Any Radiohead fans here? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Its a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here listens to Radiohead...

At school theres about 1 or 2 people that listen to them, (not as religiously as me though) but everyone else knows them as the guys who played "Creep" and thats it. Which is a shame cos they really are easily the best band today. Three ground-breaking albums in a row, The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A. I mean c'mon, someone must appreciate them as much as I do.

Sometimes it seems I'm the only one that listens to them. So anyone else listen to them?

Also does anyone listen to any of the following:
  • Smashing Pumpins
  • Sigur Ros
  • Autechre
  • Gomez
  • Godspeed You Black Emperor!
  • Tool

edit: On second thought, maybe this thread is a bit to specific :D. Oh well too late.

Last edited:

Soap

HSC
yes i rekon they r a pretty good bad

love the OK Computer Albumn

HSC
Originally posted by Soap
yes i rekon they r a pretty good bad

love the OK Computer Albumn
Yay, someone else that likes 'em.

Thats like my favourite album of all time :D

arcarsenal

I'm using the song "This mess we're in" by PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke as a related text for dialogue.

Just thought I'd mention it.

HSC
Originally posted by arcarsenal
I'm using the song "This mess we're in" by PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke as a related text for dialogue.

Just thought I'd mention it.
heheh

Cool

I haven't that song before, but I think I might download it later...
Any good?

Do listen to Radiohead for that matter :)

HSC
Originally posted by Big Willy
neva herd of them
speaking of which, what do u think of the song on this web site?
http://biceps.tk
a bit too cliche, too similar to most dance songs (I hate most dance songs anyway, too similar to one another and too repetitive)

but seeing as you probably made it, I'll cut you some slack, its pretty good. If I was at a dance club I'd dance to it, but if it was on radio I wouldn't...

but maybe you should ask someone that likes dance music.

Radiohead don't tend to get that much radio play. cos they are seen as 'diificult' and 'non-comercial'. But they got a pretty large (they've sold 15 million albums) and devoted fan base.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by mercurydrinker
Its a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here listens to Radiohead...
YES!!! they would have to be my all-time favourite group/artist.
great music, and the cd booklet art is consistenly good as well (a nice touch).

hey...! did you know that if you pull the back out of the Kid A cd case (open case, pull out the cd, then lever cd tray out with fingers, thicker spine part first -- dont worry it won't break it :)) there's a secret booklet in there!!!

that's the reason the tray is black rather than the usual clear. i found this out from a freind's copy, i reckon i might buy the real cd (my copy is burnt) just so my radiohead cd sleeve art is complete! :D

if you're really cluey then you'll realise my sig is an extract of some text from their website.

oh good, someone else is a radiohead fanatic.

HSC
Re: Re: Any Radiohead fans here?

Originally posted by saladsugery

YES!!! they would have to be my all-time favourite group/artist.
great music, and the cd booklet art is consistenly good as well (a nice touch).

hey...! did you know that if you pull the back out of the Kid A cd case (open case, pull out the cd, then lever cd tray out with fingers, thicker spine part first -- dont worry it won't break it :)) there's a secret booklet in there!!!

that's the reason the tray is black rather than the usual clear. i found this out from a freind's copy, i reckon i might buy the real cd (my copy is burnt) just so my radiohead cd sleeve art is complete! :D

if you're really cluey then you'll realise my sig is an extract of some text from their website.

oh good, someone else is a radiohead fanatic.
Yay! Someone else likes Radiohead!

btw love your avatar :D

Yeah I know about the secret booklet at the back, I found it on the same day I bought it, cos I love album art (in particular radiohead stuff) and saw there was a picture in the centre on the Cd case and then I opened it.

I love them so much I'm making my major work for visual arts a visual representation of Kid A :D.

How long have you been a fan?
Which album is your favourite?
What about favourite song?

I've been a fan since Kid A was released, so about 2 years.
Favourite album is OK Computer, closely followed by Kid A.
Probably Paranoid Android, cos its such an epic.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Re: Re: Re: Any Radiohead fans here?

How long have you been a fan?
Which album is your favourite?
What about favourite song?
In that order:
  • About 3 years, maybe a bit more. i liked their stuff for a bit beore that (what i heard on the radio), then dad got me ok computer as a birthday present, and it grew on me
  • probably a split between Kid A and amnesiac (much of which was from the kid A recording sessions)... then ok computer
  • everything in it's right place. definitely.
have you got the live album/I Might Be Wrong? if yes, how is it?

Anton

HSC
I like a bit of Radiohead too.
I Might Be Wrong isn't too bad - some versions of the songs are fantastic. But with only 7 tracks and around 35 minutes of music, it's a bit of a rort (I got it for free, but if I paid I might be irritated). But it's not bad.
I'd say Amnesiac is their best album just because it's such an absolute mindfuck. Kid A would be up there though, what with the bizarre soundscapes and genius production. I'd say Radiohead are the Pink Floyd of the late 90s and early 00s, but the fact is that they're better than Pink Floyd.

Anton

Ish

Radiohead Rocks

Radiohead rule, I have all their albums except pablo honey, I love them. they are definately my all time favourite band. Paraniod Android and OK computer is my favourite song and album, though the live version of like spinning plates is close.

Their music is great, but I am not a big fan of their recent artwork. I prefer the simpler stuff on m OK computer to the kid A stuff which just looks like amature drawings and a dodgy Bryce concoction. What is your art work about? Did you see the artwok in Art express this year inspired by radiohead?

www.followmearound.com is a great radiohead site too, lots of info and gutair tabs.

Have you heard the Vines? a Nice little Sydney outfit, which besides Nirvana and Beatles influences are greatly influence by Radiohead.

HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Radiohead fans here?

In that order:
  • About 3 years, maybe a bit more. i liked their stuff for a bit beore that (what i heard on the radio), then dad got me ok computer as a birthday present, and it grew on me
  • probably a split between Kid A and amnesiac (much of which was from the kid A recording sessions)... then ok computer
  • everything in it's right place. definitely.
have you got the live album/I Might Be Wrong? if yes, how is it?
cool.

One of my favourite tracks is Everything in its Right Place, its awesome, especially when your listening to it in bed or in the shower...

Um, I Might Be Wrong is good. But I was disappointed cos its so damn short, only eight tracks. But some of the new versions sound cool.

Like Spinning Plates: completely different to the studio version and almost as good. Mostly piano.
Everything in its Right Place: Very good, nowhere near as good as the studio version though :) Its almost completely improvised in some sections.
Idioteque: More intense and raw than the album version. But one of their best live songs.
True Love Waits: this is an unreleased song. It sounds like Bends era Radiohead, its an acoustic song with just Thom on guitar.

HSC
Re: Radiohead Rocks

Originally posted by Ish
Radiohead rule, I have all their albums except pablo honey, I love them. they are definately my all time favourite band. Paraniod Android and OK computer is my favourite song and album, though the live version of like spinning plates is close.

Their music is great, but I am not a big fan of their recent artwork. I prefer the simpler stuff on m OK computer to the kid A stuff which just looks like amature drawings and a dodgy Bryce concoction. What is your art work about? Did you see the artwok in Art express this year inspired by radiohead?

www.followmearound.com is a great radiohead site too, lots of info and gutair tabs.

Have you heard the Vines? a Nice little Sydney outfit, which besides Nirvana and Beatles influences are greatly influence by Radiohead.
I have to disagree with what you said about Kid a being amateurish. Its easily got the best production of any Radiohead album. And as for OK Computer being simpler, not really... more traditional perhaps...

anyways my artwork is just the visual images I get in my head when I listen to the music and also the colours I associate with each song...

So say the track "Kid A", when I listen to the song I see dead trees, an alien landscape and mountains and the colours I see are grey, red and blue. So I'll just basically just paint, draw what I see.

oh and I did see the artworks inspired by Radiohead, they were damn good, the year before there was one as well. But I doubt i'll get into Artexpress though :p

And the Vines, I only heard one song from them, their single. Its alright, Its a bit to raw and I'm not really into that neo-retro rock stuff (The Strokes, White Stripes etc.), just seems like a step backwards. I don't really see the Radiohead influence though, but I haven't heard the album. I've recently go into more electronica type stuff like Autechre, Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin, which were influences of Radiohead and sounds similar to some of the new Radiohead stuff.

edit: yeah I've been to followmearound.com, but I prefer www.ateaseweb.com which has a great forum there. I suggest you join that one :)

Last edited:

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Re: Re: Radiohead Rocks

I've recently go into more electronica type stuff like Autechre, Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin, which were influences of Radiohead and sounds similar to some of the new Radiohead stuff.
haven't heard/of autechre, but the boards of canada are very cool (when i get enough spare $$$ i'll buy their album i think), as is aphex twin -- i used to listen to a bit of his earlier stuff (come to daddy was a favourite -- but very heavy) but havent bought/acquired any releases since. have you/anyone here got any of his stuff?

art of fighting are very good a sydney (or melboune?) outfit -- not electronic but their sound is influenced by radiohead -- sort of ok computer-sounding (but v. laid back).

ok then.

HSC
Re: Re: Re: Radiohead Rocks

haven't heard/of autechre, but the boards of canada are very cool (when i get enough spare $$$ i'll buy their album i think), as is aphex twin -- i used to listen to a bit of his earlier stuff (come to daddy was a favourite -- but very heavy) but havent bought/acquired any releases since. have you/anyone here got any of his stuff?

art of fighting are very good a sydney (or melboune?) outfit -- not electronic but their sound is influenced by radiohead -- sort of ok computer-sounding (but v. laid back).

ok then.
I've got the new boards of canada CD (Geogaddi) and its quite good, the whole album is sorta like everything in the right place :D so you'll definitely like it.. Aphex Twin I haven't heard that much, but I got his newest album "Drukqs" its good but theres too many fillers on it. Come to Daddy is an AWESOME song and its one of my current favourites. If you're into ambient stuff like "treefingers" then aphex twins old stuff you might like e.g. selected ambient works volume 1 and 2, but they are hard to come by.

As for Autechre, they're my favourite band at the moment. If you like Radiohead stuff like Pulk/Pull revolving doors and Idioteque you might like them. But they aren't for everyone... I suggest you download a few songs from them before you spend any $$$. I like: "corc" "arch carrier" "underBOAC" "777". Its really rhythmic and abstract.

SkAnDi

HSC
I'm a fan of how Radiohead don't mind if you bootleg their concerts.

As such, i have a large collection of their live stuff :D (i think i do, might have been lost in the "Big Hard Drive failure of 2001" though :(), although i haven't listened to them in AGES!!!

Last time was probably when, i got over my long crush (so sad.. so teenage soap dramary).

Their music is so depressing. It's amazing how depressing it is.

Take the song "How to Dissapear Completely" for instance. Everytime i hear it, i just want to cry. Could be the associated emotions also!

HSC
Originally posted by SkAnDi
I'm a fan of how Radiohead don't mind if you bootleg their concerts.

As such, i have a large collection of their live stuff :D (i think i do, might have been lost in the "Big Hard Drive failure of 2001" though :(), although i haven't listened to them in AGES!!!

Last time was probably when, i got over my long crush (so sad.. so teenage soap dramary).

Their music is so depressing. It's amazing how depressing it is.

Take the song "How to Dissapear Completely" for instance. Everytime i hear it, i just want to cry. Could be the associated emotions also!
eh... I don't find the music depressing at all.

Its melancholy, but when I listen to (especially How to Disappear Completely:D), I get this really uplifting feeling, especially when Thom is singing with those strings building up behind his voice.

mausolus

hmmm Radiohead, I liked their first three albums but then they started dabbling in weird techno, shame. Maybe they just ran out of songs and decided to do in "new directions" to cover up their lack of ideas, then again maybe it's cos i have no patitince to actually sit down and try to understand the songs. but they're just so fucking weird
i think the best band at the moment has to be the strokes and my fave album is Nick Drake's "Bryter Later"

HSC
Originally posted by mausolus
hmmm Radiohead, I liked their first three albums but then they started dabbling in weird techno, shame. Maybe they just ran out of songs and decided to do in "new directions" to cover up their lack of ideas, then again maybe it's cos i have no patitince to actually sit down and try to understand the songs. but they're just so fucking weird
i think the best band at the moment has to be the strokes and my fave album is Nick Drake's "Bryter Later"
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I really hate it when people say the last two albums were cope out albums. They did not run out of ideas, in fact if you listen to either Kid A or Amnesiac, you'll realise that they gained MANY new ideas. They explored Jazz, Ambient, electronica, dance, IDM genres of music. It's a shame people aren't open-minded enough and just give Radioheads new stuff a chance and not just a knee jerk reaction, just because its electronica and not rock. If just staying with rock is somehow gaining ideas, I don't know what your on.

Sorry I got a bit carried away....

Give the new stuff a chance and you might just like it. Listen to it without thinking that its electronica, and just don't think of it as weird (there's music out there that is so much weirder than Radiohead stuff e.g. Aphex Twin or Autechre)...
You might actually like it... or at least appreciate it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)