• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone reading 'Looking for Alibrandi'? (1 Viewer)

tmhai

HSC
I have to read it in the holidays, can anyone tell me what its all about?

I know theirs a movie on it, but our english teacher said that its much different from the book... thoughts on this.

Advanced English (2 unit) at Edmund Rice College

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
it is quite different from the movie and i liked the book better. basically its about a girl who is trying to find out where she fits in society, shes from italian herritage and she experiences lots of racial prejudice from girls at her school. it follows her life through out the hsc year and all the stuff that happens to her like falling in love and discovering a family scandal.

its an easy and enjoyable read and its not to complex with all the themes and events etc. hope you enjoy it

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Ok, I'll rephrase it then!
Do you seriously do Advanced English, because at our school Standard English studies the book, so your school must have a pretty low standard.
It just doesn't sound very nice, then, does it?
It was really more of a rhetorical question, emphasising it out of surprise.
Geez, duh!
Lol!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
English standard and advanced do the same modules. Except the advanced people do an extra module.

Correct me if im wrong.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Yeah, they do the same Area of Study, eg. our year is doing "Change", but Advanced do it at a higher standard and are expected to critically analyse their texts on a deeper scale, so they are naturally going to have more complex texts.
Shrug, that's what I was led to believe.

pink_rabbit_<3

HSC
N/A
tmhai said:

I know theirs a movie on it, but our english teacher said that its much different from the book... thoughts on this.

well the novel 'lookin for alibrandi' is actually very interesting..although i have to say our school finished reading it last year. Its about how this girl, Josephine Alibrandi who is in her last year of school at this catholic school, is going through all these problems with her mum and her Nonna. She also discovers love and uncovering her family's secret and also meeting her long lost dad! overall its a pretty good and simple book!!
The movie sux! the book is sooo muych better!
Enjoy reading the book!

sxciris89

-B4NK41-
HSC
ertain that c
tmhai said:

the book is really about the problems that certain teenagers go through during the senior school times, my school finished analysing the book about a year ago, and your teacher is right, the movie basically cuts all the detailed information out as the pictures and media experiences substitute the information into one screen. the book however is better than the actual film and i thought it was a very sad story,,,, i cant remmber the film exactly but all i know is that the characters were very different to how they were discribed and portrayed in the novel. im not sure if your goin to like it very much..

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Well everyone has pretty much summed the book out for you but yeah, it's a great book. Mainly girls would actually love it I think, boys might but not as much as the girl kids.

Dancegirl99

HSC
I had to read this year for English in term 1, I know the book inside out. We also wach the movie in class but the movie isn't as good as the book. I also watched the movie in Society and Culture last term , which was werid studying it again during the same yr.

The book is mainly about a girl called Josie who is in Yr 12 at an all girls catholic school in middle of Sydney. Josie thought the book goes through lots of changes in all parts of her life (school, family, etc.) She finds out family secrects, meets her father for the first time, all while preparing for the HSC.

Hope you enjoyed as much as I did!
Kim -Newcastle High (Standard English)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)