, wouldn't it be more beneficial to do so? In the end does it really matter if you're accelerated or not, just adopt the method which will ensure you achieve the highest marks. This is in general, not specifically to the OP.

Wonder

HSC
I suppose that's true, though I think some people in my class would want to stay no matter how badly they did, because of parents and such. xD Only reason I'm asking is that my teacher puts a lot of pressure on my class to do well and she said that she has talked to previous students who ended up dropping out. So I was curious whether she could actually force them to.

Genero

HSC
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to be accelerated either way? If you're going bad, at least you get a practice run and can do it again the following year. If you don't like the subject, then you can get it over and done with quicker. If you like the subject, then good for you. I don't think there's any disadvantages to the person to stay per say, it's more so that they are recommended to drop to help the ranks of the other students that the person may affect.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
If you are in a government school, no, you can't be forced out.

If you attend a private school, you play by their rules.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
I think teachers can pressure students, but I don't think they're supposed to force them out. Generally they will only put that pressure on a student if they really think that they're not cut out for the subject (of it they think the student won't work hard enough). But most people can get through the hardest subjects with help. You'd be surprised how many people at selective or top-end private schools have hours of external help (i.e. tutoring) to support them in getting through their final two years. I work as a private tutor and at a tutoring centre, and I'm surprised every year by the number of people we get coming in from these places. Anyone can succeed if they have the appropriate help. Unfortunately, teachers just don't seem to have the time and energy (or in some cases the creativity, will or innovation) to help all their students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)