Architecture!!! (1 Viewer)

What Uni Are You Going To?

• Total voters

9deuce

MADE
HSC
I want to do architecture, but I don't think my UAI will be high enough.
I'll probably end up doing industrial design, as I'm interested in the automotive industry.
If I could get a job at Pininfarina, it would be a dream come true.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
williamycai said:
i think all arch courses in unis are professional reconised, well uts is as well, read the uac guide, it says which are professional. i know that interior design isn't professional. anyways about masters, its was 7 years, now its dropped to 5. theres no such thing as a bachelor of architecture. for me only bachelor of arts in architecture for 3 years, then i get my masters. i haven't had time to upload some awesome works we had. i should post the ppl who got hd's up sometime and tutors works. damn they are insane1!! but but i got hd for this sem for design...tho i think i might have failed construction. lol construction is so fucking lame. do you guys do details and shit in unsw? cos seriously, over here, they hand us a assignment and its go figure it out from scratch, you have 5 weeks. good luck. thats seriously how it is, the tutors don't help with shit in construction and detailing. i am so angered when i think about it!!! aarrrhhahrhrhahrr.
what yr are you in man?

xxPanDa

HSC
Purp|e said:
what yr are you in man?
i believe he is isn 2nd year with me ahaha

we were talking about which uni to choose here, years ago

and he found me on BoredAussie's playing DotA a few weeks ago lol

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
haha ohh... yeah, cause in third yr we basically did the same assignment as you guys. we havn't done shit on construction. we totally got thrown in the deep end. i just passed that subject and apparently quite a few failed! i think in general, you guys know alot more than us... haha, we never got taught anything (ie. programs etc.) + you guys get to do fucking fun stuff like make movies... total bullshit!!! gah

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
9deuce said:
I want to do architecture, but I don't think my UAI will be high enough.
I'll probably end up doing industrial design, as I'm interested in the automotive industry.
If I could get a job at Pininfarina, it would be a dream come true.
hey don't let uai stop you from acheiving what you want to do; even if u don get in through your hsc there are many other ways of studying architecture or alternative routes to uni...and the good thing is you dont even need a professional degree to become recognized as a quality designer...some of the world's most famous architects never even attempted a professional degree

Fat Fung

HSC
angmor said:
hey don't let uai stop you from acheiving what you want to do; even if u don get in through your hsc there are many other ways of studying architecture or alternative routes to uni...and the good thing is you dont even need a professional degree to become recognized as a quality designer...some of the world's most famous architects never even attempted a professional degree

but i heard ppl DO get in the course under cut off, and more ppl are gettin below the cut off then it used to be

btw...is it hard to bridge into Arch?

like from int. Arch -> Arch or Arch Science -> Arch

angmor

HSC
Fat Fung said:
but i heard ppl DO get in the course under cut off, and more ppl are gettin below the cut off then it used to be

btw...is it hard to bridge into Arch?

like from int. Arch -> Arch or Arch Science -> Arch
nope not hard at all...last year i was doing med science, didnt like it so i applied for both UNSW and USYD; unsw uses your uai results or uni results (whichever is better) to assess you for entry, same with USYD but they allow you to submit an additional portfolio...in the end both unis made me offers; i went to unsw.
so basically, you can be doing ANY course at the moment and still get into architecture. its all about how well you're doing at uni now

martylee

HSC
hello all,
im currently doing my hsc this year and im really interested in getting into an architectural course at either UTS or USYD (which i highly doubt ill get into), UNSW is way too far for me. so UTS it is, which has a UAI cut off of 88.10. i doubt i will get 88.10 but possibly could get in through EAS which im hoping ill get soon.
i was just wondering if i dont get the right UAI to get into B.Archi, what other ways could i get in?
i was thinking of doing TAFE, then applying in after i finish the TAFE course. are there any courses i could do then transfer into architecture later on? i called up the student helpline at UTS and they were no help at all, telling me if i dont make the right uai, then i cant get in. which isnt the case of what i'm reading in this threat atm.
my other options are engineering at UTS which is OK, i dont really mind, but its not what i really want to do, i know that if i go ahead and do engineering, im gonna wish i wasnt doing it and rather be doing architecture. and my god i hate engineering at the moment. if i cant stand engineering in high school i will die in uni.
so my question is, If i wasnt to make it into B.Archi at UTS, but DO make it into my other preferences (engineering), should i go ahead and do engineering? would i be able to transfer into architecure later on? are there courses that will enable me to transfer into architecture? or should i just ditch them and do architecture at TAFE and hope that i can apply for a uni course after i finish?
so pretty much WHAT OTHER WAYS CAN I GET INTO ARCHITECTURE, and which way would you reccommend, cos seriously, this is the only thing that i want to do and am excited for in my future.
any help would be appreciated. thanks

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
there's still a few ways to get in man... don't panic too hard.

1. get into engineering or anything you can make it into... but bear in mind you'll need to do it for a whole yr + get fairly decent marks. this is what i did... but i kind of cheated, a little.. hah, i did one semester of civil eng. then second semester i used electives to do easy subjects + an arch subject. then after a yr transferred straight across with no worries.

2. TAFE... dont quote me on this, but i think in the past uts has been the uni to take in a substantial number of tafies, but i THINK they're drifting away from that link now. downfall is you have to complete 2 yrs at tafe... and you only get a certain amount of credit for that.

Fat Fung

HSC
Purp|e said:
there's still a few ways to get in man... don't panic too hard.

1. get into engineering or anything you can make it into... but bear in mind you'll need to do it for a whole yr + get fairly decent marks. this is what i did... but i kind of cheated, a little.. hah, i did one semester of civil eng. then second semester i used electives to do easy subjects + an arch subject. then after a yr transferred straight across with no worries.

2. TAFE... dont quote me on this, but i think in the past uts has been the uni to take in a substantial number of tafies, but i THINK they're drifting away from that link now. downfall is you have to complete 2 yrs at tafe... and you only get a certain amount of credit for that.

i was thinkin to either get into Arch computing, int. arch or whatever and then bridge it into the 2nd year

angmor

HSC
martylee said:
hello all,
im currently doing my hsc this year and im really interested in getting into an architectural course at either UTS or USYD (which i highly doubt ill get into), UNSW is way too far for me. so UTS it is, which has a UAI cut off of 88.10. i doubt i will get 88.10 but possibly could get in through EAS which im hoping ill get soon.
i was just wondering if i dont get the right UAI to get into B.Archi, what other ways could i get in?
i was thinking of doing TAFE, then applying in after i finish the TAFE course. are there any courses i could do then transfer into architecture later on? i called up the student helpline at UTS and they were no help at all, telling me if i dont make the right uai, then i cant get in. which isnt the case of what i'm reading in this threat atm.
my other options are engineering at UTS which is OK, i dont really mind, but its not what i really want to do, i know that if i go ahead and do engineering, im gonna wish i wasnt doing it and rather be doing architecture. and my god i hate engineering at the moment. if i cant stand engineering in high school i will die in uni.
so my question is, If i wasnt to make it into B.Archi at UTS, but DO make it into my other preferences (engineering), should i go ahead and do engineering? would i be able to transfer into architecure later on? are there courses that will enable me to transfer into architecture? or should i just ditch them and do architecture at TAFE and hope that i can apply for a uni course after i finish?
so pretty much WHAT OTHER WAYS CAN I GET INTO ARCHITECTURE, and which way would you reccommend, cos seriously, this is the only thing that i want to do and am excited for in my future.
any help would be appreciated. thanks
you can always do civil engineering combined with architecture, if you dont make the cutoff

Fat Fung

HSC
talk abt engineering (civil with Architecture), it is just as high as b Architecture.......

may as well just do Arch instead lmaoXD

Fat Fung

HSC
went to USyd and UNSW arch open days...
i gotta admit UNSW is better

xxPanDa

HSC
about alternate entry into architecure

i know a guy who did it and TAFE, and they let him in UTS
of course he gets exempt a few subject, and his also got a job at an archi firm, while his studying,
its pretty hard to get a job during ur first , 2nd years of study...

i also know a couple of guys who did architecutral computing at UNSW
we do the exactly same thing in first year(... but thats all changed now the courses are different) some didnt even needed to try very hard, and got transfered into the pure architecture course, and continued on with us the next year.

i know some interior architecture guys at UNSW, they did it while we were in first year, and transfered and joined us in hte secound year, but they needed to catchup on some subjects that we did in first year.

about Civil engineer + archi.
its acutally mainly an engineering course, with just ONE or two architecutre subjects a semester (out of 4). u dont become a qualified architect,
the UAI cutoff was low, becaue wen it came out the first year know one knew about it, it wasnt even in the booklets.
generally from what i saw, these people struggled in the archi subjects we did together. teachers had to made exemptions for them like
we submit 6 drawings, they only need to submit 4 drawings..
dunno anyone from this degree that got transfered

but hey anyone can transfer, i know a guy who transfered from medical science.

@ Fat Fung
lol what did made u conclusion? did u talk to the asian lecture? ahhah
or was it just how the uni looks better than the old crappy usyd building
i gota admit, usyd has much better facilities than us
we sometimes have to go over to their uni xD
but than i heard one of my tutors say the management there are screwing the course... but than he could be one of those old biased, conservative guys...that gave me a crappy pass.....

Fat Fung

HSC
civil engineering in arch raise up to B Arch studies last year =.="
both 90.30....

i am either thinking to get straight into B Arch if i can..
otherwise either do B Int. Arch or B Arch Comp, graduate, and then do the final year of B Arch studies and head off with M Arch.

total 7 years of uni..
thats if i can.....

himynameisho

HSC
I wanna do architecture too, but every person I've met doing this tells me it requires A LOT OF commitment and the sacrifice of SLEEP. i'm also rather worried about job security as I am a rather insecure person myself

and yes Open Days are VERY deceiving. I like UTS and UNSW most. Who attended the UTS one? the female presenter kept saying "We like to Partayy"

Bountyhuntr2004

HSC
Does anybody know anything about the Co-op program for architecture? on the other hand its a new program for 09 so i dont really expect much info on it but has anyone bothered to research it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)