Are relationships doomed to begin with ? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Having to drive my brother around to a few parties lately, and the fact that the party is usually at my friends house (all my brothers friends are younger brothers of my friends), i seem to hear about all these talks about younger generations and how they already have a contigency plan in case the current one doesnt work out.

That got me thinking, are the majority of relationships doomed to begin with at our age because we just dont see a long term future for it? And if we do, then why bother in the first place, people are just going to get hurt, and things will change, and the energy that could have been used.

Your thoughts?

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
i think maturity and how people define relationships come into play
if someone is immature and thinks a relationship is something where u grope a chick, then yes, it is doomed
if someone is mature and thinks a relationship is something where u grope a chick, well, if ur mature u shouldnt think that
if ur mature and think a relationship is about mutual trust, loving someone and having a companion through life, then more then likely it will last

Fairytale

HSC
N/A
SuGa BunI =D said:
you cant predict the future, therefore, just go with the flow ^^,
Yeah, that' s true. Your high school sweetheart might turn out to be your future husband or wife.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
Fairytale said:
Yeah, that' s true. Your high school sweetheart might turn out to be your future husband or wife.
kekek in my case, daddy high school sweetheart turn out to be daughter's name.. yes, i was name after sum pretty lady daddy used to lurrr =D

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i dont think they are doomed at all.

at this age, relationships are more or less bound to end, ie: wont make it to the marriage stage, hence breaking up is inevitable. i think it's logical and rational to be in a relationship for the experience, so if it does come to an end, u can at least enjoy and look back on the experience, and sometimes the experience is worth much more than the outcome.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hehe doesnt that suggest that they are doomed then ? since we are so resigned to them ending?

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
not relali... my friend has being dating with her bf for 4 yrs now. He was her first. And now they are gonna get married cuz he is financially stable and she is getting there. btw both of them are 22.

i dont get why everyone is so cynical, we are not even 20 yet, u should be makign these comments when ur 40 and dateless not now. it's way too earli to assume anithing. just cuz u havent met the right one in first yr uni, doesnt mean u cant meet someone in second yr, third yr, workplace, social places, parties etc. the possibilities are endless. cynicism and pessimism are not gonna get u futher.

so for the time being, instead of waiting for someone, enjoy single life to the max and u will find miss right before u realise it. :p

ps: doomed is such a gloomy word. yes, a lot of relationships do end at our age, but it doesnt mean all realtionships are destined to take the same path. it's a matter of whether u guys are compatible, and if so, whether u believe in ur compatibility.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha im not cynical, this is just helping me with some of my philosophy stuff :)

Fairytale

HSC
N/A
My mum says that I shouldn't date until I finish uni (I'm still in high school) because she thinks all relationships in high school and uni aren't serious and are doomed to end. She thinks that because she thinks that people in high school and uni are not financially stable and are immature.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Financially stable at uni, you have to be, unless you leech off your rents :)

ive learnt how to manage my money and budget what little i get...usually involves me not eating, but meh.....personally i think relationships can exist and that its great to have the experience, but sometimes i get disillusioned with what value they hold nowdays especially with the youngens

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that, ill have a look at it, love reading stuff like this hehe

Generator

HSC
N/A
I agree with TIB... 'Doomed' is such a gloomy word... Besides, how many relationships are meant to last?

You don't have to go out with a certain person on the understnading that you may marry/have children one day. Nothing is wrong with brief flings, and I cannot see how you can label such relationships as being doomed when long term intimacy wasn't even a consideration.

funniboi

HSC
there's an end to everything =D

enjoy it while it lasts.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ok, perhaps i didnt word it right, so here it goes :)

For this case i mean doomed, as it was finished to begin with.

If two people engage in a relationship, is there automatically a suggestion within their mind of the aftereffects of breaking up. Do we go into relationships with a defeatist attitude acknowledging that ultimately, we will be apart after a short stint?

Furthermore, are we then placing an almost consumerable characteristic towards the relationship nowdays, where the "try before you buy" concept rings true? If this is true, then why is the western world still so rife with divorce rates and break-ups?

Has the relationship taken a backseat to convenience? That we we should rename relationships to partnerships of convenience at the time?

I hope that explains my perspective a tad better :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
The concept of try before you buy has always been a common practice...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
But has it grown to an extent where we will never actually "buy" ?

/edit/

im not sure, but hasnt the whole dating thing just recently arisen ? i dont remember too clearly that it was prevalent within societies before the turn of the 20th century.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Is there any real need to buy?
Or better yet, is there any real need to be off fighting for a look into the specials section when a chance wander down the fresh produce aisle may yield the buy of your life? In other words, isn't it better to be casual and not suffer from the worry that an active search for 'the one' may bring?

I sound like an idiot, don't I?

Re. my last post and Asylum's edit: By always I meant in a relatively recent western sense (just covering my arse).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)