Are checkouts that bad? (1 Viewer)

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
Benovista said:
How many shifts do you normally get a week (hours wise?)
depends how many you want.. how many you apply for on a availability form (if your store has one) etc etc...

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
LOL....my lines are:

1: "Hi how are you? That's good." (whether they answered or not!)
2: "Just that amount?" (if it's eftpos)
3: "That's XX change. See you later!"

It's freakin histerical when someone does a seperate order and I forget and start the dialogue all over again. But at least they laughed and so did I.

When I started working for Woolies, I hated it so much....but after about 2 months, I couldn't give a sh*t about customers complaints etc.....I just try to treat it in the most non-caring way (deep down...) But in front of customers I'd be like OMG this is serious and we must treat this problem with care...etc..lol

If this helps anyone who hates it and did drama - - When I hated working, I would get into character. I would seriously get into "checkout chick" character and be all peasant. It lasted around....4 hours? then you just get so tired and exhausted of being happy.....works wonders to get thru a shift!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
MissMacbeth said:
It's freakin histerical when someone does a seperate order and I forget and start the dialogue all over again. But at least they laughed and so did I.

haha i do that :) especially when im tired and i dont pay attention to whos coming through and one customer leaves the store through my checkout after buying something, then comes back through again.. ahhh its funny :)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
well i went there and they told me I had to apply online... freaken great! So Im almost finished the online application but they want 2 references... ahhh! I only have one. I dont have anyone else who isnt family!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
family friends? next door neighbours? (haha i used my next door neighbour) teachers? there are loads of people u can use.. just find people that are gonna say good stuff bout you :)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
well i left school in 2003, i have a written reference... but thats no good obviously... we dont really have any good family friends, that im close to anyway. Our neighbours dont speak much english... im going to have to think about it.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
even though u left school in 2003 im sure there will be some teachers there that you got along with well who wouldnt mind being a reference/referee for you :) but i guess there wouldnt be much communication between ex-students and teachers these days would there? i dunno... there must be someone u can use??

ramanij

man i applied to woolies and coles like in december 2004 does anyone know when they are recruiting again + what do they actually look for people with experience ? (bcause i dont have any):(

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i know woolies doesnt look for people experience.. .well the store in my town doesnt anyway... unless they want an apprentice or something then they do...

umm.. as for recruiting.... id say maybe after the holidays when they have some time to calm down after the christmas rush and stuff - but dont hold me to that..

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, woolies will start again soon wen all the peeps going 2 uni quit (like me)

i love getting into freakishly happy mode. and u smile heaps and "have a lovely evening" and "how are YOU today?"....i love it.

another pro, we're pretty powerful, like, the customers NEED us, sometimes when i dun like someone i purposely go slow, hehehe

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
I love when customers dont have enough money to pay for their stuff or they accidentally spent all their money on their card and still cant pay for it. I had a lady today who had $73 worth of stuff. Her card declined so i did it again cos sometimes it works a second time. Declined again. She looks at me weird then pulls out her phone. Starts talking to person arguing with them over money i guess. Meanwhile a whole line full of people.
Okay the lady has $50 to pay with. Means taking off $23 worth of stuff. Sub next it. oops forgot about discount. Never took a discount off so had to ring bell and turn on light. I was put on the furthest register away from the service desk. Service manager comes down stands 10 metres away and expects me to explain. I say i need your help. Comes behind counter. Takes off discount. I take off $23 worth of meat and something else. ANything subtracted over $20 has to be authorised. Manager uses keys. Woman pays. Drama over.

MEANWHILE Mr impatient behind her is doing the loud obvious sighing that he is annoyed.
I apologise. He tells me that the register that i am operating is cursed because everytime he comes to that one it breaks down. I apologise.

oh yeah and we are changing everything around in the store for some reason. so the oldies are complaining. Yesterday i had a woman saying that it is a bloody inconvienience and that she can see the clip clops(her name for management) not caring about the customers and then starts to tell me about the authority figures when she was nursing. All while fumbling with her cash and holding up the line YET AGAIN!!!

Oh yeah i also had a $350+ grocery done which someone couldnt pay for...She goes i will be back. going to get money out. 4 hours later still hasnt returned?!?!?! all that effort for nothing!!!!
[/rant]

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
Yeah i work on checkouts sometimes, the only thing that annoys me is repetitiveness, like nearly every person pays on eftpos so sometimes when ive scanned everything and say just that amount on your card and they look at me funny and pull out cash, i feel so stoopid!!!

Jessie moo moo

HSC
I started my job at a servo the other day and things i hate are
: after you have rung up the bill, the customer decides they want something else or if the bill comes to $50.50 they decide the have the 50 cents ARGHH :rolleyes:
: people who swipe there cards before i have pressed efpos
: I also have trouble with the smokes considering i don't smoke myself.

: Customers who can't speak english, or make dirty or rude comments.
: just customers whinging in general arghhh.

micky25

HSC
Jessie moo moo: I started my job at a servo the other day and things i hate are
: after you have rung up the bill, the customer decides they want something else or if the bill comes to $50.50 they decide the have the 50 cents ARGHH
: people who swipe there cards before i have pressed efpos
: I also have trouble with the smokes considering i don't smoke myself.

: Customers who can't speak english, or make dirty or rude comments.
: just customers whinging in general arghhh.

Hey i fully agree... but also the bad things r:

-ppl commenting on the busyness of the store.... after about 100 comments which are ALL the same it gets so annoying!
-ppl commenting that 'i left my gren bags in the car' and me trying to think up yet another original response other than 'mmm' and trying to look as though i care
-when on full service and FINALLY have a bit of a break of customers, and then a person with a basket comes along and goes 'oh you looked lonely'.... it is so hard not to reply 'no really im fine! ... GO TO EXPRESS!!!!!'

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah the people come up to you and go 'you look like you need something to do' i'm like yeah after 2 hours nonstop i want 2 seconds to myself.
The green bag thing - my response ' yeah that happens all the time' *fake grin* customer happy?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Did anyone who worked in Franklins checkouts today at around 2-5 pm notice that the register screen changed? And if they noticed it, did the supervisors start to panic? Because I upgraded the screens today from my computer and got a few calls about how the screen changed and supervisors didnt know how to use them, even though an email was sent out to all stores telling them of the change.

kirabolton

HSC
I've been at Woolworths for about 6 months now and although there are a lot of cons to checkouts i've actually gotten to quite like my job.

PROS -

* Being me i like the fact the majority of people who work at supermarkets tend to be guys, and a lot of the time they can be good looking.
* You usually make friends with people so a lot of the time at work is spent talking.
*The pay can be pretty good especially when you supervise like me which is strange coz i hadn't been there that long but it's good coz you just stand around a lot of the time especialyl when doing close!
*Customers CAN be nice sometimes.

CONS - a lot of the older 'important' people can be bitches
* shifts can be demanding and hard to get out of
* pay for just normal registers is crap
*leg cramps
*early starts
*late nights
*SHITS OF CUSTOMERS I HATE THEM SOOOO MUCH AND OLD PEOPLE!!!

Idyll

HSC
biggles04 said:
I've been asked to do that before too, and I feel exactly the same way.
i'm fairly certain with their permission it should all be fine. i think the main things are to do it out in the open, in front of the customer and other staff (along with the security cameras of course), just so it's clear to everybody it's all above board and you're doing precisely as you're told. also, if you do it in front of the customer, you can be comfortable that you're not upsetting them in any way.

interestingly, i was once asked by a blind lady to punch in her pin number for her. i'd never realised it before, but i really did wonder at that stage why on earth the keypads don't have indentations on them.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
just noticed-500th post

i never wondered that. Come to think of it . our store isnt very disabled friendly!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)