Any PIP advice for newbies? (1 Viewer)

etoile rouge

HSC
Hey!
Does anyone have any advice on how to make a great PIP for us new year 12 students?
:)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Start now, like honestly right now. The earlier you start, the better.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Pick a range of methdologies that will give you both quantitative and qualitative results. These results must also specifically address your focus question and/or provide evidence to support your hypothesis.

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
I personally found making a mindmap of interests and passions. I made a large mindmap and it allowed me to associate my different interests with potential areas of study for my PIP. I felt it was invaluble.

rachel2219

HSC
Choose a topic you will be able to convey at least a little bit of interest towards throughout the year. Don't pick something you'll get bored with because you just won't put the right amount of effort into it.

START EARLY! Trust me, I had about 20 ideas before i settled on my topic which ended up being Volunteering, not the most interesting topic but I had no choice. I didn't start til like March and only worked on it like once a week or even less. Basically if I had to do it all over again i'd have started ALOT earlier

MatildaR

HSC
If you are going to do surveys you should pilot them first. I got 50 surveys back and found they didn't give me all the information I wanted so I also had to organise a focus group.
Also start early, I know it's what everyone says but it really is important, you should aim to do all your research (primary) before the easter holidays.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
For secondary research:
If you have any friends/relatives that are uni students, ask if you could use their uni resources(books, E-DATABASES)
Seriously, the amount of journals i found using my cousins account has helped me immeasurably.
Oh yeah, and use google scholar, that'a awesome.(even better with uni access)

etoile rouge

HSC
For secondary research:
If you have any friends/relatives that are uni students, ask if you could use their uni resources(books, E-DATABASES)
Seriously, the amount of journals i found using my cousins account has helped me immeasurably.
Oh yeah, and use google scholar, that'a awesome.(even better with uni access)
Thanks! I agree, its awesome. I didn't even know about the google scholar before. And I'd never thought about uni resources. Would I need their password?

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Yeah, depends on ur relationship with the person on whether theyd give it to you.
Well for books, just go through the uni's library catalogue(should be on the website) and ask them to borrow it for you.
for e-resources you'll need login into the library, so yeah you'd need their password.
Scholar's really good for academic stuff, so glad i discovered it for this.
Edit: It's not absolutely necessary btw, im sure plenty of people ahve gone without using it(and done heaps well): just incase the person you ask doesn't let you use it(understandable, i was able to access my cousins enrollment details and see his marks etc).
If you have membership with your local or school library they should have access to some databases too, however from my experience they def. weren't as abundant and extensive in comparison to the uni ones.

Last edited:

THEweirdness

HSC
Hey!
Does anyone have any advice on how to make a great PIP for us new year 12 students?
:)
yeah:
start thinking really hard about what topic you want to discuss. I got very lazy about mine, and only had a solid choice for my topic about 2 and a half months before the thing was due!
I wrote about the changing maturity of young girls, focusing on the age groups minaly between the ages of 7-12.
about 2 weeks before it was due, I had only just got my surveys done, finished about 3 days before it was due, and handed in just on time.
seriously, start now. its what's best. I should still have a copy of mine on my computer. It isn't the best - I had trouble incorporating the concepts of society and culture because of how i was rushing my work, and non of the teachers I had during that time saw ANY of my work. SERIOUSLY. keep showing your work to you teacher each time you add something new. i'm sure it will help. everyone else in the class did, and seemed to find it quite helpful.
if you're interested in reading mine, let me know, and i can try emailing it to you.

HSC
Agreed start as early as possible, even if you don't think you have strong ideas the earlier you start, the more time you have to edit and perfect you major work, and make sure it doesn't eat it into vital time like studying for trials:)

Secondly, do your bibilography as you go along (it's amazing how the little things add up)

Thirdly, footnote as you go! (I somehow managed to pull an all nighter to perfect my footnotes, even though my actual PIP content was completed.)

Do something that thorougly interests YOU (or that could become interesting to you, because you might end up shedding tears and finding it difficult to overcome barriers during the process and it's much easier to pursue something you personally enjoy rather than merely other people suggesting it is interesting.)

It's okay if your first idea isn't the one you end up with (but don't change your topic to much), because the more you work on it the more you perfect your writing skills and understanding of concepts in the society and culture course.

Don't do subjects such as drugs, sex or popular culture like twilight and emos if you can help it because you're not going to come up as being uniquely ethical or sophisticated. Generally it's better to explore a persistent cultural trait rather than a temporary pop cultural idea.

Finally, try and enjoy it:) This is your opprotunity to convey your social and cultural researching skills and what differentiates you from every other society and culture student so convey your unique passions and interests to the marker in a motivating and engaging way:)

PS feel free to check out marker's notes from previous years as that will tell you general tips from the marking centre about what they like and don't like of the pips they mark. And you can also check the standards package from like 2002 for pips or go to the state library to look at past exemplar examples. Good luck!

etoile rouge

HSC
Agreed start as early as possible, even if you don't think you have strong ideas the earlier you start, the more time you have to edit and perfect you major work, and make sure it doesn't eat it into vital time like studying for trials:)

Secondly, do your bibilography as you go along (it's amazing how the little things add up)

Thirdly, footnote as you go! (I somehow managed to pull an all nighter to perfect my footnotes, even though my actual PIP content was completed.)

Do something that thorougly interests YOU (or that could become interesting to you, because you might end up shedding tears and finding it difficult to overcome barriers during the process and it's much easier to pursue something you personally enjoy rather than merely other people suggesting it is interesting.)

It's okay if your first idea isn't the one you end up with (but don't change your topic to much), because the more you work on it the more you perfect your writing skills and understanding of concepts in the society and culture course.

Don't do subjects such as drugs, sex or popular culture like twilight and emos if you can help it because you're not going to come up as being uniquely ethical or sophisticated. Generally it's better to explore a persistent cultural trait rather than a temporary pop cultural idea.

Finally, try and enjoy it:) This is your opprotunity to convey your social and cultural researching skills and what differentiates you from every other society and culture student so convey your unique passions and interests to the marker in a motivating and engaging way:)

PS feel free to check out marker's notes from previous years as that will tell you general tips from the marking centre about what they like and don't like of the pips they mark. And you can also check the standards package from like 2002 for pips or go to the state library to look at past exemplar examples. Good luck!

Thanks! thats some great advice! How do I access the marker's notes?

jscaaa

HSC
N/A
i really need help with a PIP topic , for the trial one with my assignment i did something to do with consumerism and a materialistic lifestyle affected self actualization , but im not sure if i want to do that now , i thought if doing media and gender stereotyping , but then i want to do smething to do with nationality and races

speedofsound

HSC
i really need help with a PIP topic , for the trial one with my assignment i did something to do with consumerism and a materialistic lifestyle affected self actualization , but im not sure if i want to do that now , i thought if doing media and gender stereotyping , but then i want to do smething to do with nationality and races
media and it's depictions of other ethnicities? how the media responds to international issues?

jscaaa

HSC
N/A
uhm ive changed my topic , and it now has something to do with adolescents and branding

so my question is ..
' how does advertising influence adolescence consumerism and how does it affect their self-worth?'

and my hypothesis being ..
' Adolescent purchasing is strongly influenced by advertising and branding, and clearly affects an individuals level of self-worth'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)