are graphing calculators allowed in HSC? (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
anyone use a graphing calculator?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think although you may be able to get away with using a graphing calculator in class time, I don't think graphing calculators are allowed in HSC exams, and using graphing calculators does not really help you develop your mathematical skills in any way. You can attain more detail by visiting this link: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/calculators.html#features , under the features not permitted section, one dot point stated
•capable of storing, manipulating or graphing functions entered in symbolic form (this includes calculators with a graphic display capacity),
so from my interpretation, graphing calculators are not allowed in official exams.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
so what about internals or school assessments?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so what about internals or school assessments?
You should check with your teachers before your assessment. For my school, graphing calculators was forbidden in both internal assessments and in the actual HSC exams.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
can you take calculator watches into exams?

gwilymprice

HSC
can you take calculator watches into exams?
No they must be taken off as with all watches. The only time my calculator was checked was during my engineering exam because it was such a small class it was easy to check.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
All exams which allow calculators (besides general) use the same list of allowed calculators as 2u maths which does not include any programmable or graphics calculators.

enoilgam

HSC
All exams which allow calculators (besides general) use the same list of allowed calculators as 2u maths which does not include any programmable or graphics calculators.
This pretty much - my understanding is that they are only allowed for General.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
no I don't think so, it's an unfair advantage imo.

also, its better to use a more "basic" calculator, because it encourages you to work faster under the time constraints and that's entirely more beneficial than relying on a more advanced calculator (what if it dies halfway through your exam? goodbye lol)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
how many calculators did everyone bring to maths exam, im planning on 3, just in case.

tashe

HSC
N/A
so what about general yr 12 exams ?
If you ask for help, PLEASE read it. We spend our time typing these out, or in strawberrye's case, she spent her time looking for the link.
This is the link she gave. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/calculators.html#features It can take you to: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/calculators-general-maths.html which answers most of your questions.

In General Mathematics 2013 HSC Examination, as in previous years, the approved list of scientific calculators does not apply. Students are permitted to use calculators, including graphics calculators.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope. Graphing calculators are never allowed ... Even in uni.

tashe

HSC
N/A
how many calculators did everyone bring to maths exam, im planning on 3, just in case.
Depends what type of person you are. If you think things never go your way, then bring 3. I personally only brought 1 to all my exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)