Anyone here wanting to do a bachelor of science/bachelor of arts at USYD? (1 Viewer)

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone here wanting to do a bachelor of science/bachelor of arts at USYD?
Want to see who I'm competing against or if its a popular course coz i want this course so badly. Everyone says i'll get over 85 easy but who's to know...getting really unmotivated for HSC at the moment but I still worked all day. This thing is making me depressed

Attachments

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
What's wrong with Sydney? I love the ambience there, the historic buildings and it sounds good :)
Nothing's wrong with Sydney, Shadowdude's just being a jerk. :p

Bachelor of Science/Arts is quite an interesting combination, and I've a friend who's doing it, and enjoying it heaps. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
/me considers getting the Good Uni Guide out =P

izzy88

HSC
/me considers getting the Good Uni Guide out =P
there are more to universities (or choosing a university) then the Good Uni Guide :p (eg. travel times, personal impression of the uni's by going to open days etc/talking to people in the course or who teach the courses, university life like clubs/sports etc) :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
there are more to universities (or choosing a university) then the Good Uni Guide :p (eg. travel times, personal impression of the uni's by going to open days etc/talking to people in the course or who teach the courses, university life like clubs/sports etc) :)
Well, obviously.

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
No they're the same. Sydney used to be 5 years and is now 4, so is NSW :)

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in my third year of the four-year degree (even though it was only changed for 2010, 'cause I transferred). I loooove it. I can pick anything I want to do, which means I haven't been stuck doing too many subjects I didn't want to (just maths and physiology for M Pharm at USyd). I'm majoring in French Studies, Italian Studies and Pharmacology. Only thing is you will probably have to do further study to do anything with it, depending on what you study. I still don't know whether I want to continue to pharmacy or translation studies.

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in my third year of the four-year degree (even though it was only changed for 2010, 'cause I transferred). I loooove it. I can pick anything I want to do, which means I haven't been stuck doing too many subjects I didn't want to (just maths and physiology for M Pharm at USyd). I'm majoring in French Studies, Italian Studies and Pharmacology. Only thing is you will probably have to do further study to do anything with it, depending on what you study. I still don't know whether I want to continue to pharmacy or translation studies.
Yeah I'm just doing it so I can hopefully get a high GPA then go into medicine because I want to major in music and major in psychology :) I was going to do medical science but then I don't have a back up and I don't want to be a medical scientist haha so this way if I don't get in I have a back up and do a dip ed and become a music teacher or go into music therapy :)

bbychocoholic

HSC
I'm a first year student (this year) doing the B Science and Arts degree and I'm actually dropping the Science to just Arts (and yes I am aware of all the bad hype around doing just an Arts degree but I'm hoping to use it to get into post grad something or other havent really decided yet -.- or transfer into another degree entirely, but that's a different story). The reason I'm dropping Science is because I found it too stressful and just not for me.

The B Science and Arts degree is a good course overall, though some of the subjects/units you can pick (MBLG1001 Molecular Biology and Genetics) can become a nightmare and have a lot of work involved. The freedom to pick your own units is great but it can also be very confusing cos there's so many options and you gotta try to balance everything. Additionally, you tend to do more science subjects than Arts (my first semester I only had one Arts subject and 3 science and this year I have two from each side). The Science can also really add up your contact hours at uni too, especially if you do the lab subjects which go for 3 - 5 hours. Most of my friends are doing 9 - 5 days all week and then there's so work to do when they get home with pre work for labs and stuff (then there's studying). Also, because B Science/Arts is such a broad course you have around a lot so it's a lot lonelier either because you don't get to see your friends every day or because you have to keep moving between Science and Arts than a course with selected subjects for you... I've had days where I don't see any of my friends at all cos we're all scattered around the uni and having clashing timetables. Just my two cents :)

shakky

HSC
Yeah I'm just doing it so I can hopefully get a high GPA then go into medicine because I want to major in music and major in psychology :) I was going to do medical science but then I don't have a back up and I don't want to be a medical scientist haha so this way if I don't get in I have a back up and do a dip ed and become a music teacher or go into music therapy :)
Wow, I want to do this course so i can do medicine as well. And believe it or not, but I'm also planning to major in music too. Although I didn't do any music for HSC (because teacher is a scum), i know some music theory and stuff, so hopefully i can make the most of this course.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
I am. I was going to do Forensic Biology @ UTS but since I got really good Italian marks I thought it would be a shame to give it up, so majoring in Italian studies for the Arts aspect and then Biochemistry for the Science aspect.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm planning on doing Science/Arts, granted that I get in to begin with. I plan on majoring in Psychology for the science component and English in the Arts component and continue into postgraduate psychology with the BA as a bonus. The reason I decided to choose the combined degree instead of either a B Science or B Arts degree is because I didn't think I wouldn't do enough English I wished to do under the Science degree and I have too many interests in the sciences to do a pure Arts degree majoring in English and Psychology (alongside the reputation and wonderful career opportunities available with an Arts degree >.>). But then I have the problem where I don't know what additional units I should do alongside English. Maybe some History or Philosophy.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Would I get in with an ATAR of 85.5?

Franky101

HSC
Does anyone know which uni will be better to do science/arts at, usyd or unsw?

Also my ATAR is 81.5, what are the chances I make the cut for unsw who's previous cut off was 80?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
are you mental
USYD is awful, i go there
full of pretentious wankers and international students, if you're from western sydney and not asian you will have a hard time finding your place there. people look at you like you have aids when you say you're from the west.
go to UNSW instead, pretty sure the degree is shorter there. always ALWAYS GO FOR THE UNI WITH THE SHORTER DEGREE or you'll regret it (like me)

Franky101

HSC
Lolz I would imagine so, just wanted to hear it from someone who knows from experience, thanks for the advice though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)