Appropriate Amount of hours of sleep for a 16/17yr old ??? (1 Viewer)

josephm

HSC
Approx as i've hear to much isn't good and likewise about less such as 9hrs -7hrs at times etc

josephm

HSC
yea i sleep less than that will be getting 6 hours of sleep tonight.... :)

starshine02

HSC
On school nights I aim for 7 hrs but I take a while to get to sleep so usually I don't. I do end up catching up on it during the weekends though! :)

starshine02

HSC
Oh and 6 isn't too bad cos I know someone who sleeps 4hrs during school days :O Personally I can't do that..

josephm

HSC
woow :O 4 hours would be nothing... if i did that i'd be dead for school or anything the next day.. i sleep at leased 10 or more hours on the weekends which is bad because overall i'm not consistent at all its a high to low ahah thats why i was wondering about it

starshine02

HSC
woow :O 4 hours would be nothing... if i did that i'd be dead for school or anything the next day.. i sleep at leased 10 or more hours on the weekends which is bad because overall i'm not consistent at all its a high to low ahah thats why i was wondering about it
Yeah same except she's still functioning fine so.....

I'm pretty sure most teens would have a sleep cycle similar to that so you shouldn't worry too much about it. But it is recommended to get consistent amounts of sleep each night

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Oh and 6 isn't too bad cos I know someone who sleeps 4hrs during school days :O Personally I can't do that..
I average about 4-5 hrs on weekdays, however I do get the odd goodnight's sleep and get 7 hrs. On weekends I usually get 8 hrs + from sleeping in lol.

starshine02

HSC
I average about 4-5 hrs on weekdays, however I do get the odd goodnight's sleep and get 7 hrs. On weekends I usually get 8 hrs + from sleeping in lol.
I think 5 is like my minimum. I can do 4 on one offs but not every night. I get headaches and I'm really weak if I don't sleep enough.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Err you really shouldn't say something isn't 'too bad' based on someone elses' terrible habits. 8-10 hours per night is recommended for teenagers as you're still growing and developing, and 9 hours a night for adults.

Sleeping in on the weekend ruins habits established during the week when you're waking up early for school. You're getting out of sync and that's why so many people struggle to wake up on Monday mornings.

You should really try to keep regular hours and maintain them over the weekend. I realise a lot of students find the pressure of staying up late to do work more important than sleeping, but if you sleep well enough, you will be able to concentrate and work better.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Teenagers should be getting minimum of 8 hrs of sleep, 8-10 is a good range.

It also helps to not totally screw up your body clock on the weekends, and to not sleep in massively from when you get up on a weekday.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Err you really shouldn't say something isn't 'too bad' based on someone elses' terrible habits. 8-10 hours per night is recommended for teenagers as you're still growing and developing, and 9 hours a night for adults.

Sleeping in on the weekend ruins habits established during the week when you're waking up early for school. You're getting out of sync and that's why so many people struggle to wake up on Monday mornings.

You should really try to keep regular hours and maintain them over the weekend. I realise a lot of students find the pressure of staying up late to do work more important than sleeping, but if you sleep well enough, you will be able to concentrate and work better.
Yeah I wouldn't recommend it, I would sleep more if I could. I have to try and make more of an effort to go to bed earlier though.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I wouldn't recommend it, I would sleep more if I could. I have to try and make more of an effort to go to bed earlier though.
SLeeping earlier is also better for your health and well being.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
a lot of people find it hard to just go to bed earlier as their body doesn't tend to get tired until their 'normal' time. Probably worth trying to get up earlier (maybe do some study before school instead of after) because that will make you tired earlier

R

RishadM

Yeah, 8-10 hours of sleep is the healthy/recommended amount. Ten on weekdays is probably not that practical - but 8 can easily be done.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
SLeeping earlier is also better for your health and well being.
Really I already feel pretty happy though lol.

a lot of people find it hard to just go to bed earlier as their body doesn't tend to get tired until their 'normal' time. Probably worth trying to get up earlier (maybe do some study before school instead of after) because that will make you tired earlier
Thanks for the advice both of you, I'll give it a try.

yasminee96

HSC
I wake up 5 am every day because my mum leaves the house really early because she works in the city, and dad is a taxi driver so he has to start working at 7 so he has to get me to school heaps early; so yeh i wake up at 5 lol. Then my dad doesnt pick me up from school until about 4:30 and i don't get home until 5:30...by the time i eat shower etc. it's around 7. I'm in yr 12 so i dedicate about 3 hours a night for school work, so i can't get to bed until like 10, and this is normal nights, no exams or assignments etc. meaning max sleep i can get is 7 hours assuming i fall asleep as soon as i hit my cushion haha. Been doing this for the past 3 years. Literally soooo sleep deprived :( I have to give up studying some nights because i simply can't stay awake aha. You people have any advice for me? D: I've noticed my lack of concentration and effort in class and studies now as well and i can see how it's going to negatively affect my HSC :/

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I wake up 5 am every day because my mum leaves the house really early because she works in the city, and dad is a taxi driver so he has to start working at 7 so he has to get me to school heaps early; so yeh i wake up at 5 lol. Then my dad doesnt pick me up from school until about 4:30 and i don't get home until 5:30...by the time i eat shower etc. it's around 7. I'm in yr 12 so i dedicate about 3 hours a night for school work, so i can't get to bed until like 10, and this is normal nights, no exams or assignments etc. meaning max sleep i can get is 7 hours assuming i fall asleep as soon as i hit my cushion haha. Been doing this for the past 3 years. Literally soooo sleep deprived :( I have to give up studying some nights because i simply can't stay awake aha. You people have any advice for me? D: I've noticed my lack of concentration and effort in class and studies now as well and i can see how it's going to negatively affect my HSC :/
That's so tough, i feel for you. You have it much harder then a lot of us who complain over small things (mainly myself)

jnney

lemon
HSC
How come your dad has to take you to and from school?

yasminee96

HSC
That's so tough, i feel for you. You have it much harder then a lot of us who complain over small things (mainly myself)
Thank you ><

How come your dad has to take you to and from school?
Because my mum leaves super early so she cant take us. and my lazy brother wont get his Ps -_- i can't get mine till october :( private buses from my school are super expensive and my parents don't want me to take public transport because they fear for me haha cute parents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)