Any real-world 'smart' people feel really inferior on BOS? (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Try going to a school with a 90+ average atar.

Fiction

HSC
Been there done that, there are still 2015'ers here who I would feel threatened by (academically ofc) if they went to my school and did the same subjects as me.

EDIT:

**meant 2015'ers on BOS lol

CanU_Not

HSC
Every school will always have a couple of people who like the HSC, realise that it's probably the most straight-forward way to get to their desired Uni course and naturally are gonna try their best at it. Obviously those people are going to be the ones on a study website like BoS- the ones that don't care won't bother coming here lewl.

Therefore it only makes sense that ATAR goals and predictions are going to be high here.

enoilgam

HSC
I've been on BoS for four years and I've always said that the community is a poor reflection of the student population. The vast majority of users are high performers who are extremely intelligent - I went to a non-selective high school and it's rare to see individual students of the calibre you see on BoS. I dont mean to sound arrogant, but from a personal standpoint, I'm used to being one of the more intelligent people amongst my friends (in terms of education specifically) but on BoS I'd be considered average to below average. It's just the demographic of the site.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Another thing ag6858. You and only you can define your own intelligence. For me, it's 75+. For my mate, its 50+. Everyone on here has different measures of their own intelligence, and don't formulate yours based on what you see on here. Create yours based on what you want to see the morning of ATAR releases. Create it so you can be content with it. Hope that eases your mind. I too was in the same position as you, but it took me a long time to realise that in my view, I am smart, and IDGAF about anyone else's view.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'd agree with what everyone has said here.

On the other hand, i feel BoS can be beneficial and provide students who are from poorly ranking schools the ability to get a better idea of how they are currently performing. It is difficult for students to stay focused and motivated when they're getting 90 + in internal tasks. When these kids are aiming for top marks it is only beneficial to see how high the standards are to ensure they don't get complacent, especially when they're surrounded by a cohort who isn't focused academically. Carrots math exams are a great example of this whilst in other cases students could exchange essays etc to see the expectations of 15/15

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Read up on normal distribution if you aren't in the top 0.1% you're average as fuck

I've been on BoS for four years and I've always said that the community is a poor reflection of the student population. The vast majority of users are high performers who are extremely intelligent - I went to a non-selective high school and it's rare to see individual students of the calibre you see on BoS. I dont mean to sound arrogant, but from a personal standpoint, I'm used to being one of the more intelligent people amongst my friends (in terms of education specifically) but on BoS I'd be considered average to below average. It's just the demographic of the site.
You're in the wrong room.

peri24

HSC
htf does the bos determine if the person is smart or not? here they are all super hard workers, well the top ones at least.

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
There are two people I know my age who I would consider genuinely brilliant. One happens to be good at the HSC, will probably get 99+ ATAR. The other one's estimated in the 70s-80s. Both are intensely curious about everything, both are incredibly original thinkers, both have great intellect, great social skills, and they are very humble at the same time. Only the work of the one estimated in the 70s-80s doesn't comply with the standards of marking criterias, while the 99+ one does. Who gives a shit at the end of the day? After school, they will both flourish anyway, when they go off and do their own thing.

britaker

HSC
omg it seems like every third person here does 4 unit and they're all coming like 1st or =1st.
I FEEL SO INTIMIDATED with my pathetic 3 unit results and my predicted pathetic high E3. :S

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
At my school, I'm considered relatively smart and hardworking, in the 70th-80th percentile at a top 150 school. However, whenever I go on here I feel like such a dumb shit reading page after page of 95+ ATAR prediction, making my mid-80s prediction seem really pathetic. I'm not hugey fussed as I only need 75 for my course but I was wondering if any others feel the same, going from big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond
Smart people do not feel inferior when confronted with other smart people.

Also ATAR is not a reflection of intelligence - nothing in the HSC is.

BoS is the cream of the crop (excl Ruse), everyone here has high expectations whether or not they achieve them. Don't let it get you down because there are a lot of us here that didn't perform as well as we thought we would (ego's bigger than our heads).
Not in the slightest LOL

Did that and there's really not that much to it...

Depends how you're thinking about things, mate. I would consider you to be among some of the most intelligent people on BoS which isn't reflected in something as petty and redundant as an ATAR (which is very much a non-achievement anyway). You're a fantastic critical thinker which I think is the most important quality for anyone who wants to be smart.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
+1 to the enoilgam comment, definitely not 'average or below average' among any group of people, definitely not on BOS. Besides, a notable amount of people on this site are better at sounding smart than being smart.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I f33l pretty dumb at uni with my shiet mystery mark wam compared to those getting 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)