Applying for cadetships in first year uni (1 Viewer)

dyjs

HSC
Like many people, I didn't didn't apply for cadetships this year as a year 12. I'm just wondering whether it is easier to get a big 4 cadetship when applying as a yr 12 student or as a first year uni.

If anyone who has been successful to applying for cadetship as a first year could please shed light on cadetships that would be great

Also I read the requirements was a single commerce degree when applyig as a first year, however I have my mind set on a commerce and actuary double degree. So would it be plausible to start of with a commerce and actuary double but say that I'm in a single in the application and If I happen to be successfull, Immediately transfer out.. And make up the courses in summer school? How much in common does single commerce degree and com/actuary have in common in terms of courses in the first year?

HSC
In regards to your single degree commerce question - firms often hire students with single degrees because it allows the students to leave uni faster to work for them. Also a student doing a double degree and cadetship is much much longer and costs more $$$$. Firms dont like paying more $$$$.

I do com/law and I messaged EY about cadetships. They only take double degree students in Brisbane apparently. In sydney they prefer single degrees.

In the first semester for commerce and actuarial studies you have to sit a maths course (maths 1A) then in your second semester you sit maths 1B and some actuarial studies course. So after the year if you do decide to transfer out you wasted 3/8 subjects that you've done. These subjects cannot be credited into your single degree commerce subject.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
In regards to your single degree commerce question - firms often hire students with single degrees because it allows the students to leave uni faster to work for them. Also a student doing a double degree and cadetship is much much longer and costs more $$$$. Firms dont like paying more $$$$.

I do com/law and I messaged EY about cadetships. They only take double degree students in Brisbane apparently. In sydney they prefer single degrees.

In the first semester for commerce and actuarial studies you have to sit a maths course (maths 1A) then in your second semester you sit maths 1B and some actuarial studies course. So after the year if you do decide to transfer out you wasted 3/8 subjects that you've done. These subjects cannot be credited into your single degree commerce subject.
Just to point out/add, the point of the cadetship is to accelerate your position within the firm, doing a double degree defeats that purpose and as Quantum mentions costs the firm money (since you're not finishing your degree fast enough so you can do your CA(so you have the knowledge to senior more jobs)). I know a few small firms who don't mind taking double degrees as they're hiring on the basis of cheap labour rather then trying to progress you within the firm. EY(and sometimes PwC) seem to hire on and off for comm/law degrees for tax cadets, just depends on the year I reckon.

Where does your interest lie? Actuarial or Accounting? Two quite different things and you seem quite eager to drop the actuary degree straight up for accounting, if so why actuarial in the first place?

Finally to answer your questions the only difference will be that certain firms don't hire first years so you'll basically just have less firms to apply to

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed- where does your interest lie? The two fields are quite different although there are some common areas.

At the end of the day though, if you seriously would drop actuarial upon receiving the cadetship, then go ahead and apply- and make it very clear that's your intention. That being said if you weren't going to drop it unless you got the cadetship, the interviewer might rightfully wonder if you're genuinely committed to the accounting career path.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)